Formula One - Round Ten - 2016 British Grand Prix (8th - 10th July)

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the penalty harsh - but I don't understand why the radio ban was introduced in the first place.

Surely if 7th gear is likely to lead to a loss/lock of gearbox, creating a slow/stationary car on track it is a safety issue?

I disagree with being allowed driver feedback (speeds, braking, cornering lines) but think teams should be able to radio in strategy (push now, hold back), advise of issues (tire wear, fuel consumption, body damage), etc.

Actual software management of the car I'm not so sure. What do others think? This is now an issue. Should it be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find the penalty harsh - but I don't understand why the radio ban was introduced in the first place.

Surely if 7th gear is likely to lead to a loss/lock of gearbox, creating a slow/stationary car on track it is a safety issue?

I disagree with being allowed driver feedback (speeds, braking, cornering lines) but think teams should be able to radio in strategy (push now, hold back), advise of issues (tire wear, fuel consumption, body damage), etc.

Actual software management of the car I'm not so sure. What do others think? This is now an issue. Should it be?

I completely disagree. If there's a problem with the car, the driver should have to work it out himself - coaching from the pits is banned and Rosberg was told exactly how to fix the problem (ie coached through it)

Nico Rosberg: Gearbox problem.

Tony Ross: Chassis default zero, one.

Tony Ross: Avoid seventh gear Nico.

Nico Rosberg: What does that mean? I have to shift through it.

Tony Ross: Affirm, Nico, affirm. You have to shift through it.

The radio ban is ridiculous, but since its there then the penalty had to stand.

The radio ban is ridiculous, but since its there then the penalty had to stand.
I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion but I believe Formula One isn't supposed to be a telemetry based remote control sport. If there's a problem with the car let the driver work it out or if the driver can't then bring them into the pits and work it out there.

I believe it was Spain in 1994 where Schumacher drove most of the race in 5th gear. There's no real confirmation as to whether or not Schumacher had only 5th gear available or whether or not he only had gears 1-5 (out of 6) but the fact is that he managed to work through the situation, pit twice, and still win the race.

You can call me a traditionalist but I'd rather see a situation where telemetry is only used during practice and gets put into "data gathering" mode during the race for download and review after the race. Critical information such as temperatures and fuel usage should be displayed to the driver for them to sort through during the race.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion but I believe Formula One isn't supposed to be a telemetry based remote control sport. If there's a problem with the car let the driver work it out or if the driver can't then bring them into the pits and work it out there.

I believe it was Spain in 1994 where Schumacher drove most of the race in 5th gear. There's no real confirmation as to whether or not Schumacher had only 5th gear available or whether or not he only had gears 1-5 (out of 6) but the fact is that he managed to work through the situation, pit twice, and still win the race.

You can call me a traditionalist but I'd rather see a situation where telemetry is only used during practice and gets put into "data gathering" mode during the race for download and review after the race. Critical information such as temperatures and fuel usage should be displayed to the driver for them to sort through during the race.
I see your point, but I think given the punishment for a new gearbox or mechanical failure is quite large there should be some leniency. Driving these cars has become more complicated than ever too.

I see your point, but I think given the punishment for a new gearbox or mechanical failure is quite large there should be some leniency. Driving these cars has become more complicated than ever too.
Having read quite a few different reports from Silverstone I now understand why Mercedes decided to issue the instructions to Rosberg. The decision was based entirely on maximising points. If they didn't issue him instructions the gearbox issue could have been terminal and therefore, as pointed out by ManWithNoName, they chose the risk of a penalty (and a probable 15 points for 3rd) over the probability they might not get any points if they did nothing.

BTW: Mercedes have withdrawn their appeal over the decision to penalise Rosberg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back