Four re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Mildly surprised by Henry Smith's extension - while we usually extend draftees beyond their initial term, I though he might have been at risk. Good for him.

The other 3 re-signings are no-brainers.

Looks like a young McStay
(ducks for cover)

200.gif

Lane listed at 205cm on the Lions website, HSmith 206cm. 2 big boys.

Not a fan of having 2 young, developing ruckmen on the senior list but hopefully one or both are ready to take over from Oscar and Fort in a few years

Not a fan of having 2 young, developing ruckmen on the senior list but hopefully one or both are ready to take over from Oscar and Fort in a few years
I don’t mind, it was an area of weekness last year and they have boosted the stocks in there.
Next we need some quality kp depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a "break glass in an emergency" scenario, who of Lane and HSmith would be more likely to step up into the AFL team at this stage?

But that's the issue with limited spots

2 developing rucks ans Fort is good but not so much when we have Fullarton and Payne as our only backup KPPs
If Dan McStay decides to leave, it most definitely is an issue.
If that were the case, hopefully after matching a bid for Ashcroft we can trade next years first into this years early second round to get a more highly rated Kp Talent.

2 developing rucks ans Fort is good but not so much when we have Fullarton and Payne as our only backup KPPs
The other thing, teams are tending to go back to a 2 ruck set up this year.
So having 2 rucks and 2 developing isn’t a bad thing. As long as they can play forward as well.

Lane is a pure ruckman. Looks to me Smith is being developed more as a forward who can ruck a bit - valuable in the modern game. No problem here.

In a "break glass in an emergency" scenario, who of Lane and HSmith would be more likely to step up into the AFL team at this stage?
Both were very much off the pace in the endurance pre season training sessions I went to, on my viewing of the VFL Kalin seems to have improved in this area and also looks more useful in the ruck and around the ground than Henry.

great the boys re-signed.
Although as others said if Fort goes back to VFL after Joe and Dan back.
We now have 5 backup rucks (inc Buzza) who play as a KPF and one KPB in Payne (Who currently in seniors playing KPF)

great the boys re-signed.
Although as others said if Fort goes back to VFL after Joe and Dan back.
We now have 5 backup rucks (inc Buzza) who play as a KPF and one KPB in Payne (Who currently in seniors playing KPF)
Buzza isn’t actually on the list.
So really isn’t a backup to anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back