Analysis Forward Line - Long Term

Remove this Banner Ad

PaddysurDaddy

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel like we really need to figure this out soon. How are we going to set up when it's time to play finals?

The hard part about predicting our forward line is what appears to be our need for a forward ruck. Hickey, although a very good player in his own right, isn't cutting it by himself, Bruce isn't offering enough support as a ruckman, and Longer can't do it all alone either.

We do however have a very good option for a forward ruck that is putting his hand up at Sandy in Rowan Marshall. He's 5 metres tall (201 cm), weighs three tonnes (98 kg), and can pirouette on a pinhead (is meant to have very good agility for a big man).

Last saturday in the first quarter for sandy he registered 9 touches and 2 strong contested marks that he converted for 2 goals. From reports at the ground, our inside fifties dried up after that and our ball use going his way was pretty poor, so he didn't do too much more. But the signs are that he can play - and he can ruck.

The problem is, to squeeze a guy of his size into the forward line is no easy task. Especially when our number 1 pick comes into play (2014's, not hawthorn's first rounder)

If Paddy McClunkin' becomes the player we hope he will (Gilbee said his 19 touch, 9 mark, 3 goal game on the weekend was 'outstanding), we're starting to look really bloody tall.

Trying to fit them both in, we could line up something like this:

FF - Gresham | McCartin | Marshall
HF - Membrey | Bruce | Billings

(other possible smalls are; Minch, Lonie, Long, a FA, etc)

Membrey can kind of play small, but while I have faith in that forward line's ability to kick a score, overall we're probably going to struggle to put on enough forward pressure.

*This hypothetical is with both Paddy and Marshall coming on the way we'd like.

Other possibilities are,

FF - Gresham | Marshall | Long

HF - Long | Bruce | Billings

(Membrey to the wing)

Paddy, Bruce, and Marshall all appear bound to the forward line. They could play in the back line, but we already look tall enough back there.

Would we entertain a trade?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

GC Tom Lynch out of contract years end.........

I feel like we really need to figure this out soon. How are we going to set up when it's time to play finals?

The hard part about predicting our forward line is what appears to be our need for a forward ruck. Hickey, although a very good player in his own right, isn't cutting it by himself, Bruce isn't offering enough support as a ruckman, and Longer can't do it all alone either.

We do however have a very good option for a forward ruck that is putting his hand up at Sandy in Rowan Marshall. He's 5 metres tall (201 cm), weighs three tonnes (98 kg), and can pirouette on a pinhead (is meant to have very good agility for a big man).

Last saturday in the first quarter for sandy he registered 9 touches and 2 strong contested marks that he converted for 2 goals. From reports at the ground, our inside fifties dried up after that and our ball use going his way was pretty poor, so he didn't do too much more. But the signs are that he can play - and he can ruck.

The problem is, to squeeze a guy of his size into the forward line is no easy task. Especially when our number 1 pick comes into play (2014's, not hawthorn's first rounder)

If Paddy McClunkin' becomes the player we hope he will (Gilbee said his 19 touch, 9 mark, 3 goal game on the weekend was 'outstanding), we're starting to look really bloody tall.

Trying to fit them both in, we could line up something like this:

(other possible smalls are; Minch, Lonie, Long, a FA, etc)

Membrey can kind of play small, but while I have faith in that forward line's ability to kick a score, overall we're probably going to struggle to put on enough forward pressure.

*This hypothetical is with both Paddy and Marshall coming on the way we'd like.

Other possibilities are,

FF - Gresham | Marshall | Long

HF - Long | Bruce | Billings

(Membrey to the wing)

Paddy, Bruce, and Marshall all appear bound to the forward line. They could play in the back line, but we already look tall enough back there.

Would we entertain a trade?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

How can you talk about forward pressure and Billings in the same paragraph?

Billings Mccartin Weller
Gresham Marshall Membrey
Bruce not up to it
Yeah I'm no longer convinced, has been fairly ordinary for a while. It's a shame because he was seriously dangerous in 2015, plays a bit like a neutered dog now.

Yeah I'm no longer convinced, has been fairly ordinary for a while. It's a shame because he was seriously dangerous in 2015, plays a bit like a neutered dog now.
at the same time he's shown more than anyone bar membrey and riewoldt. And he runs all day. Maybe we need to have a look at a line up with paddy and marshall, bruce in the twos, at some point?

I think it's a it harsh to talk about dropping Bruce. If we just leave him in the forward 50 as a traditional forward and not a forward ruck, he'll kick bags. Putting him in the ruck tires him out and means he's nkt even playing as a forward 25% of the time. It's not fair on him. Especially today with Longer tiring, Bruce had to have some big stints at stoppages which cost us a marking target.

But as you say, there's no simple solution. We can't just dump Marshall in the team because it makes us way too tall and, at the end of the day, he's a late rookie pick. How many of those actually live up to expectations? I'm not saying he won't but it's an added complexity we must consider.

Potentially, we could move Membrey to a wing and give Marshall his spot. It still makes us too tall for now but when Roo retires ( :( ) it'll actually be a very smooth transition. This way Bruce gets to play FF the whole game, Paddy plays CHF and Marshall/Hickey rotate as the the forward/ruckman. We also then have three smalls like Gresh, Minch or Billings playing with them and it's handy. Tim can push up and kick some goals too if he feels like it.

The solution probably isn't that simple but I think we don't have too many other options atm.

Bruce just needs to not be the #1 target we dump long bombs on imo. He's best when he gets to run and jump at the ball and at the moment he's getting destroyed in 1v1 wresting contests or by the 2nd defender going up while he's being held off it. Having to waste his time and energy in the fruitless and doomed endeavor of providing ruck relief is only killing his game even more.

If we were willing to play Paddy, Bruce, Membrey and Roo in the same team then I think we should bring in Marshall as the 2nd ruck.

My forward line for next week:

HF: Billings Bruce Weller
FF: Membrey Marshall Meatball

With another small forward (Gresh/Sinc) on the bench and Roo on a wing doing whatever the hell he wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between this and the autopsy thread, the Marshall hype is just getting laughable now.

The kid showed flashes for Sandy on the weekend, but he was gassed after a half playing solely as a stay at home forward.

Yes he kicked a couple on the weekend. But for some perspective, in 2016 he played 18 VFL games and kicked 8 goals. 2015, 5 VFL games for 1 goal. Spent more time back than forward!

More importantly, he is not even playing as a second ruck in the VFL. And when he did play as a ruckman he averaged 11 hitouts. But sure, let’s throw him into the AFL as a second ruck!

The bloke is a rookie for a reason. He has got some potential!

But now we are trading a proven 50+ goal AFL forward with a huge tank, because we have a slightly taller rookie forward who took a couple of contested marks in a half in the VFL.

Twilight zone

Between this and the autopsy thread, the Marshall hype is just getting laughable now.
Tbh I thought it was almost beyond laughable when it was even first suggested. I'd say 95% of people who are calling for Marshall to come in ahead of Hickey, Longer or even Holmes have never seen him play, but just listen to this ridiculous hype he gets on here from a few posters.

The kid showed flashes for Sandy on the weekend, but he was gassed after a half playing solely as a stay at home forward.

Yes he kicked a couple on the weekend. But for some perspective, in 2016 he played 18 VFL games and kicked 8 goals. 2015, 5 VFL games for 1 goal. Spent more time back than forward!

More importantly, he is not even playing as a second ruck in the VFL. And when he did play as a ruckman he averaged 11 hitouts. But sure, let’s throw him into the AFL as a second ruck!

The bloke is a rookie for a reason. He has got some potential!

But now we are trading a proven 50+ goal AFL forward with a huge tank, because we have a slightly taller rookie forward who took a couple of contested marks in a half in the VFL.

Twilight zone
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about down the line. Sorry for daydreaming and taking a moment to imagine how we can fit all our forwards in on our run for the cup.. obviously this isn't the place for that kind of thing.

That's the first I've heard of marshall being gassed. He will offer more than bruce as a relieving ruck. Rookies get promoted and played all the time. Eli Temps, Sinc, Preuss was a rookie until not too long ago. We're a team without a dominant ruck and in need of someone that can relieve. Marshall is the only real option we have, and you're calling our hypothesising 'laughable'?

good contribution.

Tbh I thought it was almost beyond laughable when it was even first suggested. I'd say 95% of people who are calling for Marshall to come in ahead of Hickey, Longer or even Holmes have never seen him play, but just listen to this ridiculous hype he gets on here from a few posters.
ahead? He's to compliment one of them, not take the mantle

Billings Mccartin Membrey
Gresham Bruce Marshall
Would this work? Remembering with Marshall as the second ruck it will be Bruce and Mccartin as the only talls for periods of the game (Membrey plays tall obviously but doesn't make us too tall). Probably only works when Paddy can play 85%+ of the game so that Marshall is able to play 60-65% and it not kill us rotations wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back