Found ... TV of the 1963 GF third quarter

Remove this Banner Ad

joe444

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2006
Franga
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm terribly sorry if this has already been raised and is old news, but the third quarter TV telecast of the 1963 Grand Final has been found and posted on YouTube. It's the GTV 9 telecast. Along with the final quarter, that's probably all the TV coverage that's out there, since the networks back then tended to only record and replay the second half or final quarter only.

I'm terribly sorry if this has already been raised and is old news, but the third quarter TV telecast of the 1963 Grand Final has been found and posted on YouTube. It's the GTV 9 telecast. Along with the final quarter, that's probably all the TV coverage that's out there, since the networks back then tended to only record and replay the second half or final quarter only.

catscollector

too old for you?

GO CAtters

I do have that same replay. And Rob is a brilliant video digitizer (Cineclair Productions) who follows the Cats.

Old footage such as this is always highly desired.
Bob Gartland has a few as well. I'm not sure if you ever visited his museum joe444 he collects anything and everything from that era of football.

I'd love to know more details, catscollector!

I know a few years' back there was this attempt to get HSV-7 to release their version, which survived a fire at their storage; apparently, they don't have the final quarter?

Again, sorry if this is old news.

My grandfather actually recorded the 3GL audio of some games in the late 60s, which I'd love some help with transferring from reel-to-reel, too.

Thanks for posting this joe444 ,fascinating footage, never had the pleasure of viewing it before.

I've watched the 4th quarter of the '63 GF a number of times; seeing this new (to me) footage obviously provides more context.

Hawks do well in this 3rd quarter; Peck keeping Roy West's hands full and Kevin Coverdale (had to look him up) a real livewire. Skipper Graham Arthur showing why he is regarded as a Hawthorn legend, too; not particularly athletic but played in front and didn't take a backward step. They're within 1 point of the lead with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

Great to see more of Polly Farmer in the hoops; what a quarter from him - he's solid in that last quarter of the '63 GF, but this 3rd quarter footage shows him getting half-a-dozen + touches (on top of dominated the hit outs) - his attacking handball into the corridor would be frowned upon these days, and gets picked off both times he attempts a sweeping handpass into the middle from a ruck contest by Hawthorn players; both nearly cost a goal.

But his rushed kick finds Wooller for a steadying goal, and Farmer also takes a nice relieving reflex mark half-way through the quarter to help arrest some of Hawthorn's momentum.

Nice to see more of unheralded blokes like Ian Scott, John Brown and Hugh Routley, they're busy early in this quarter.

The half-back line really stands out; Peter Walker and the two tough half-back flankers in Stewart Lord and John Devine.
I would love a John Devine on our list right now; hard as nails.

1000-goal clubber (membership: 4) Doug Wade is well beaten in this game; 1.4 and his opponent regularly gets in front and beats him early in this quarter (Wade fights back late though).

Colin Rice, basically unsighted for the duration of this 3rd quarter, bobs up with a cracker of a goal @ 27m10s from a F50 stoppage (nice hit-out to advantage from Farmer, too); highlight of that quarter for sure.

What a treasure.

This was great viewing. Not our best quarter but great to see the team in action. I think we have our new game plan to get it moving out of the backline in 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this joe444 ,fascinating footage, never had the pleasure of viewing it before.

I've watched the 4th quarter of the '63 GF a number of times; seeing this new (to me) footage obviously provides more context.

Hawks do well in this 3rd quarter; Peck keeping Roy West's hands full and Kevin Coverdale (had to look him up) a real livewire. Skipper Graham Arthur showing why he is regarded as a Hawthorn legend, too; not particularly athletic but played in front and didn't take a backward step. They're within 1 point of the lead with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.

Great to see more of Polly Farmer in the hoops; what a quarter from him - he's solid in that last quarter of the '63 GF, but this 3rd quarter footage shows him getting half-a-dozen + touches (on top of dominated the hit outs) - his attacking handball into the corridor would be frowned upon these days, and gets picked off both times he attempts a sweeping handpass into the middle from a ruck contest by Hawthorn players; both nearly cost a goal.

But his rushed kick finds Wooller for a steadying goal, and Farmer also takes a nice relieving reflex mark half-way through the quarter to help arrest some of Hawthorn's momentum.

Nice to see more of unheralded blokes like Ian Scott, John Brown and Hugh Routley, they're busy early in this quarter.

The half-back line really stands out; Peter Walker and the two tough half-back flankers in Stewart Lord and John Devine.
I would love a John Devine on our list right now; hard as nails.

1000-goal clubber (membership: 4) Doug Wade is well beaten in this game; 1.4 and his opponent regularly gets in front and beats him early in this quarter (Wade fights back late though).

Colin Rice, basically unsighted for the duration of this 3rd quarter, bobs up with a cracker of a goal @ 27m10s from a F50 stoppage (nice hit-out to advantage from Farmer, too); highlight of that quarter for sure.

What a treasure.
The one who opened my eyes was Hines, the one who got away; I'd forgotten how good he was.
It's easy to see how he came to have such an extraordinarily long stellar career in local footy.

This was great viewing. Not our best quarter but great to see the team in action. I think we have our new game plan to get it moving out of the backline in 2022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean, just get it, hoof it wildly down field, then race desperately to get back on your man before it comes flying back again? That game plan?

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

I'm only 5 mins in, but the future irony (about 26 years) in what one of the commentators said around 3:30 is not lost on me:

"Hawthorn seem to be doing much better in this quarter now they're making the ball their object and not the man."

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

I'm only 5 mins in, but the future irony (about 26 years) in what one of the commentators said around 3:30 is not lost on me:

"Hawthorn seem to be doing much better in this quarter now they're making the ball their object and not the man."
As Woofa famously said
"Geez, they were a dirty mob"

There were no game plans back then. It was just get the ball and kick it as far as you can like you said.
Hard to watch imo.
They were all part-timers with full-time jobs, drilling game plans into them would have been impossible, a few3 set plays was the most that could be trained for.
But then, as now, coaches were generally irrelevant, and games were decided by who had the most good players on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was the dodgy tripping free paid to Hawthorn when it was actually the Hawthorn player who was doing the tripping?

Was that umpire an ancestor of Matt Stevic? :p
That was about the only blemish he was an exceptional umpire Crouch,imagine the fitness and concentration required to be the only central umpire in a big GF.

Might as well watch the last quarter.

Yeah - thanks for putting up the last qtr - a very pleasurable watch on a Sunday afternoon

I didnt bother watching the 3rd qtr - just like today - i only watch when the Cats have a good qtr - why waste your time watching the opposition kick goals

I might be biased - but in that last qtr i thought Bill Goggin was Geel best player - 9 possessions i counted - and all class - set up so much play and goals

John Nichols rated Goggin the 2nd best rover behind Skilton - so that is a pretty good rap . He actually called him clever - which he was

2-3 years back i watched one of those football shows - cant remember exactly the number they listed - might have been average top possessions per game -and they put up a list of about 20 i think and Goggin was in that list they put up on the screen - and his average i think was in the high 20s - which is a very good average

Also watching that last qtr - number 22 Goodland - he played well

Looking at that number - i cant place any good players in it - hope i havent missed some all time great - hah

But who has been good in number 22 for the Cats

You're right, not many genuine champions in the #22 for Geelong; a couple of premiership players in Tom Morrow and Jack Metherall (Metherall only played 65 games for Geelong but kicked 221 goals including 4 goals in the 1937 Grand Final) ... Mitch Duncan comfortably the most games in #22 ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back