Forward line.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's piss of Tabs and Lobb (well, keep Tabs but as depth) and go all out for Georgiadies.
Out future key forwards for the next 10 years will be Amiss, Treacy and Georgiadies. I'm sick of these guys that are always injured (Tabs) or just not committed (Lobb). It's chips into the table time.

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love a man that brings some insightful, intelligent and articulate thoughts to the debate.
Each to their own. I thought it was more intelligent than the post preceding it. Tabs will be excellent in 2023. Very talented player. Treacy, we don't even know if he'll make it yet at senior level and Georgiadis is only a wish.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Go all out? With what? Norf's future 2nd?
My main point is to trade Lobb (which the Dockers head haunchos have stated they are not going to do), forget Tabs (He's a pretty good player but just not seeing him as a future premiership player), get a young gun (Georgiadies who is unproven but worth a punt) and select Treacy, Amiss and that young gun (hopefully Georgiadies) from here on.
We've backed in the youth for all other parts of the ground and it's worked will, so now lets do it with the forward line.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Insightful, intelligent and articulate totally describes "Piss Tabs off and go all out for Georgiadies"
Well, the "piss off" part was not directed only at Tabs and is a fairly well-known Australian colloquialism. You've really got some thick skin there buddy.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Each to their own. I thought it was more intelligent than the post preceding it. Tabs will be excellent in 2023. Very talented player. Treacy, we don't even know if he'll make it yet at senior level and Georgiadis is only a wish.

Tabs will be 30 next year. Over a 10 year career he has averaged 12 games a year and 1.4 goals a game. Yes, he's a good AFL player, but he's not consistent enough (in fitness or form) to warrant stopping the progress of a hungry 20-23 year old forward. (that's my point).

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well, the "piss off" part was not directed only at Tabs and is a fairly well-known Australian colloquialism. You've really got some thick skin there buddy.
Yeah, that was the part I laughed at.....

Definitely not the moronic call to trade Tabs and bring in an overrated forward, so we could have 3 talls with less than 60 games leading our forward line.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, that was the part I laughed at.....

Definitely not the moronic call to trade Tabs and bring in an overrated forward, so we could have 3 talls with less than 60 games leading our forward line.
You obviously didn’t closely read my post. I didn’t say trade Tabs (not sure you’d get anything for him anyway) just saying we don’t prioritise experience over youth, when the experienced players are not that good. (Similar to walker over wilson, o Driscoll over collier, cox over hamling ect)

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's piss of Tabs and Lobb (well, keep Tabs but as depth) and go all out for Georgiadies.
Out future key forwards for the next 10 years will be Amiss, Treacy and Georgiadies. I'm sick of these guys that are always injured (Tabs) or just not committed (Lobb). It's chips into the table time.
i'll let the folks over at Freo know your ideas and hopefully they can get back to us soon.

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs will be 30 next year. Over a 10 year career he has averaged 12 games a year and 1.4 goals a game. Yes, he's a good AFL player, but he's not consistent enough (in fitness or form) to warrant stopping the progress of a hungry 20-23 year old forward. (that's my point).
In 2018 & 19 they were fractures rather than soft tissue injuries though. What's Alex Pearce played? About 80 games over about 8 seasons. It's a big if, I know, but if Tabs is fit and firing, he'll play. Plenty of 30+ aged forwards going around. If he's definitely cooked, sure... but I'm not convinced he is yet, so too soon to put him on the scrapheap. In any case, Treacy and Amiss need development and aren't nearly ready to play as a No 1 forward. I'd have them learning their craft while Tabs or Lobb are taking the best opposition defender.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
In 2018 & 19 they were fractures rather than soft tissue injuries though. What's Alex Pearce played? About 80 games over about 8 seasons. It's a big if, I know, but if Tabs is fit and firing, he'll play. Plenty of 30+ aged forwards going around. If he's definitely cooked, sure... but I'm not convinced he is yet, so too soon to put him on the scrapheap. In any case, Treacy and Amiss need development and aren't nearly ready to play as a No 1 forward. I'd have them learning their craft while Tabs or Lobb are taking the best opposition defender.

Pearce is 2 years younger, has had more consistent form (when playing) and has been a captain - all factors you have to weigh up. Treacy and Amiss were the only 2 key forwards against North last year and we did allright. I'd back them in (with the proviso that we get 1 more really good talent in the 22 - 25 year old range to back them up)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
My main point is to trade Lobb (which the Dockers head haunchos have stated they are not going to do), forget Tabs (He's a pretty good player but just not seeing him as a future premiership player), get a young gun (Georgiadies who is unproven but worth a punt) and select Treacy, Amiss and that young gun (hopefully Georgiadies) from here on.
We've backed in the youth for all other parts of the ground and it's worked will, so now lets do it with the forward line.
Or, and hear me out here, we maybe not trade the farm for a guy that will probably be a B grader?
Amiss and Treacy are clearly our best young key forwards, and keeping Lobb gives those 2 another year to earn AFL games. We shouldn't be gifting anyone games.

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pearce is 2 years younger, has had more consistent form (when playing) and has been a captain - all factors you have to weigh up. Treacy and Amiss were the only 2 key forwards against North last year and we did allright. I'd back them in (with the proviso that we get 1 more really good talent in the 22 - 25 year old range to back them up)

You seriously using one solo game against North, who finished last on the ladder, in a game where we won by 90+ as an example that Amiss and Treacy are ready to spearhead our forward line from Round One onwards?

Where are we getting this young gun forward with our lack of draft picks from though? Georgiadies, the guy who isn't even best 22 at Port despite them being desperate for another forward all season?

Ps - Treacy was good in the first quarter and useless in the next 3 quarters, so not really a great example.

If Lobb goes, Tabs is easily our best forward next year and Amiss's development will benefit enormously from Tabs taking the best defender

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
A bit to gung-ho for my liking gungho .

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
A fully fit Taberner and Lobb would of been great for Freo. It's a pity both are 30 years old.

If both were 24-26 years old, I would of been confident for the next 5 years.

Losing Lobb will suck.

I think a 30-35 goal a season tall forward/ ruck is more of a priority than getting another 30-40 goal a season Taberner type.

I think and I am confident that either Traecy or Amiss can be that next Taberner type than can handle a heavy tag up forward and still kick 30-40 goals a season.

Walters is 32 years old next season. Very likely that 2023 will be his final season. But we got other small forwards that can kick goals in Frederick, Schulz and Switkowski.

And you got other outside mids like Clark, Coyler and Henry that kicks the occasional goal

oooooiiiiii

I know we're all friends here...........but let's keep it that way!

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Shannon Neale and JVR for their age are doing well. Around 30 goals in the
VFL.
JVR could also play down back.
Neale is that forward/ruck.
We could do worse. Logan will take over from Buddy.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
You seriously using one solo game against North, who finished last on the ladder, in a game where we won by 90+ as an example that Amiss and Treacy are ready to spearhead our forward line from Round One onwards?

Where are we getting this young gun forward with our lack of draft picks from though? Georgiadies, the guy who isn't even best 22 at Port despite them being desperate for another forward all season?

Ps - Treacy was good in the first quarter and useless in the next 3 quarters, so not really a great example.

If Lobb goes, Tabs is easily our best forward next year and Amiss's development will benefit enormously from Tabs taking the best defender
You could make the same argument at the end of 2021 that it would be ludicrous to drop Wilson for Walker. It's good to be ahead of the curve in the AFL - otherwise development in stifled. Georgiadies finished the season well last year, and kicked 32 goals in his second year in the AFL - not bad at all for a young forward. If he was at the Dockers he'd definitely be best 22 for 2023.

Back