Fox Cricket commentary and coverage 2018-19

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
There's a lot of history between Sir Donald and Chappelli going back many years. There was a lot of bad blood between Bradman and Vic Richardson that Chappelli touches on, and feels Bradman always had it in for him because of his grandfather. We all know Bradman never voted for Chappelli as captain of Australia but he was outvoted by other board members, plus Chappelli and Bradman were at war over player payments.

I remember Chappelli's comment that Bradman was more responsible for the advent of World Series Cricket than anyone. Greg Chappell had many battles with Bradman as well when he was captain of Australia.
Ian Chappell's two great skills are captaining cricket teams and holding grudges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJG14

Team Captain
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
And Les Favell anecdotes. This summer isn't the same without them...
I was so disappointed that Chappell wasn't commentating the last test match, becuase I wasn't repeatedly reminded about how the slips should stand deeper and the fact that it's hard to get an LBW in Perth.

Last edited:

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Ian Chappell's two great skills are captaining cricket teams and holding grudges.
And being the pioneer of the modern era of cricket. Every contemporary cricketer should say a word of thanks for his courage and the stance he took years ago to improve conditions and wages for cricketers. When World Series Cricket realised, Chappell didn't have to join, he was already financially stable through his own business and didn't need the money, but he did so because he believed in the concept and his concern for the future of the game.

It's a pity all some people see him for is telling stories on Channel 9. If people stopped thinking of him as an old man shouting at clouds and took the time to listen to what he's saying, the game would be in better shape. I don't mind if people don't like Chappell, but I do mind when they don't respect him.

dtm06

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And being the pioneer of the modern era of cricket. Every contemporary cricketer should say a word of thanks for his courage and the stance he took years ago to improve conditions and wages for cricketers. When World Series Cricket realised, Chappell didn't have to join, he was already financially stable through his own business and didn't need the money, but he did so because he believed in the concept and his concern for the future of the game.

It's a pity all some people see him for is telling stories on Channel 9. If people stopped thinking of him as an old man shouting at clouds and took the time to listen to what he's saying, the game would be in better shape. I don't mind if people don't like Chappell, but I do mind when they don't respect him.
I don't think anyone is questioning his analysis. Three recent examples are his dubiousness over Stoinis and Finch as well as Kohli's captaincy. All three made a lot of sense and in print are fantastic.

The problem most people have is that when he was commentating on TV, those viewpoints (of the day) tended to be all he could talk about, as well as long, waffling, usually boring to most, stories of yesteryear. In a lot of ways he was like Warne, usually had a decent point to make, but had to make it all summer long.

And yes, anyone who doesn't appreciate what he did for the game is most likely unaware of what he did. Doesn't make him a good TV commentator tough.

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I don't think anyone is questioning his analysis. Three recent examples are his dubiousness over Stoinis and Finch as well as Kohli's captaincy. All three made a lot of sense and in print are fantastic.

The problem most people have is that when he was commentating on TV, those viewpoints (of the day) tended to be all he could talk about, as well as long, waffling, usually boring to most, stories of yesteryear. In a lot of ways he was like Warne, usually had a decent point to make, but had to make it all summer long.

And yes, anyone who doesn't appreciate what he did for the game is most likely unaware of what he did. Doesn't make him a good TV commentator tough.
Maybe, but I'd still rather a Chappell or a Warne who have points to make rather than a Gilchrist who is scared to disagree with anyone for fear of being unpopular.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Maybe, but I have spoken to many people who knew Bradman both inside and outside of Cricket and none of them liked him so he is not on his own.
That Bradman was a prick is one of the best-known but least discussed facts of Australian cricket.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That Bradman was a prick is one of the best-known but least discussed facts of Australian cricket.
I think he was more aloof and approached cricket more like a job than his teammates (ironically given his stance on WSC) more than he was a prick. I recommend the book The Private Don by Christine Wallace for an intimate look at the guys personality (also gives insight into what a ruthless prick Rupert Murdoch was funnily enough, via a bio of some newspaper editor Bradman corresponded with).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
Not enjoying Darren Lehmann tonight
I wasn't either, I switched to ch7 pretty early.

It annoys me that Fox Sports are normally more reliable in producing a straight down the line, serious and quality analysis of sport... but with the BBL they've not only accepted all the vested interests, they've embraced them. To have Lehmann commentating on his son the night after they had Symonds commentating while wearing Heat gear is dragging their coverage down terribly.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers

It's not like WSC magically made everything better for Australian cricketers. Australian cricketers were still poorly paid right through the 80s, as well. That's what motivated so many to sign up for the South African rebel tours, or brother Greg to not tour overseas. Mark Taylor was offered less than ten thousand a year after the 1989 Ashes - compared to Ian Chappell 's $25k a year for WSC, despite him doing it purely for love, apparently.

Ian Chappell was neither the first nor the last Australian to stand up to appalling management from the ACB - one of the reasons I feel so strongly about The Don - and I honestly and genuinely applaud him for doing so. But to say every contemporary cricketer should genuflect at the very thought of him is a bit rich.

Top Bottom