List Mgmt. Forwardline woes

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone has hit the nail on the head.

The only thing I'd add is that I feel that we rely on our defenders to do everything. Our mids lose clearances most weeks (which should never happen with our personnel). I feel like there is an underlying passivity in our midfield group knowing that the defenders will most likely save them. I think the mids need to do a better job of winning clearance. That's the easiest way of getting the ball inside 50 with less congestion.

In terms of the forward structure. I think it's a combination of game strategy and personnel. Fritsch has been amazing though. I like our small forwards in Spargo, ANB and Pickett. But our bigs in Gawn/Jackson/Brown aren't being aerial threats or groundball threats or defensive pressure.

His crumbing is very good, he just needs to be better and front and centre stoppage work in the F50. Garlett was a master of that when he was with us. His biggest strength.
Yeah this is what I meant really. If he’s near the footy he crumbs well but he doesn’t usually position himself to his advantage.

There is a saying in poker: scared money dont make money...I think this a great way to desribe our game style in 2022.

So concerned about keeping the opposition scores down that we cant kick one ourselves. Playing safe only gets you so far, sure, it might get you to the finals (you make the cash and a bit of profit in a poker tournament) but if youre too scared to take risks with the footy (bluff or call down an opponent light) youre never winning the grand final (shipping the entire tournament and a heap of cash)
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The positive I can find from it, however, is that the 3rd quarter of the GF showed us that when we take the game on, nobody can come with us.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The positive I can find from it, however, is that the 3rd quarter of the GF showed us that when we take the game on, nobody can come with us.

Us starting well in first quarters like we have this year has been a curse, we try and shut down the game far too early after that and forget what got us the lead in the first place....wed honestly be better off being 4 goals behind at quarter time

Us starting well in first quarters like we have this year has been a curse, we try and shut down the game far too early after that and forget what got us the lead in the first place....wed honestly be better off being 4 goals behind at quarter time
We started well in the prelim and GF last year and then slowed down in the second quarter before exploding in the second half. Similar in the 2021 QF except for the Cameron goals on Joel.

Thought we might be going down that route again on Friday after the Sparrow goal. Conceding six goals in the quarter and only kicking one more after kicking the first three was a disgrace. Not sure what the * happened but we neither locked things down nor did we continue to attack. Swans did well to block us from coming out the front of stoppages but I don’t understand how we got scored against so heavily

Last edited:
Said it a few days ago but we just don’t have enough polish on the outside. Swans and Pies have a ton of quality ball users, we’ve got Hunt who can’t execute a basic pass, Salem who refuses to take any difficult kicks, ANB who is extremely hot and cold and then our main mids who all don’t kick well.

Said it all year as well but it is pointless playing Sparrow up forward, I’d legitimately rather Bedford or Chandler.

Off-season needs to have us target Wingard types and I’d also love us to look at Connor McKenna.

No it doesn't. It shows the dogs can't go with us and they suck. We flogged an average team in the GF. Sydney and Collingwood of this year both flog last year's dogs.

No it doesn't. It shows the dogs can't go with us and they suck. We flogged an average team in the GF. Sydney and Collingwood of this year both flog last year's dogs.

Have to agree, other than against Brisbane and the Dogs we have shown no ability to kick a decent score and play attacking football this year. The Dogs giving up a 7 goal lead to Fremantle of all teams says it all really.

It will be great, this week we probably kick another 15 goals vs Brisbane... we will firmly believe we've sorted out our forward issues only to run into the same problems we had vs Sydney against Geelong a week later.

Cant wait.

That's the whole thing isn't. 4 other teams have seen the level we were at and worked to be better than it.

We seem to have made a deliberate decision to try and stay the same.

That's the whole thing isn't. 4 other teams have seen the level we were at and worked to be better than it.

We seem to have made a deliberate decision to try and stay the same.
Yup seems like our flag might be the last won by a side playing defence first trying to dominate from the back half in this era. Now it's all about ball movement and we are a year behind all the other good sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take your point - don't believe we can currently do to Geelong or Sydney what we did to The Western in the 3rd quarter - but I still reckon we can do it against Collingwood, Freo and Brisbane. Will it be enough to win the flag? Arguably not, as we'll need to beat at least one of Geelong or Sydney to get there, and at the moment I don't think we can beat either.

Yup seems like our flag might be the last won by a side playing defence first trying to dominate from the back half in this era. Now it's all about ball movement and we are a year behind all the other good sides.
It's sort of weird that we won the flag so emphatically last year and every other side was like, Let's do the opposite of that, and it worked. Not the kind of thing you usually see.

It's sort of weird that we won the flag so emphatically last year and every other side was like, Let's do the opposite of that, and it worked. Not the kind of thing you usually see.
I think the stand rule made a huge difference, and even though I hate rule changes and I hate us losing the upper hand it's been ******* great for footy minus the bullshit 50s

Last year we were getting away with a lot of overlap running down the wing or winning a contest on the wing then having runners out the back. That's the aspect we've really been worked out on, good sides just don't let us kick into an open forward 50.

Sydney, Collingwood and Geelong have learned from our interception game and added fast, precise ball movement to it.

Need the forwardline to embody more of the Demon Spririt as a starting point
I confused Demon Spirit for the Demons Spirits and ended up black out drunk on the floor.
Hopefully we play with some more dare and take more chances in the next few weeks, if we make it that far.
We will lose if we continue to bomb it long into the pocket against the top quality sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back