Four rounds in, what's changed?

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm ready to call it. The new rules have done absolutely nothing to change the look of the game and it's about time we all accepted that with modern fitness and coaches who have evolved from 100+ years of footy that footy is going to remain congested and more defensive than it once was, because after all winning is in the best interest of coaches. Coaches are ready to move players around the moment there's a second stoppage after a centre bounce.

There's been a few more goals out of stoppages yeah. But has that seriously added to anyone's enjoyment of the game?

Games down to the last minute remain very similar.

I find Steve Hocking's role and how much some (particularly media figures) were crapping on like he was going to be a saviour to the game as laughable. Is this dickhead going to keep changing rules until Hocking finds his elusive football nirvana?

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The 6-6-6 was never meant to cause a massive change or influx in scoring. To me it's a minimal change that might give us a couple good moments.

Some of the other new rules can absolutely GAGF.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
The 6-6-6 was never meant to cause a massive change or influx in scoring. To me it's a minimal change that might give us a couple good moments.

Nonsense, they literally brought in these rules after all this whinging last year about the state of the game and how congested it supposedly was.

Channel 7 being the biggest critics of the game and the CEO literally stating how more goals would equal more ad time.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Of course nothing’s changed, the fact that a few blokes in suits thought they could outsmart 100 of the smartest football minds in the country was baffling and a reflection of the character of those in charge at the moment.
I’m still waiting for the year where the rule changes consist of just fixing up the rules we have already. The main thing wrong with the game is the inconsistent umpiring which (mainly) is not actually on the umpires and rather the stupid rules we have.

The 666 is nothing but a bullshit rule to slowly introduce permanent zones. They'll say it worked from centre bounces and will expand it slowly over the next couple of years.

They want permanent zones and end to end play and goals with zero tackles

They basically want the nba all star game which is boring as bat s**t

Much rather a lower scoring competitive game then end to end downhill skiing

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I couldn't disagree more. Scoring is down, but the game has not looked better in about 15 years, and players/coaches are being challenged tactically. Those players with elite skills and ability to read the game are showing through. It's great to see.

Somethings don't change though- like Carlton :thumbsdown:

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gill is desperate to increase the value of the next television rights deal. It is basically all he made his name on at the AFL, and all he can potentially trumpet in his time as CEO. Because he has been awful.

No doubt he will increase the sale price of AFL... whether it is Big Bash type rule changes, or watching the game on Facebook.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I couldn't disagree more. Scoring is down, but the game has not looked better in about 15 years, and players/coaches are being challenged tactically. Those players with elite skills and ability to read the game are showing through. It's great to see.

Somethings don't change though- like Carlton :thumbsdown:

I think the bigger point is that people are concerned that if scoring does not go up.... what's next from the AFL re rule changes??

Happy you like the new rules... but i don't think the AFL will be happy unless scores go up.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hate 6/6/6, can't stand any of the new rules, or interpretations - with the exception of 'push in the back' instead of 'hands in the back.'

Game in general looks slowing, less attacking, less scoring; more choked up around the centreline.

No need for this s**t adjustment to the game; same as the moronic sub vest, they bring in stupid rules to fix problems that don't exist - and end up creating new ones.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Scores aside, because the result and the contest is what we want, the game has been lacklustre so far.

A few blowouts has seen some high scores.
Dees v Dons was like VFLX.

all in all, not been the best start from a viewing point of view.
Umpiring is struggling
MRO has been inconsistent, even by Christian's standards.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I like most of the new rules. One thing I feel that has changed for the better is there seems to be far less congestion. This used to really frustrate me. The ball seems to bounce back and forwards much more now (don’t have any stats to back my theory up).

What's changed?
Coaches have become more scared to allow scores because they can't get numbers behind the ball at a centre bounce.

The solution?
Make 6-6-6 in place for all throw-ins and stoppages. Take the coaches out of the game and watch it open up

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The game is certainly less entertaining.

What made the AFL so appealing was that it was physical and high scoring.

Rugby is physical and low scoring, basketball high-scoring but not physical, soccer low scoring and somewhat physical (and not physical at all for some players)...

The product has got worse.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
The 666 is nothing but a bullshit rule to slowly introduce permanent zones. They'll say it worked from centre bounces and will expand it slowly over the next couple of years.
Will never happen, imagine the ball stopping 1/2 a metre on one side of a zone and players just standing there in the other zone watching it because they can't go into the other zone to get the ball and then a player in the correct zone just waltzes over picks it up and runs away.

Please tell me how that would be a good look for the game.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
What's changed?
Coaches have become more scared to allow scores because they can't get numbers behind the ball at a centre bounce.

The solution?
Make 6-6-6 in place for all throw-ins and stoppages. Take the coaches out of the game and watch it open up
No, no and no. AFL would become the laughing stock of Australian sport if this happened.

ball up, reset and wait 40 seconds for players to get back into their naughty corners
1 minute later, throw in reset and wait 40 seconds for players to get back into their naughty corners
45 seconds later ball up, reset and wait 40 seconds for players to get back into their naughty corners
30 seconds later throw in, reset and wait 40 seconds for players to get back into their naughty corners

Riveting viewing :rolleyes:

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think we need to accept that scoring will be lower than in the past.

Mind you the highest scoring game this year Ess v Melb looked like a bruise free no pressure fest.

High/low scoring doesn’t define whether a game is good or not.

Not against 6-6-6 or even bringing in a longer goal square or whatever. Rescuing interchange by 10 a year till we hit 40 would be good too.

Even then, I can’t see us returning to average scores of 90+

halalsnackpack

All Australian
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone else think the skills have fallen off big time this year as well? Can't believe the amount of basic skill errors I've seen in almost every game. Fumbling, handballing to teammates' feet, players under no pressure spraying kicks, out on the fulls etc. It's really noticeable this season.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm ready to call it. The new rules have done absolutely nothing to change the look of the game and it's about time we all accepted that with modern fitness and coaches who have evolved from 100+ years of footy that footy is going to remain congested and more defensive than it once was, because after all winning is in the best interest of coaches. Coaches are ready to move players around the moment there's a second stoppage after a centre bounce.

There's been a few more goals out of stoppages yeah. But has that seriously added to anyone's enjoyment of the game?

Games down to the last minute remain very similar.

I find Steve Hocking's role and how much some (particularly media figures) were crapping on like he was going to be a saviour to the game as laughable. Is this dickhead going to keep changing rules until Hocking finds his elusive football nirvana?
For a supposedly smart man Steve Hocking is a dimwit. Why not trial the new rules over a couple of preseasons before bringing them in? Of course they haven’t achieved the afls desired result of high scoring and I’m so glad. These idiots at Afl house play with the game like it is their own personal toy.
However it won’t end with this year’s rule changes, prepare for the following to be brought in over the next couple of years, no kicking backwards, last touch out of bounds, smaller field, less players on the ground, tackling out and tagging in and of course the piece de resistance, shooting flames from the goal posts when a goal is scored.

Back