Autopsy Forward fifty defence

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
With Reid doing his hammy, Toby likely to go for a week or two and SJ slowing down, our forward structure is going to be tested a bit more. We have been critical of how easy the ball is coming out of our forward line. So, what are we going to do about it given we will be down on personnel?

The big fellas are going ok. Jezza is great, and Lobb can only do so much with his frame - he is actually pretty good considering with his mobility and tank. Patton has the tank, but not the pace to put the same defensive pressure on as Jezza.

It's the small forwards that need to lift, but will also be unbalanced by outs next week onwards. Toby is doing his bit offensively and defensively I think - just needs to adjust his attack to ball only. People claiming SJ is cooked I think is a little premature, but not far off. TBH I thought he had a reasonable battle with Easton Wood. Wood was not as damaging as others. Reid has been doing well defensively and we'll miss him if he is out with that hammy. Smith is playing up the ground a little more, but will have to player higher next week you'd think. He isn't at his defensive best and knows he needs to lift. This tweet is actually good to see the honesty...

SJ and Smith to stay high. So, who else goes forward if Toby and Reid are out? Taranto for Toby? Cogs back let's this happen. Maybe Bam Bam forward to fill Toby's role? Kenners for Reid for that highly defensive role? Kenners is proving quite versatile.

Dev's an interesting one. I thought he had a pretty solid game from where we sat last night, but similar to the tweet, he was a bit down when I complimented him today on his game last night. He's moving well and getting to the right spots, but just not quite sticking the tackles (which to be honest can be said across the ground).

Will need to see how the outs & possible ins stack up. If it's only Toby & Reid, then Davis needs to come back into defence and if Cogs is OK'd to place first grade without a NEAFL run first, then it would seem possible that Taranto & Matty K spend more time forward & get told to tackle like crazy. If no Cogs, then I can see Lloyd being an option given that he seems a pretty honest worker in NEAFL, can tackle & can kick goals. Can't replicate Toby's finishing qualities so the remainder of the forward line will need to play their part, but can realistically replicate what Reid has been doing. Great story if he were to debut!

I think MK forward makes sense if Reid is out, he worked his butt off yesterday but had a couple of shocking turnovers, Taranto feels a more reliable mid atm, assuming both stay in that's the move I'd make. Cogs has been mooted as back, so he is an easy swap for Toby, agree with everyone else that Lloyd is due a shot.

Leon's press conference after the Swans, I think, when he was talking about the three talls. He said their defensive pressure was a priority in the off season, and it seems he expects a lot of them as well.

Expressed my concerns prior to the game. It is a real issue for the Giants. Hate the thought but Steve J is a liability against rebounding teams. St Kilda are a rebounding team.

Expressed my concerns prior to the game. It is a real issue for the Giants. Hate the thought but Steve J is a liability against rebounding teams. St Kilda are a rebounding team.
He would have been fine this year if we had the sub rule still. I reckon he was ok for at least two quarters. Leon will be reticent to drop (rest) him this week if Toby is rubbed out. Without that and the injury to Reid, we'd be talking about whether SJ would be "rested" this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back