Forward depth and FOG

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
I heard another report in the lead up to the showdown around our lack of big-bodied midfielders and it reinforced to me the fact that we have a massive big-bodied midfielder that is also our future gun forward.

How to let FOG dominate a game!

Our forward line is seriously lacking with marking forward Tex (near end), Berg (cement hands), Frampton (punchy), Davis, Crockers, Gollant and McAdam the only marking forwards. Aside from Tex and FOG none of them really can play FF or HF. It reinforces why someone like Daniher would be an ideal target. Get into his ear about how we sorted Crouch out and we can sort your body out.

Last year in the SANFL we were getting smashed and they finally released the FOG into the midfield, BANG, he immediately changed the game. It would be the ultimate play IF we had some forward to take his role

I heard another report in the lead up to the showdown around our lack of big-bodied midfielders and it reinforced to me the fact that we have a massive big-bodied midfielder that is also our future gun forward.

Our forward line is seriously lacking with marking forward Tex (near end), Berg (cement hands), Frampton (punchy), Davis, Crockers, Gollant and McAdam the only marking forwards. Aside from Tex and FOG none of them really can play FF or HF. It reinforces why someone like Daniher would be an ideal target. Get into his ear about how we sorted Crouch out and we can sort your body out.

Last year in the SANFL we were getting smashed and they finally released the FOG into the midfield, BANG, he immediately changed the game. It would be the ultimate play IF we had some forward to take his role

this might be counter productive.

this might be counter productive.
Agree if we don't have genuine forwards to take his place when he rotates through the middle, but if we recruited and traded in and allowed him to rotate he would be even more damaging.

It's the ultimate challenge with FOG, bloody good forward and best shot for goal but could be a monster in the centre.

It highlights the need for mid and tall forward recruiting and trading over the next 2 seasons.

Daniher?

Are you serious?

Even when he's fit which is rarely he gets the 'yips' in front of the goals...A big N.O. NO from me.

Sooner invest in Baldwin or Thilthorpe at the draft.

Fog has never really impressed up forward. It's always felt forced and never a good fit. He strikes me as someone who can pinch hit forward but when he played more in the middle the kid shows he can play. It would be great if over the next couple of seasons they started to push fog into the middle and built his engine.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fog has never really impressed up forward. It's always felt forced and never a good fit. He strikes me as someone who can pinch hit forward but when he played more in the middle the kid shows he can play. It would be great if over the next couple of seasons they started to push fog into the middle and built his engine.

I’m watching the wrong guy then

Disagree 100%....Fog is a forward in the same vein as Gary Ablett Senior, the similarities are obvious, whether he'll ever reach the dizzy heights of Gaz Sr is unlikely but that's where his future lays.

He doesn't have the capacity to play consistent midfield minutes as his tank still feels lacking, but I would love for him to one day be that type of player that can really bust the game open and be that beast in the middle.

Or even get to the point where he's 60/40 fwd/mid rotation like most elite players are doing these days.

Only a pipedream but the potential is there.

I'm not against adding the hail mary play of Fog as a midfielder when he's struggling. He's a beast and really, I can envision him changing a game there in a 5-minute burst just by throwing his weight and aggression around. That said, he's our CHF in any rebuild. Absolutely made for the role.

The question is who partners him? I like both Himmelberg and Framptom but the jury is out if either are able too. I would love to exhaust both options this year and if neither looks the goods, go hard for the best KPF prospect in the draft (or give Worrell the spot round 1 next year if we think he's the future, which is possible).

Small to mid forwards we're looking rather ok at the moment. Crocker and Davis competing for mid-sized forward. Murphy, McAdam, Stengle for small forwards with some young midfielders to rest up there in Jones/McHenry.

I was referring more so to the manner in which we “sorted crouch”. It was a cluster * of incompetence that almost ruined the guy physically and mentally.

I was referring more so to the manner in which we “sorted crouch”. It was a cluster fu** of incompetence that almost ruined the guy physically and mentally.
I don't disagree we didn't manage it well, but Jesus Essendon have ruined Daniher.

We need another tall next to FOG and maybe (big maybe) Frampton or Berg achieve that, but if not then we need to be identifying an alternative and quickly

I'm not against adding the hail mary play of Fog as a midfielder when he's struggling. He's a beast and really, I can envision him changing a game there in a 5-minute burst just by throwing his weight and aggression around. That said, he's our CHF in any rebuild. Absolutely made for the role.

The question is who partners him? I like both Himmelberg and Framptom but the jury is out if either are able too. I would love to exhaust both options this year and if neither looks the goods, go hard for the best KPF prospect in the draft (or give Worrell the spot round 1 next year if we think he's the future, which is possible).

Small to mid forwards we're looking rather ok at the moment. Crocker and Davis competing for mid-sized forward. Murphy, McAdam, Stengle for small forwards with some young midfielders to rest up there in Jones/McHenry.
Given The quality of options. Frampton.

Although Mcasey seemed like he knew what he was doing up forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea, except we already win the ball and hack kick it forward to outnumbered Fog.

So now we'll win the ball with outnumbered Fog and hack kick it forward.

Not really my point remains if he spent more time winning the ball than faux tough guy s**t he’d be the champ you want him to be until then ...
Whilst agree with the vibe, the fact it generally took 3 - 4 Port players to take him down I'm not convinced it's faux tough guy, I think he's just genuinely tough.

Something the AFC hasn't had for a while.

He's been groomed to take Tom lynchs role.
The sought of role they had riccitto playing in his first year. A Roving Wayne Carey.

North probably could of had 4 or more flags in careys time. Pagan didn't utilise carey enough as a part time mid or defensive winger. There some big finals that would of been changed. 94 prelim 98 gf standouts.

Norf had so Many easy wins from 93 onwards, plenty of time to develop carey in this role. We can't put all our eggs in one basket. Fogarty is a once in a generation player. His best football Is not as a key forward. I don't see us as having any other choice.

Fog is tantalising, he looks like he could be anything.

But 5 touches 1 goal? Is that a pass?

Considering he's primarily a key forward in a side that got absolutely belted (To the point we only had 30 inside 50s for the game) and with short quarters... it's a fail that's more of an indication that s**t broke elsewhere, then a Fogarty issue.

The goal does probably save him a bit in that regard.

Some weird commentary in this thread.

Anyway.

He's up to a bloody accurate 20.4 (apologies in advance for jinxing him). You have to wonder what he might do given decent supply.

The decision to give him 4 games last year was terrible, but looks even worse now. 4 games into one of our best prospects, in a side that's going to be bottom 4 this year. Gee sus.

Play milera as a fwd, played fwd as a junior takes a good mark and accurate at goal. Play hamill hbf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back