Analysis Forward Line - Long Term

Remove this Banner Ad

Not tooo concerned about the talent in the forward line, far more concerned about the game plan.

Kicking long to a contest, ok if you have pack marking forwards, it brings small roving forwards into the game, it allows us to set up behind the play and help hold the ball in the forward line.

Problems is our forwards aren't really pack marking, Paddy prefers the lead, Membrey is a good overhead mark but not so good with body contact, Bruce can pack mark but his game seems to be better when he runs, and Roo doesn't need the crashing and bashing. Of our smalls it's really only Gresh that looks comfortable roving packs, not saying the others can't do it just that for Weller, Billings, Long, Lonie, Wright and Acres it's not their main thing.

The positives of that game plan, our midfield skills are so poor that kicking long to a contest is about the only thing they can be trusted to do. Slow ball movement will mean there are very few opportunities for effective leading and our main mids (Stuv aside), aren't exactly fast across the ground and I hate to say it but the coaching of a simple kick it long plan is easier for coaches and players to communicate and implement.

To be fair if we had kicked straight in rounds 2 and 3 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's easy to criticise Bruce if you're sitting at home watching the game on TV because you can't see the immense amount of work he does off the ball. Longer was off the ground so much yesterday Bruce was gassing himself in the ruck, then when he went forward we didn't honour his leads.

I don't know if you guys are expecting him to take screamers on 3 blokes every contest or what, because that's what he has been up against all year. Needs to take his opportunities though.

I think an inescapable part of all this is the question of 2nd Ruck.

I think they need to pull the trigger on Bruce being a stand-alone forward, that is, no more rucking.

I think Bruce needs to be played to his strengths, it's been proven the last 18 months his strength is not sitting under the ball in the forward line. Nor is it rucking, double-whammy on the rucking is it's detrimental to his forward game.

Bruce needs to be the mobile forward.

Leaves the question of setup.

What do people think of:

NO1 Ruckman
Marshall (Relief Ruck and FWD)
Bruce (lead-up forward/roaming forward)
Membrey (Deep FWD)
Roo

Too tall, too slow? Marshall too much of an unknown quantity? I'd love to know what his tank is like from an ITK. Hasn't he played heaps of senior VFL footy?

Who goes out of the above setup?

One thing is for sure -- the current setup is not working.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about down the line. Sorry for daydreaming and taking a moment to imagine how we can fit all our forwards in on our run for the cup.. obviously this isn't the place for that kind of thing.

That's the first I've heard of marshall being gassed. He will offer more than bruce as a relieving ruck. Rookies get promoted and played all the time. Eli Temps, Sinc, Preuss was a rookie until not too long ago. We're a team without a dominant ruck and in need of someone that can relieve. Marshall is the only real option we have, and you're calling our hypothesising 'laughable'?

good contribution.
It's true the 0-5 north Melbourne do go for the two ruck approach and go in very tall. I'm not sure we should be modelling ourselves on them.

i would want more success than Eli and sincs if I was dropping Bruce or paddy for him as well.

Bruce in the ruck is ruining his game. I'd much rather have an extra midfielder stand in the circle and wait to receive the tap than persisting with sacrificing Bruce's game for minimal results. Of course, long term we should be looking at having the second ruck spot filled, but until then I view Bruce in the ruck as a net negative to the team.

Ideally, Marshall will be this second ruckman, but he isn't the messiah like people claim (and I hope he isn't a very naughty boy, either).
I implore people to watch the West Coast game again, and watch Membrey closely; he played Riewoldt's role, and did it very well. I remember that we were keen on him in his draft year and viewed him as a midfield prospect long term, and this was reiterated to me at the time of his acquisition from Sydney.

My ideal forward line would be along the lines of:

HF: Billings /// Bruce /// Resting Midfielder

FF: Small Forward (Minchington??) /// McCartin /// 2nd Ruck (Marshall??)

Membrey would be playing on the wing like Riewoldt is now. As for Gresham, I prefer him on ball based on what I've seen of him. I feel like throwing him in the forward pocket may be a waste of his talent, provided he continues to improve.

As for Gresham, I prefer him on ball based on what I've seen of him. I feel like throwing him in the forward pocket may be a waste of his talent, provided he continues to improve.
Truer words were never spoken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back