Analysis Forward Line Staff

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Most obvious thing to me is everybody knows where the balls going (Top of goal-square). We don't normally get outmarked which is good but really seem to struggle to kick goals from the ground balls that happen (bit too slow?). Matera's the only real forward who loves this so sending Walters back forward would be handy, but they're still both quiet slow meaning they can't cover all the ground. Switowski's growth in this area is one of the most important individual areas of improvement for our team imo.

Hogan recognises this and tries to get seperation/1 on 1's by heading off to the side of the pack, Lobb on the weekend looked to drop short and Tabs really forms the pack (which is great because its his pure strength). Problem is they're still all pretty close together and only really the likes of Mundy/Fyfe (he's great at this just sometimes skills let him down) recognise the positioning of the forwards. What we lack is the surprise element of Tabs/Hogan bustling through the pack on a big powerful lead towards the ball/space that causes havoc for the defense and creates an oppurtunity for others to get free. The unselfish 'dummy' leads seem non-existent as everyone wants to just stand in the area suited best for them.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Always remember going to a home game against the Hawks a couple years back and their forward fifty entries were so fricken clean we were like witches hats. They just put it into space and had faith that their forwards would get there and complete the deal - which they invariably did. Hawks tore us apart.

I’m no expert but I reckon it’s 50% forwards understanding / getting separation, 50% having mids with enough skill / space to deliver. We don’t really have much of either currently.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always remember going to a home game against the Hawks a couple years back and their forward fifty entries were so fricken clean we were like witches hats. They just put it into space and had faith that their forwards would get there and complete the deal - which they invariably did. Hawks tore us apart.

I’m no expert but I reckon it’s 50% forwards understanding / getting separation, 50% having mids with enough skill / space to deliver. We don’t really have much of either currently.

Yes and similar to what Brisbane did to us last year, their forward entries compared to ours that game reminded me so much of the Hawks game you're talking about.
Forget Essendon this week. Next week is the real litmus test of how far we've progressed this year.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes and similar to what Brisbane did to us last year, their forward entries compared to ours that game reminded me so much of the Hawks game you're talking about.
Forget Essendon this week. Next week is the real litmus test of how far we've progressed this year.
That Brisbane game last year really derailed our season. It was horrific, and we need to square up for that.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
This topic is a continuous issue with me......I don't believe any of our assistant coaches would get a gig in any other team. If we keep Ross, we must invest in new senior assistants and empower them to challenge both Ross and the playing group.
Feel that way too. Feel like Ross is at the end of the line. But a caretaker coach from our assistants? Can’t see it. Not enough quality for me

benfica

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2011
woodgreen
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
tottenham
and i quote ......Lyon: The forward line chemistry will take a while but we’re happy where it is at
HAHAHA scores of 17.18 over our last 2 games who else is happy with that

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brad Hardie just now on 6pr

Freo coaching panel member to recruiters
“Any danger of recruiting some players that can kick straight”

Recruiter
“Any chance you can develop some players rather than relying on us bringing in mature age recruits”

Hardie then said unless you have a water tight contract watch out particular considering bell over sees recruitment.

Sounds like David Hale has barked up the wrong tree 😂😂😂

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
and i quote ......Lyon: The forward line chemistry will take a while but we’re happy where it is at
HAHAHA scores of 17.18 over our last 2 games who else is happy with that

Yeah - but you take the last two games, and one of which was considered a finals battle and almost the match of the round with unbelievable low scoring - Adelaide are a team favoured to win the flag by many. So...this "last 2 games" well it does not add up. Richmond are no easy beats, even with the "injuries".

Have a look at the scores through the rounds this year - it seems 80 is a good total. I think for the year, we are looking decent, and should be on the improve. Last year I did not get that vibe.

Just for a reversal benfica - tell us the best 4 teams in the competition for forward lines, and leave Geelong out. We are 5th for percentage so I assume this will be difficult to prove. I understand I am having a go, but sometimes creating a stat for the sake of a point is...pointless. So using 2 games does not work - use the season and take out the outliers. Do that for every team and you will have a better stat.

The amount of times this season I have seen players open and mids choosing terrible options is crazy. We just have too many turnovers and poor kicks from the midfield. That makes the forwards look silly. Imagine a team like Geelong with our forwards - that would be scary!

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Yeah - but you take the last two games, and one of which was considered a finals battle and almost the match of the round with unbelievable low scoring - Adelaide are a team favoured to win the flag by many. So...this "last 2 games" well it does not add up. Richmond are no easy beats, even with the "injuries".

Have a look at the scores through the rounds this year - it seems 80 is a good total. I think for the year, we are looking decent, and should be on the improve. Last year I did not get that vibe.

Just for a reversal benfica - tell us the best 4 teams in the competition for forward lines, and leave Geelong out. We are 5th for percentage so I assume this will be difficult to prove. I understand I am having a go, but sometimes creating a stat for the sake of a point is...pointless. So using 2 games does not work - use the season and take out the outliers. Do that for every team and you will have a better stat.

The amount of times this season I have seen players open and mids choosing terrible options is crazy. We just have too many turnovers and poor kicks from the midfield. That makes the forwards look silly. Imagine a team like Geelong with our forwards - that would be scary!
That’s the point. Geelong have Hawkins as their key forward and Gary Rohan(!) as second. It’s Ridiculous. Pre season we looked like we wanted to go long at all cost. It’s ugly and ineffective over the whole game.

As a forward line, it can be a lot better. Jeremy Cameron is playing Pagan’s paddock style. He’s often around goal. So Is Kennedy. The smart elite forwards do that. Need to structure our forwards like that. Rather we’re playing too many up the ground, and limited options 60m from goal. Tabs would benefit best by hanging around at times, same as Hogan. There’s no dummy leads happening.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It's not a rule or anything, but I sometimes think the better coaches/assistants are actually from the less skilled players who had to earn their selection through their discipline and footballing knowledge than based on skills and instincts. I had thought Crowley may make a good coach. Obviously smart, but his career didn't come easily. Whereas the superstar players turned coaches have often been disappointing, especially in the more recent times (Blight and Mathews obviously greats as players and coaches).

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you could count on one hand the people that think the Crows will win this years flag and they all live in Adelaide. Having said that, the effort against them was great (by most) but we were clearly trying our utmost to dry up scoring to avoid a haemorrhage. Some of the efforts by our forwards in that game were dreadful. They gave up on the contest way too early in most occasions. Switta was barely seen and ****ed up when we did see him. Tabs just gave up when the ball hit the ground or possession was taken by a Crow. So too Hogan.

Against the Tigers it was slightly better but not much. Again I think the overall plan was to avoid a flogging rather than try and attack which doesn’t help the forwards but the Tigers were terribly depleted in defence and going in to the game many were predicting a big day out by one of our tall forwards, and so they should’ve been against the Tigers defenders. But again, we under performed. Mostly due to the overall gameplan.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Bringing in Blakely should allows Walters into the forward line and we can run up top with our best possible unit.

HF: Walters, Taberner, Matera
FF: Switkowski, Hogan, Lobb

Hogan needs to be put in the goal square and stay there, he's our full forward for a reason. The team needs to focus on actually keeping 2 or 3 players in the 50 at ALL times instead of sending them up the ground.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan needs to be put in the goal square and stay there, he's our full forward for a reason. The team needs to focus on actually keeping 2 or 3 players in the 50 at ALL times instead of sending them up the ground.

Nah, Hogan is a mobile forward. Lobb on the other hand... But Lobb doing FF works relies on someone else doing the main ruck duties.

Back