Fox Cricket commentary and coverage 2018-19

AFL Club
Adelaide
Was pretty awkward hearing the commentary whenever O'Keefe and Mark Waugh came to the com box.

Howard: Mayank Agarwal averages over 50 in the Ranji trophy.

Waugh: Well everybody averages 50 over there, 50 over there is like 40 in the Shield cricket.

O'Keefe: I think he also has a triple ton to his name in first class cricket.

Waugh: Is it?

O'Keefe: It was apparently scored against the Jalandhar Railways canteen XI with the pantry chef and waiters in the team probably..

*blokey laughter from everyone in the box*

A few hours later..

Waugh (to Bhogle): You should teach us the Indian head shake Harsha..

*Bhogle goes on with the awkward conversation*

Waugh: You should do the Indian headshake masterclass tomorrow Harsha in the Fox studio.

*Cringe level increases but Harsha tries to go on with the awkward conversation in his usual style*

Really felt for Bhogle being the lone Indian guy in the commentary team lol..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Was pretty awkward hearing the commentary whenever O'Keefe and Mark Waugh came to the com box.

Waugh: Well everybody averages 50 over there, 50 over there is like 40 in the Shield cricket.

O'Keefe: It was apparently scored against the Jalandhar Railways canteen XI with the pantry chef and waiters in the team probably..

A few hours later..

Waugh: You should do the Indian headshake masterclass tomorrow Harsha in the Fox studio.

*Cringle level increases but Harsha tries to go on with the awkward conversation in his usual style*

Were Waugh and O'Keefe wrong about the Ranji Trophy?

caveman72

Team Captain
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
adelaide lightning

A few hours later..

*Cringle level increases but Harsha tries to go on with the awkward conversation in his usual style*

Bhogle should have asked Waugh how his bookie mate was going

AFL Club
Adelaide
Were Waugh and O'Keefe wrong about the Ranji Trophy?
Which bit?

The 50 averagers being 40 average equivalent? Not sure how I can answer that one because none of the Indian players play Shield cricket and vice versa for Australian cricketers. All we can do is speculate. But what I can say though is that most of those who average over 50 in the Ranji trophy are fairly talented batsmen and 45-50 is generally the accepted qualifying bar to earn a test cap in the Ranji trophy.

I think the disparity in averages (between Indian and Australian batsmen) is because Australia is going through a particularly lean patch in their history in terms of producing world class batsmen. They still boast of having the cream of the world's bowling attacks and they have sufficient bench strength to back it up but it's not the same case when it comes to batting which is why you see so many Australian test batsmen averaging in the low 40s and high 30s in first class cricket. It was not the same case a decade and a half back when you had guys like David Hussey, Michael Bevan and Hodge averaging 50+ in fc cricket but still not finding a place in the Australian test side.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Bhogle should have asked Waugh how his bookie mate was going
Not sure Bhogle would want to risk his fox contract after what happened to his star contract two years ago in India. I guess it comes with the package and he must have grown a thicker skin owing to his past experiences.

happy_eagle

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the risk of sounding out of touch, what exactly is the issue with his comments. Is there a negative stereotype about canteen staff and Indians that I have missed?
It is widely known that batters do very well in Indian domestic cricket, and pitches are often very batter friendly (every year there seems to be a story about a 13 year old scoring a triple ton).
For starters, it's denigrating to compare the cricketing abilities of a professional cricketer akin to that of a canteen chef and waiter.

Also most of those records you mention are scored in school tournaments (like the Harris shield), I would bite your hand off to get a 13 year old kid scoring a triple ton in the Ranji trophy.

I guess it was a joke from O'Keefe, albeit an awkward one at that.

Last edited:

happy_eagle

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
For starters, it's denigrating to compare the cricketing abilities of a professional cricketer akin to that of a canteen chef and waiter.

Also most of those records you mention are scored in school tournaments (like the Harris shield), I would bite your hand off to get a 13 year old kid scoring a triple ton in the Ranji trophy.

I guess it was a joke from O'Keefe, albeit an awkward one at that.
Disrespectful sure
I struggle to see the racial angle which some people are saying exists ?

AFL Club
Adelaide
Disrespectful sure
I struggle to see the racial angle which some people are saying exists ?
I don't think that was a racist comment from O'Keefe. Just a poorly worded joke I would say. He is a pretty jovial guy.

Mark Waugh on the other hand can sometimes come across as condescending, maybe it's just me.

frankrizzo

Norm Smith Medallist
Odd time to be having a go at domestic comps anyway, even if 40 in the shield is 50 over there so what? We are picking blokes for test cricket who average in the 30's in the shield we would kill to have a ton of blokes who could average 40+ here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Odd time to be having a go at domestic comps anyway, even if 40 in the shield is 50 over there so what? We are picking blokes for test cricket who average in the 30's in the shield we would kill to have a ton of blokes who could average 40+ here.
By which logic we can say that their point was correct, but India is still producing better batsmen than we are.

So the complaint about his joke is misguided - although Railways has actually turned things around over the last couple of decades. For the sake of a joke, though, their name and long history of being pretty ordinary makes them ripe for the picking.

AFL Club
Adelaide
By which logic we can say that their point was correct, but India is still producing better batsmen than we are.

So the complaint about his joke is misguided - although Railways has actually turned things around over the last couple of decades. For the sake of a joke, though, their name and long history of being pretty ordinary makes them ripe for the picking.
How so?

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Entirely offtopic, but if anyones FC comp deserves to be mocked it's South Africa for making a higher standard competition of merged teams, but keeping the old lower standard one as FC status at the same time, so you can conceivably have what is essentially a Second XI player averaging 45 in First Class cricket while not being able to get a game in the top tier comp because a guy averaging 30 in the exact same format is better than him.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Entirely offtopic, but if anyones FC comp deserves to be mocked it's South Africa for making a higher standard competition of merged teams, but keeping the old lower standard one as FC status at the same time, so you can conceivably have what is essentially a Second XI player averaging 45 in First Class cricket while not being able to get a game in the top tier comp because a guy averaging 30 in the exact same format is better than him.
It's one of those weird carryovers from the old Currie Cup. I suppose in terms of quality it can't be much worse than County Championsip Division 2, but still strange.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think that was a racist comment from O'Keefe. Just a poorly worded joke I would say. He is a pretty jovial guy.

Mark Waugh on the other hand can sometimes come across as condescending, maybe it's just me.
Agree on Mark Waugh coming across as a very condescending dickhead at times, similar to Ian Healy. I think I recall from the last Test a moment where Bhogle was trying to explain how some Indian sport (name I can't recall) influenced one of the bowlers and Waugh chimed in with "The name sounds like kebab. Kebab, kebab, kebab".

Would say in his defense that it is entirely possible he is an equal opportunity condescender, as I think I recall him acting the same way on BBL commentary to fellow Australians.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Also, on the Railways comment, I must admit when I first read the name as a kid I assumed that it was a team made up of people who worked on trains, so maybe that's where he got the inspiration? Also thought that all the Pakistan teams with "Bank" in the name were teams for people who worked at those Banks.

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
If you ever go onto news.com.au during a test match, under all the prince harry and karl stefanovich headlines there'll be some minor incident that they'll have blown up into a 'you'll never believe' style bullshit headline. It used to be a decent proper news site but is now the most shameless clickbait site I've ever seen.

So basically there was no controversy yesterday unless you really want there to be some.

Ishikawa

Senior List
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yet their depth of talent (particularly fast bowlers) that come through the system is insane. I don't know much about it, but it seems to be working surprisingly well.

Also, on the Railways comment, I must admit when I first read the name as a kid I assumed that it was a team made up of people who worked on trains, so maybe that's where he got the inspiration? Also thought that all the Pakistan teams with "Bank" in the name were teams for people who worked at those Banks.
I think you're actually right. Historically it was the case with teams being owned by rich businessmen or patrons associated with different industries in these countries (ie. Sui Northern Gas Limited Pipelines FTW) and when cricket wasn't professional players would be supported with a role at the company. Pretty sure Rangan Herath was working as a bank teller for quite a while and even after he made his test debut.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tim Paine, Tim Cahill
the f..ox effect.. say anything and you won't remember.. but you said it and hundreds will.

Top Bottom