Society/Culture Four Corners - Online shaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Anyone else concerned about the thought policing and group bullying epidemic going on right now against supposed incorrect speech? I suppose it's just a normal though unfortunate human group behaviour that has been going on since forever to gang up on people with different ideas, but it has been enabled in a big way by social media.

The report credits 'shadenfraude' as a psychological concept where people like to project their self-criticism onto others.

All of this reminds me a bit of heresy accusations, or public stonings.

Jon Ronson, author of Men who Stare at Goats, featured in the Four Corners report.

Anyone else concerned about the thought policing and group bullying epidemic going on right now against supposed incorrect speech? I suppose it's just a normal though unfortunate human group behaviour that has been going on since forever to gang up on people with different ideas, but it has been enabled in a big way by social media.

The report credits 'shadenfraude' as a psychological concept where people like to project their self-criticism onto others.

Jon Ronson, author of Men who Stare at Goats, featured in the Four Corners report.

There needs to be some balance on who and what can moderate.

Might as well make trolls like snake and Vish mods just to ruin the joint further.

He was on ABC radio late last year. I've forgotten which program it was and he was talking about his experiences outing an individual online for lying and plagiarism, it resulted in a bit of an online lynching which he recoiled from. Once there was blood in the water all sorts of horrible people seeking self affirmation stick the boot into people they don't know.

I think he summed it up by quoting James Gilligan, "All violence is an attempt to replace shame with self-esteem". Both for those that seek to shame, and the resulting stasis and social isolation that follows.

Nothing new about this.

This crap has been going on for as long as their has been human beings.

• Banned
He was on ABC radio late last year. I've forgotten which program it was and he was talking about his experiences outing an individual online for lying and plagiarism, it resulted in a bit of an online lynching which he recoiled from. Once there was blood in the water all sorts of horrible people seeking self affirmation stick the boot into people they don't know.

This has been my experience too. Someone said something racist about my ethnicity, and there was a social media pile-on. These people think they are being moral with their actions, however it really is a very primal, bullying type behaviour.

I think the difference is people expressing an opinion on a topic, no matter how unappealing, being subjected to personal attacks, threats, doxxing, having their employer contacted, etc.

personal attacks, threats and doxxing are different degrees of speech. the OP implies it's ok to, say, denegrate broad sections of a community ("supposed incorrect speech"), but it's "bullying" if the community denegrates that individual.

personal attacks, threats and doxxing are different degrees of speech. the OP implies it's ok to, say, denegrate broad sections of a community ("supposed incorrect speech"), but it's "bullying" if the community denegrates that individual.

Doxxing, bullying and shaming goes beyond denigration.

Doxxing, bullying and shaming goes beyond denigration.

even if you could logically establish that, so what? implicit to that position is the fact that some forms of speech are "incorrect" or "going beyond"; ie your entire OP is a contradictory mess.

though, apologies for my spelling of denigrate. it's been a long day.

even if you could logically establish that, so what? implicit to that position is the fact that some forms of speech are "incorrect" or "going beyond"; ie your entire OP is a contradictory mess.

So it goes beyond genuine comment into behaviour designed to intimidate or humiliate others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back