International Four Nations discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Best game of the tournament so far by a distance. Terrific effort by Scotland; if only they'd shown a bit more composure with their last play options with the field position they had. Once again the Kiwis have to thank Johnson for showing his class when needed. Honestly I can't see England getting past the Kangaroos, but if they do, there'll surely be ructions in NZ if they don't make the Final?

Now of course the RFL should be taking advantage of this result to try to grow the game in Scotland, but given their dismal failure to build on the success of the last World Cup, no-one is holding their breath.

BTW, where is NU? I miss his posts, and he doesn't seem to have been around for ages.

Australia should throw the game and let England win for the good of the series.

Who was it? We get screwed over every single game with the opposition having one of their own in the middle.

Cummins. Honestly I have no complaints about the refs, and youse guys may not want to hear this, but I think this tournament has shown once again that NRL refs are generally much better than English ones.

I don't recall any very contentious decisions in this game. A couple of 'was it played at?' six-to-go decisions that could have gone either way, but nothing much.

Australia should throw the game and let England win for the good of the series.

Well that's not going to happen, is it? And neither should it. The green and golds take to the field looking to win every game, and quite right too. 'The good of the game/series' would hardly be served by throwing a match.

Cummins. Honestly I have no complaints about the refs, and youse guys may not want to hear this, but I think this tournament has shown once again that NRL refs are generally much better than English ones.

I don't recall any very contentious decisions in this game. A couple of 'was it played at?' six-to-go decisions that could have gone either way, but nothing much.

I haven't seen the game and are still shocked by the result, but wondered when they'd changed the rules back to neutral refs.

We do seem to be missing a decent kicker.

Last edited:
Well that's not going to happen, is it? And neither should it. The green and golds take to the field looking to win every game, and quite right too. 'The good of the game/series' would hardly be served by throwing a match.

I'm sure they'd never throw a game, but there's every chance they might hold back a bit now.

I haven't seen the game and are still shocked by the result, but wondered when they'd changed the rules back to neutral refs.

We do seem to be missing a decent kicker.

I wouldn't be too hard on Luke; he missed a couple of kicks from the touchline into driving wind and rain; it would have been a fantastic effort to get either of them. Danny Brough has a great left boot, and he missed similar ones too.

This commentary is appalling, why have commentators in the studio in Oz when you have callers at the game. No atmosphere at all, sounds like the game is being played at a morgue.

Have they done this for all AUS games? I hope they don't do it for the final

This commentary is appalling, why have commentators in the studio in Oz when you have callers at the game. No atmosphere at all, sounds like the game is being played at a morgue.

Have they done this for all AUS games? I hope they don't do it for the final

I was trying to work out was going on with the commentary as well - it's bloody terrible like watching someone commentate a game from their couch at home...

Not enough Wigan players in the team! Bateman defended heroically, and Williams did more in a brief cameo than Brown had previously managed. Burgess twins have been ordinary at best, and I'd have liked to see Liam Farrell get a game instead. He may be smaller, but I can't believe he wouldn't have offered more. All that said,a convincing Australian win from a side who were better in every department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance unfortunately.

Link

The Kiwis have been all-but written off for the Four Nations final - and rightfully so.

While they showed patches of promise in the opening win against England, David Kidwell's side have only gone backwards since then.

Thomas Leuluai's broken jaw is likely to force regular back-rower Tohu Harris into the halves, placing even more pressure on Shaun Johnson.

And up against the Kangaroos, who seem to have rediscovered their swagger under Mal Meninga, and who have already beaten New Zealand three times this year, Monday morning's (NZ time) finale at Anfield shapes as a foregone conclusion.

Once again to seems to fall to Johnson to try to magic a win for the Kiwis. It's fair to say they've looked pretty ordinary overall so far, and with TL missing as well (hopefully should be OK for the of the SL season!), it's a hell of an ask.

Menninga calls on countryman to keep good 10.

Link

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has called on referee Ben Cummins to keep a close eye on the 10-metre rule in the Four Nations final, as Australia and New Zealand prepare to do battle on a shortened pitch in Liverpool.

The fabled Anfield surface will be nine metres shorter than regulation for the decider, with organisers sacrificing length to ensure a three-metre gap between the in-goal areas and the fence.

The move comes with both countries keen to avoid a repeat of the 2013 World Cup final at Old Trafford, where players repeatedly crashed into signage at the edge of the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back