Four Field Umpires To Be Trialled During Bye Rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/ff9aac6809bb9a1e6d3d0c999ff0bf68

The AFL will use the bye rounds to trial using an extra umpire during matches, allowing the whistle-blowers to rotate on and off the ground.

Four field umpires will be rostered onto each game between Round 12 to 14, with three to be on the field at any one time as per usual.

The hope is that reducing the in-game workload of umpires may lead them to make better decisions, as they would not be as exhausted.

Now I've read it all.

It's not fatigue that causes poor decisions. It's the constant mucking around with the rules making the game almost impossible to adjudicate.

I can guarantee what will happen - the average free kick count in 4 umpire games will be slightly higher than average and everyone will be complaining just the same.

Well i have to categorically say based on sitting at the MCG today (actually technically yesterday, look at the time!) that this was a resounding success for the AFL, four times the amount of contentious decisions, more opportunities for them to come out on Tuesday with press statements saying the decisions and rules were correct, and more social media mentions and airtime to fill in the entire week even though only half the games were played. Genius Harold Mitchell-esque stuff going on at HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back