Four field umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

**** me

The evidence has never been clearer this year, the more free kicks the worse the game. I don't care about the stats but the early games seemed like one free kick after another and they were horrible. Since a few weeks ago it seems far fewer free kicks and the games have been awesome

Now add another umpire who needs to find a minimum of 10 frees a game to justify his position we will be back to averging 60 + frees

This makes me so mad. The game is better for 20 borderline free kicks to go unpaid than 1 non existent free to be paid, especially in front of goal

the number of field umpires will rise from three to four next season, with the league having a long-term view of having five to six field umpires per game.

Who the feck is making these stupid decisions ??

Is it the other Scott brother trying to justify his existence ??

More umpires should lead to specific roles. One watching for leading and marking in the forward fifty, illegal blocks etc. Currently the umpires can get caught watching the ball come in and miss things.

It would change the game though, we don't want every single piece of play to end with a whistle.

But the umpires barely needing to run will mean the same group can do almost all the games

**** me

The evidence has never been clearer this year, the more free kicks the worse the game. I don't care about the stats but the early games seemed like one free kick after another and they were horrible. Since a few weeks ago it seems far fewer free kicks and the games have been awesome

Now add another umpire who needs to find a minimum of 10 frees a game to justify his position we will be back to averging 60 + frees

This makes me so mad. The game is better for 20 borderline free kicks to go unpaid than 1 non existent free to be paid, especially in front of goal
but apparently 80s football was amazing
and in the 80s, there were alot of frees?

Caro seemed to indicate the main reason is to reduce the fitness required to hopefully get more female umpires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro seemed to indicate the main reason is to reduce the fitness required to hopefully get more female umpires.
Or more fat people / people who don't need to be able to run 5 times a week to be even considered for a game - if you've got someone who can just lightly jog and therefore call a free kick perfectly the game will be better for it.

Sounds like I’m on my own, but I thought it sounded like a great idea, the game is so fast and decisions do get missed, I also think it works the other way too, some bad calls that should be play on will hopefully be called play on as the umpire should have more energy and have a clearer thought process to the decision that needs to be made.

Lol
Lower levels of football wont have the numbers to implement the change (lower levels are at straining level atm, as there's not enough people taking up umpiring, while the womens game is growing exponentially leading to umpire shortages)
So lower levels will still have the same fitness requirements in place now.

So no aspiring umpire will even be at the level below the AFL without the current fitness base.

Ross Lyon made a good point that if there's more umpires to call free kicks deep inside fifty or even the very early holds way off the ball - it's going to increase scoring / players won't engage in average tactics to get seperation (a.k.a Tom Lynch).

Don't think people understand how the current 3 umpire system works, if the ball is in constant motion and players have to move it on after 6 seconds - the umpire is basically required to stay parallel with the ball the whole way... they're full on sprinting. But! Not too far otherwise they over run the fall of the ball / contest and could miss a free kick, or not too short and the same thing happens. Surely if the physical requirements are lessened then the all important factor of positioning where the ball is going to be can be prioritised?

Not to mention that due to congestion, if you're on the wrong side of a contest then you'll miss the free kick. Give the umps the ability to be able to triangulate every contest, and have umpires sit deep in the 50's - minimal free kicks missed and it would become a much easier game to umpire at AFL level.

More umps on field = more free kicks because maths.

They all have to conclude it is not a free kick, but any one of them can whistle the free.

Must come with better guidance around controlling umpire OR keep 3 on field but have in game rotations.

The umpiring needs a massive overhaul, but just adding more field umpires is not the way to do it.

I know people s**t on eddie, but I like his 8 umpire proposal. Four umpires on the goal line and inside the 50, and four umpires on the outside of the centre square. All 8 umpires can pay free kicks and don't need to run around all day, can stay out of the way and make good decisions.

Honestly at this point, get rid of the bounce and boundary throw ins. Bring in the last possession rule (kick or handball, goes over the line) and for the odd throw in that would still happen (from a spoil over the line etc), just get the central umpire to throw it up 15-20m in from the boundary.

It's going to look silly with the extra umpire lining up in the corner of the square leaving one corner without an umpire
Do you have O.C.D and need symmetry because that was my initial response to your statement...I have O.C.D so was curious?

Do you have O.C.D and need symmetry because that was my initial response to your statement...I have O.C.D so was curious?

I just knew there would be literally hours of meetings held discussing how the umpires will line up, how they rotate the vacant corner etc because that's how stupid these management systems tend to be.

So I was double triggered. The vacant corner will irritate me and so will the monster of useless meetings that decide how it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back