Universal Love Found - Long lost 1997 Crows club song

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone has managed to take most of the commentary out of the 1997 grand final audio, highlighting the 1997 version of the club song:

Not perfect, but that seems to be the closest we've gotten.

What do you mean "closest we've got"?
You say that like you have doubt it was Mighty Adelaide Crows.
I can guarantee it 100% that that was what it used to be.

What do you mean "closest we've got"?
You say that like you have doubt it was Mighty Adelaide Crows.
I can guarantee it 100% that that was what it used to be.
What I mean is closest we have to a clear recording (without all the broadcast/crowd sound) of the 'mighty' version of the song used at that time. I agree, you can clearly hear 'mighty' in that recording. I just wish we had a good copy that isn't taken from a broadcast. Props to that person for cleaning up the audio though.

This is the original Pride of South Australia by The Fable Singers.

Pretty sure the original original was done by the SA Police Band. Bill Sanders was talking about its creation on the Hall of Fame podcast. They played a snippet of it, we were definitely Mighty but Camry as well. "We're the Pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Camry Crows."

The fact they had that to play on the podcast leads me to believe that surely they have the other ones laying around somewhere.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the original original was done by the SA Police Band. Bill Sanders was talking about its creation on the Hall of Fame podcast. They played a snippet of it, we were definitely Mighty but Camry as well. "We're the Pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Camry Crows."

The fact they had that to play on the podcast leads me to believe that surely they have the other ones laying around somewhere.
If true, why they're keeping the grand final version under lock and key is beyond me.

Here’s that 1994 SA Police Band demo version that featured on the Bill Sanders podcast
View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

The original intro music piece on that ‘94 version & the run out on to the ground Grand Final version was an absolute banger, no idea why it was removed/changed. The post game ‘97 Grand Final is a different recorded version that contains the 1994 lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” in the first verse not “Mighty Adelaide Crows”, that opening verse seems to have a bit of Mandela effect about it, it got changed to “Known as the Adelaide Crows” from the original lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” on The Fable Singers version when the AFL updated some teams songs & put them under their own copyright around 1998/99, there does not seem to actually be an official recorded version that had “We’re the Mighty Adelaide Crows” as the first verse used at Crows games.

You can even hear the confusion here in the 1997 Pre-Grand Final entertainment when they sing the Crows song at the 13:00 minute mark, they play the awesome original intro music but half of the choir seem to have had “Mighty Camry Crows” on the lyrics sheet while the other had “Mighty Adelaide Crows”

Last edited:
Here’s that 1994 SA Police Band demo version that featured on the Bill Sanders podcast
View attachment 1240728

The original intro music piece on that ‘94 version & the run out on to the ground Grand Final version was an absolute banger, no idea why it was removed/changed. The post game ‘97 Grand Final is a different recorded version that contains the 1994 lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” in the first verse not “Mighty Adelaide Crows”, that opening verse seems to have a bit of Mandela effect about it, it got changed to “Known as the Adelaide Crows” from the original lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” on The Fable Singers version when the AFL updated some teams songs & put them under their own copyright around 1998/99, there does not seem to actually be an official recorded version that had “We’re the Mighty Adelaide Crows” as the first verse used at Crows games.

You can even hear the confusion here in the 1997 Pre-Grand Final entertainment when they sing the Crows song at the 13:00 minute mark, they play the awesome original intro music but half of the choir seem to have had “Mighty Camry Crows” on the lyrics sheet while the other had “Mighty Adelaide Crows”

I wonder how much Toyota paid to have us include Camry in the club song

That person who cleaned up the audio was me. I did it by overlaying various broadcast recordings to enhance the different parts of the music and make the transitions between recordings less audible. The main audio clip is taken from the 5AA radio broadcast of the 1997 GF and has had various sections of audio from the TV broadcast layed overtop. I have a higher quality but incomplete recording taken from the TV broadcast of a Crows v Hawks game at VFL Park. I'm thinking of buying a CD or cassette of the 97 and 98 GF Radio broadcasts to see if I can find a higher quality recording. My audio editing software is currently out of action and I am trying to fix the issue so I can continue restoring old club songs. Will try my best to keep you updated with my progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like the club enticed the Vengaboys out of retirement to knock that one up

Honestly who in the club comes up with this crap?

This came out in 1999 (peak Vengaboys haha). Prior to the April Fools joke in 2019, I thought this had been buried in 2000!

A couple of clubs had remixed songs around this time too. Geelong actually used their remixed version for their matches for a couple of years, and I believe there's a remixed Essendon song out there somewhere.

Now, if the club had this lying around, surely they'd have the version used in 1997 (and even the OG version done by the SA Police band).

This came out in 1999 (peak Vengaboys haha). Prior to the April Fools joke in 2019, I thought this had been buried in 2000!

A couple of clubs had remixed songs around this time too. Geelong actually used their remixed version for their matches for a couple of years, and I believe there's a remixed Essendon song out there somewhere.

Now, if the club had this lying around, surely they'd have the version used in 1997 (and even the OG version done by the SA Police band).

We Like To Party Kiss GIF by Vengaboys

That person who cleaned up the audio was me. I did it by overlaying various broadcast recordings to enhance the different parts of the music and make the transitions between recordings less audible. The main audio clip is taken from the 5AA radio broadcast of the 1997 GF and has had various sections of audio from the TV broadcast layed overtop. I have a higher quality but incomplete recording taken from the TV broadcast of a Crows v Hawks game at VFL Park. I'm thinking of buying a CD or cassette of the 97 and 98 GF Radio broadcasts to see if I can find a higher quality recording. My audio editing software is currently out of action and I am trying to fix the issue so I can continue restoring old club songs. Will try my best to keep you updated with my progress.

Great work mate, thanks for the effort!

Nice work!

Not sure if you found this or not but there's a Triple M call of the 98 Grand Final that has a pretty clear recording of the first verse of the song right at the end here -

Yes I know about that video. I've been having issues with my audio editor but it's now working again. I'll get a copy of that video and see what I can do with it.

Why did they change "we're the Mighty Adelaide Crows" to "and we're known as the Adelaide Crows"? Were they running out of stuff for the work experience kid to do?

Why did they change "we're the Mighty Adelaide Crows" to "and we're known as the Adelaide Crows"? Were they running out of stuff for the work experience kid to do?
I explained in a previous post in this thread that is revisionist history…

The post game ‘97 Grand Final is a different recorded version that contains the 1994 lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” in the first verse not “Mighty Adelaide Crows”, that opening verse seems to have a bit of Mandela effect about it, it got changed to “Known as the Adelaide Crows” from the original lyrics of “the Mighty Camry Crows” on The Fable Singers version when the AFL updated some teams songs & put them under their own copyright around 1998/99, there does not seem to actually be an official recorded version that had “We’re the Mighty Adelaide Crows” as the first verse used at Crows games.
Why they didn’t simply change it from “The Mighty Camry Crows” in the first verse to “The Mighty Adelaide Crows” ? is the correct way to frame the question.

Nice work!

Not sure if you found this or not but there's a Triple M call of the 98 Grand Final that has a pretty clear recording of the first verse of the song right at the end here -

Just had another listen and it's pretty good quality as the commentary box walls blocked out most of the crowd's cheering. I might go onto eBay and see if I can find some cassettes of the 97 and 98 Grand Finals so I can see if they contain more audio than what's in the YouTube videos. I would also like to try and find more broadcasts of crows games played at VFL Park as the lost 1997 song was also used there. It would also be worth checking footage of when the players run onto the field before the game as the team songs are also played during this stage. It's how I found the only known complete but extremely noisy broadcast recording of the lost Brisbane Bears Will Live Forever song used from 1994 to 1996. Very glad to have found that recording because it was on a home recorded VHS tape destined for landfill. The song is barely audible but is there. Remastering the 1997 Crows song is made easier due to it being played at 2 Grand Finals and most of the 1997 season.

View attachment 1240728

I'd love to see us bring back this version - or a redone version with 'the Mighty Adelaide Crows' as the second line.

Not worth microwaving the membership over though

View attachment 1240728

Thanks for finding that I did post that on YouTube I'm still looking for a full version

Remove this Banner Ad

Back