Four children die as alleged DUI driver veers onto Sydney footpath

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Wow. 4 dead, 1 critical and in a coma, 2 others injured.

The 4 dead were aged 8, 11, 12 and 13. Three siblings and their cousin.

The driver was allegedly 3 times the limit at 0.15.

The male driver, 29, was arrested on Saturday night after returning a positive result in a roadside breath test and taken for a breath analysis.

He allegedly recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.150 – three times over the limit – and has now been charged with four counts of manslaughter as well as dangerous driving occasioning death, dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm, negligent driving, drink-driving and other offences.

The group of seven children had been travelling on the footpath and were on their way to buy ice cream when police believe the four-wheel drive mounted the kerb and hit them.

Should be jailed for 25 years each count, to be served subsequently. Robbing a family of 3 children and their cousin can’t be swept under the carpet with a 5 year jail term.

always confuses me: two people jump in two separate cars both .15 or over, one gets pulled over and loses his licence for six months and a fine the other is involved in an accident and kills people and hopefully goes to jail for a long time: they both didn't intend to kill anyone and it comes down to good luck or bad luck the consequences of their stupid actions, my point is they are both drunk and if you are caught high level dui (or speeding 30kmph above speed limit) you should get the book thrown at you (jail time) because even if you didn't kill anyone it would have been likely you could have and only come down to luck.

Pretty sure it will emerge this a’hole has driving priors etc. It’s nearly always the case.

Whether it’s 7, 10 or 15 years he’ll do serious time and his life is in tatters, deservedly. Might be he has a conscience and feels as bad as he should but some just don’t get it. However long he gets, it should act as a major deterrent but these incidents just keep cropping up.

Some work seriously needs to be done to get these drongos off the road. It’s extraordinary that in this day and age anyone would consider getting behind the wheel when that drunk but here we are.

Definitely support slamming anyone over say 0.08 or 0.1. If they don’t want to jail them, then home detention with a GPS ankle bracelet. There’s no excuse and the consequences are just too dire.

I want to hear the sentence, should be life but more likely 10-15 which is a disgrace, from memory some guy killed 7? Near Mildura years ago and got a similar sentence..

Thomas Towle I think his name was. Allegedly had his toddler sitting on his lap while he was driving and once he hit the kids, he bolted and left his kid there. By the time they caught up with him, I think it was too late to breatho him.

He's out now, released either last year or the year before.

Thomas Towle I think his name was. Allegedly had his toddler sitting on his lap while he was driving and once he hit the kids, he bolted and left his kid there. By the time they caught up with him, I think it was too late to breatho him.

Unemployed father of six and manages to get locked up again on parole.

With a dad like that can’t hold to much hope for his kids.

Yep that’s the guy, do you remember his exact sentence?

Where's the justice in that. 1.4 years served for each of the 5 lives taken.

6 lives, even less per.

According to the dog, not even Michael Schumacher could have handled the car going around that corner. He was seen drinking that day and left his 3 and 10 year old behind at the scene.

CHARGE SHEET FOR SAMUEL WILLIAM DAVIDSON, 29
■ Four counts of manslaughter

■ Four counts of dangerous driving occasioning death — drive under influence

■ Four counts of dangerous driving occasioning death — drive manner dangerous

■ Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm — drive under the influence

■ Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm — drive manner dangerous

■ Two counts of cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle

■ Negligent driving (occasioning death)

■ Negligent driving (occasioning grievous bodily harm)

■ Drive with high range PCA

■ Proceed through red traffic light (not toll booth)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The driver of the ute which allegedly killed four children in Sydney’s north west has been isolated from other prisoners for his own protection.
Samuel William Davidson, 29, a builder and the son of a retired NSW policeman, has his own cell in a western Sydney processing facility and will be placed in protective custody once he is moved, sources told The Daily Telegraph.

Police allege Davidson had been drinking at home with his mates when they decided about 8pm to go and get cash from a nearby service station.

He allegedly had a blood-alcohol content of .15 — three times the limit — when he was arrested sitting shirtless in the driver's seat of the blue ute that had just hit the children.

Davidson is also alleged to have gone through a red light as he left the service station and then was seen travelling on the wrong side of the road just seconds before he allegedly killed the children.

A female driver has told police she was desperately honking her horn as she saw the vehicle heading towards the children.

She was one of the first on the scene to stop and help the victims.

Others have told police the driver and 24-year-old passenger were seen sticking their fingers out the window of the car at passing motorists and generally acting erratically.

always confuses me: two people jump in two separate cars both .15 or over, one gets pulled over and loses his licence for six months and a fine the other is involved in an accident and kills people and hopefully goes to jail for a long time: they both didn't intend to kill anyone and it comes down to good luck or bad luck the consequences of their stupid actions, my point is they are both drunk and if you are caught high level dui (or speeding 30kmph above speed limit) you should get the book thrown at you (jail time) because even if you didn't kill anyone it would have been likely you could have and only come down to luck.

worse insurance companies pay out even if you are drunk. they have to prove it was the alcohol that caused the accident.

In this case was it the speed, the alcohol, the overtaking or his bad driving skills?

Anthing above .1 should be a serious offense beyond a fine and losing one's license.

Anthing above .1 should be a serious offense beyond a fine and losing one's license.
No issue with that.

The details emerging show basically what you would expect - two drunk tools acting like f’wits and assuming there will be no consequences.

Unlikely the passenger will face charges but honestly sounds like she should. I mean if you get in a car with a bloke that wasted and goad him then you should cop it too.

As bad as it is to get behind the wheel when you are pissed, its next level when you then decide to drive like a lunatic. Those kids live if he wasn't speeding down the wrong side of the road after flying through a red light. I also think that young woman should face charges btw.

So sad for these poor kids and their families most importantly.

The alleged perpetrator must be devastated at his horrific mistake. He may have many years to think about his poor actions in a small, confined space.
His family will also be hurting.

worse insurance companies pay out even if you are drunk. they have to prove it was the alcohol that caused the accident.

In this case was it the speed, the alcohol, the overtaking or his bad driving skills?

You sure about the insurance part?
Pretty sure if your involved in an accident and found to be drunk no insurance.
Are you meaning when no police involved and no way to prove it?

Assistant commissioner Corboy added, however, that the driver refused to be interviewed by police and they were building a case against him after conversations with witnesses.

Davidson, the son of a retired NSW police detective, is facing up to 25 years in prison if he is convicted of 20 offences including four counts of manslaughter and high-range drink driving after Saturday's horrendous crash.

Hope he gets the maximum sentence + an extra five years for wasting taxpayers money by refusing to be interviewed by police.

Plus he ought to be neutered so he doesn't get the pleasure or responsibility of raising kids when he gets out.

Hope he gets the maximum sentence + an extra five years for wasting taxpayers money by refusing to be interviewed by police.

Plus he ought to be neutered so he doesn't get the pleasure or responsibility of raising kids when he gets out.
Probably a wise defence move for him. Not so much for public sympathy (but there was never going to be any).

an extra five years for wasting taxpayers money by refusing to be interviewed by police.
What he did is horrible and he will spend forever in prison but nobody is under any obligation to talk to the police.

The entire process of the interview is to document evidence to use against you in court. You should always politely decline to comment until you've spoken with your lawyer.

You sure about the insurance part?
Pretty sure if your involved in an accident and found to be drunk no insurance.
Are you meaning when no police involved and no way to prove it?

they just pay out unless they can prove the cause of the accident was being over the limit, rather than just being over the limit.

just remember the drunk driver may actually damage third party property. for this reason there is a public interest test which has helped shape this position.

He’ll plead guilty but he shouldn’t provide information to the police without legal counsel

they just pay out unless they can prove the cause of the accident was being over the limit, rather than just being over the limit.

just remember the drunk driver may actually damage third party property. for this reason there is a public interest test which has helped shape this position.
Ok i didn’t know that, But how would they determine wether being over .05 cause an accident or not?? I thought in regard to third party part, they sue the driver?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back