Freeeoo

Club Legend
May 7, 2006
SOR
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Gooners
To be fair a forward coach is entitled to think his players should be able to kick goals from 15m out, but yeah we probably need a new face in that role.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
We don't have the cattle. Delist McCarthy and Dixon and push out Hogan in one off season. Bring in a teenage rookie to replace them. And expect a functional forward line?
I know who needs the sack and it ain't Hale.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Surely Nat can have a chat with Dunstall or BT or a Warren Ralph or Simon Beasley or ANYONE for some tips on routine. It’s comical now and really rather sad. For someone who puts in so much hard on the track I’m stunned he can’t turn this around.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely Nat can have a chat with Dunstall or BT or a Warren Ralph or Simon Beasley or ANYONE for some tips on routine. It’s comical now and really rather sad. For someone who puts in so much hard on the track I’m stunned he can’t turn this around.

They would all tell him to kick a straight drop punt just like he does when field kicking.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
We don't have the cattle. Delist McCarthy and Dixon and push out Hogan in one off season. Bring in a teenage rookie to replace them. And expect a functional forward line?
I know who needs the sack and it ain't Hale.

This. Maybe not so much getting rid of Cam and Dixon but our failure over an entire decade to draft decent fwds. It's baffling.

gotterdamerung

Team Captain
May 2, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best forward coach in the world couldn't do much with the quality of this forward line.

On goal kicking, it's a mindset, not a training or coaching issue. These things tend to compound, one player misses, the next player doesn't want to miss, the player after that, the best player in the team has had the yips for weeks. Remember how Chris Mayne would slot everything and then suddenly became a nervous wreck in front of goals? These things can be difficult to fix on an individual level. Usually it fixes itself when you inject the forward line with some class, and the team starts kicking goals instead of missing, which becomes positively reinforcing.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yep, Hale told Fyfe to rush his shot and kick a screw kick. Apparently he’s telling Colyer to kick like a crab too. Lobb gets absolutely no time to practice his kicking during the week because Hale won’t let him.

fu** the intelligence levels on here. Seriously bewildering.

Your correct he’s not responsible for the actions on the field but what he is responsible for is going to bed the night before a game without a question his forwards are capable. How much sleep do you reckon he gets?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Your correct he’s not responsible for the actions on the field but what he is responsible for is going to bed the night before a game without a question his forwards are capable. How much sleep do you reckon he gets?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Haha, can you pick 6 capable forwards from our list?

The poor bugger wouldn’t get much sleep, his job security is hinging on a group of spuds kicking at goal!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Yeah I think it is a bit difficult to actually blame Hale for inaccurate kicking, but I’m also not seeing a reason to keep him. Certainly didn’t get Walters performing this season and the work of the small forwards generally has been disappointing. Not just goal kicking but pressure and tackling. He has seen improvement in Schultz, got rid of the Lobbstutter, and really should be putting some work into Fyfe’s routine.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I'm big on getting JK in when he gives it away, proven, successful and has worked with Longmuir.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
You can't directly blame the coach/es for accuracy associated with nerves / mental psychology but I think there is some onus on the forward coach for not having the players using a routine and utilizing efficient, practical methods; having these things should help the mental side - it is heavily linked with positive cognitive psychology.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Coach. I know that a proven player doesn't make a proven coach but its apples for apples.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can't directly blame the coach/es for accuracy associated with nerves / mental psychology but I think there is some onus on the forward coach for not having the players using a routine and utilizing efficient, practical methods; having these things should help the mental side - it is heavily linked with positive cognitive psychology.

If you want to support the mental side then you allow the player to use the technique he’s most comfortable with. How is forcing him to do something that he doesn’t feel comfortable with positive psychology?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Coach. I know that a proven player doesn't make a proven coach but its apples for apples.

He’s not proven as a coach in any form but you want him to take over our forwardline? C’mon.

If he’s interested in coaching, let him get some experience with us first. Maybe as a development coach. Maybe down at Peel. But taking on an assistant role would be foolish.

Back