Forward line the best role for Folau and for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After watching highlights from Folau yesterday and hearing interviews afterwards I think it is pretty obvious that with time in the forward line Izzy could quite easily become a key position player ie. a Jonathan Brown type CHF. Izzy is 6'4 and his vertical leap is quite impressive, also he is relatively quick so I feel the position would suit him well. He already has a developed body and with more practice in the position and changing of his marking style he could become one of the best in the league.

He also showed he can slot them from 40 out as well as being accurate with the kick (4 goals 1 behind). With time he will be able to slot them from 50/60 and would become a serious threat for defenses, the only thing he will probably have to work on his kicking from angles. With GWS reported to be struggling to attract big names to sign for the club regardless of money being offered I'd say it is a fairly safe bet they won't get a big forward for the 2012 season.

With Izzy contracted to GWS until the end of the 2014 season he is certainly a part of the long term plans and for a man who is only 22 years old the potential for him is massive. My point is I feel that Izzy is best suited to playing in the forward line and I feel GWS is best suited to keep him there for the time being.

Totally agree. The change in him when he was swung forward v Lions in second half was transformational. He was smiling after the game cos he knew he'd found his slot on the field and in the team.
Apparently, none other than Demetriou rang him to congratulate him on his forward prescence. And then he wiped his sweaty brow. :D

It was an impressive display and its good to see if improving so quickly. I'm sure a lot of people on here will be interested to see how he backs up next week.

pretty sure WS should go after..

vince, stanton, priddis, m.johnson, taylor, gilbert etc..

all out of contract, plenty of money to be spent !

Folau boots another three today, I hope Sheedy keeps Folau in the forward line because he is obviously shining. I saw his last goal was from 40 out again so he can get the distance which is nice. 7 goals in two weeks in a relatively strong league like the NEAFL is huge for someone like Folau and I can only see him getting better and better with each game he plays.

KEEP FOLAU IN THE FORWARD LINE!

Having Folau as a forward may work well against NEAFL teams, but how is he going to do against elite AFL defenders??
Personally I hope he can make it - a strong-bodied, quick marking forward may well be just what the Giants need next season, though that also depends on who they have/will recruit from other clubs..

He is doing all that Sheedy can ask of him at the moment. No-one expects him to dominate in every match he plays, the progression that he is making is encouraging to say the least.

For someone that has never played the game before in his life, he is doing well.

So I heard an interesting story from Silly old Tim Gossage this morning on the radio re: Izzy Folau, apparently a couple of weeks ago he picked up a copy of AFL Live on Playstation 3 and has been madly playing it which is paying dividends in his ability to read the play and better understand the intricacies of the game.

A quick google search picked up a confirmation of this from the GWS coaching staff.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ion-to-learn-afl/story-e6frf3e3-1226067017977

Dunno how AFL live could help with the intricacies of the game since AFL live doesn't understand the intricacies itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back