Formula One Round 21 - 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (25th- 27th November)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rosberg wins the title without winning the most races and because of reliability. Just like his dad.

Campaigner family...

Keke only won 1 race that year..
The death of Villeneuve and the crash of Pironi probably helped him also.

Mighty shame Button retired from his last race. Very impressive from Force India to get 4th, and Palmer knackered Sainz.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have either Rosberg or Hamilton as the best drivers in the field, both have simply had a huge advantage for 3 years because the Mercedes got it right at the start of this engine reg and no team has been able to overcome that gap because of development restrictions. Happy to have a different driver win the title this year, but it would be damn nice if it wasn't a 2 horse race going forward.

Mighty shame Button retired from his last race. Very impressive from Force India to get 4th, and Palmer knackered Sainz.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Best of the customers teams in 4th, think that means a decent old pay day for them.

A WDC in a year doesn't always mean you're the best driver of the season. Sometimes it does and sometimes it isn't. Rosberg got the job done but he isn't top 4 driver in the world. He's 5th in my mind behind Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and ADR.

I mean sure it wasn't the best season but at least the ending was good. I would say in the last 10 years.

2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 were the best seasons.

I do wonder if you put Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso and Vettel in the same car (lets say Mercedes for example) over a 21 race season and managed to minimise mechancial faults, who would come out on top
It wouldn't be Hamilton.

Hamilton won 10 races, but I thought Rosberg put the que in the rack once he knew he only needed second each race to hold onto it. Plus I believe Nico didn't take an engine penalty which meant conserving his motors was more of a thing for late in the season.

People forget how much he dominated early and also from races 12 to 16

If the best driver on the grid won it each year Hamilton would not be a three time world champion.

Congratulations Nico

I just hope the cars are more even next year because it is a struggle to watch after about May this year once every race become a fight between two cars.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations Nico.

To me, he still feels like a "#2" driver. A superb one, but a #2 nonetheless. Perhaps as my exposure is limited to the tv coverage it holds a heavy British bias.

I always felt Webber was an awesome #2, but not quite headline material - Ricciardo and Verstappen are both "#1" types which has so far been a positive relationship, though only in its infancy. Alonso and Vettel both strong "#1" with WDC-experience as support. Is Hamilton able to hold his ranking in the team?

I'm very interested to see if "WDC" changes the dynamic further at MB, and how Lewis will cope if the other side of the garage receives favourable treatment.

Rosberg is a decent driver but I wouldn't have him in the top 8 on the grid.

The fact that he beat a superior driver and flog in Hamilton comes down to a bit of luck and too much arrogance from Hamilton not probably concentrating on what he should have been 100%.

Congratulations Nico.

To me, he still feels like a "#2" driver. A superb one, but a #2 nonetheless. Perhaps as my exposure is limited to the tv coverage it holds a heavy British bias.

I always felt Webber was an awesome #2, but not quite headline material - Ricciardo and Verstappen are both "#1" types which has so far been a positive relationship, though only in its infancy. Alonso and Vettel both strong "#1" with WDC-experience as support. Is Hamilton able to hold his ranking in the team?

I'm very interested to see if "WDC" changes the dynamic further at MB, and how Lewis will cope if the other side of the garage receives favourable treatment.
That's assuming Hamilton is still there next year, he is still uncontracted is he not?

I do wonder if you put Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso and Vettel in the same car (lets say Mercedes for example) over a 21 race season and managed to minimise mechancial faults, who would come out on top
I still think Alonso.

10th in that car is an incredible feat.

Coulthard a great interviewer . Says Hamilton you are a campaigner . Your face cant hide it . Tell us how much of a campainer you are

Coulthard could never be accused of being a fanboy for Hamilton - always quick to have a dig, no doubt jealous of his successes. In this race he was even having a go at Hamilton at one stage for NOT closing it up - "It's all very well winning races, Lewis but you've got the World Championship at stake"...

Well done Rosberg. So glad that campaigner Hamilton didn't win it.

Got to love the social media fan boy comments though, some of them are salty as f***!

Bring on the new cars in 2017.

Interesting comments earlier from guys like wolfs and lionbear about the merit of Rosberg's title win, and title winners generally. It's like every year there's someone other than the title winner who was more meritorious.

Having thought about it. I think a lot has to do with guys being very, very good cars. But they're not quite the best cars. So as far as the races go, they're really aggressive and go all out. While the guys in the best cars are just that touch conservative, because they know they're in the best cars. For instance.

Schumacher instead of Villeneuve and Hakkinen in 97 & 98.
Raikkonen instead of Alonso in 05.
Alonso instead of Vettel in 10 & 12.
Hamilton instead of Raikkonen in 07.

Then there are others where they're that bit behind, but you still think they were no1 that year in the "handicap championship".

Frentzen in 99.
Kubica in 08.
Ricciardo in 14.

There'd be heaps of other examples.

I still think Alonso.

10th in that car is an incredible feat.

Alonso is the best thinker in a race and just gets the most out of the car. Vettel is one of the best drivers to control a race in my mind (at least on the current grid). Ricciardo would be great but we haven't seen him with an amazing car like the other few have had or in a title hunt just yet. So hard to tell.

So in short Alonso.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back