MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
And Les Favell anecdotes. This summer isn't the same without them...
I was so disappointed that Chappell wasn't commentating the last test match, becuase I wasn't repeatedly reminded about how the slips should stand deeper and the fact that it's hard to get an LBW in Perth.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Ian Chappell's two great skills are captaining cricket teams and holding grudges.

And being the pioneer of the modern era of cricket. Every contemporary cricketer should say a word of thanks for his courage and the stance he took years ago to improve conditions and wages for cricketers. When World Series Cricket realised, Chappell didn't have to join, he was already financially stable through his own business and didn't need the money, but he did so because he believed in the concept and his concern for the future of the game.

It's a pity all some people see him for is telling stories on Channel 9. If people stopped thinking of him as an old man shouting at clouds and took the time to listen to what he's saying, the game would be in better shape. I don't mind if people don't like Chappell, but I do mind when they don't respect him.

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And being the pioneer of the modern era of cricket. Every contemporary cricketer should say a word of thanks for his courage and the stance he took years ago to improve conditions and wages for cricketers. When World Series Cricket realised, Chappell didn't have to join, he was already financially stable through his own business and didn't need the money, but he did so because he believed in the concept and his concern for the future of the game.

It's a pity all some people see him for is telling stories on Channel 9. If people stopped thinking of him as an old man shouting at clouds and took the time to listen to what he's saying, the game would be in better shape. I don't mind if people don't like Chappell, but I do mind when they don't respect him.
I don't think anyone is questioning his analysis. Three recent examples are his dubiousness over Stoinis and Finch as well as Kohli's captaincy. All three made a lot of sense and in print are fantastic.

The problem most people have is that when he was commentating on TV, those viewpoints (of the day) tended to be all he could talk about, as well as long, waffling, usually boring to most, stories of yesteryear. In a lot of ways he was like Warne, usually had a decent point to make, but had to make it all summer long.

And yes, anyone who doesn't appreciate what he did for the game is most likely unaware of what he did. Doesn't make him a good TV commentator tough.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I don't think anyone is questioning his analysis. Three recent examples are his dubiousness over Stoinis and Finch as well as Kohli's captaincy. All three made a lot of sense and in print are fantastic.

The problem most people have is that when he was commentating on TV, those viewpoints (of the day) tended to be all he could talk about, as well as long, waffling, usually boring to most, stories of yesteryear. In a lot of ways he was like Warne, usually had a decent point to make, but had to make it all summer long.

And yes, anyone who doesn't appreciate what he did for the game is most likely unaware of what he did. Doesn't make him a good TV commentator tough.

Maybe, but I'd still rather a Chappell or a Warne who have points to make rather than a Gilchrist who is scared to disagree with anyone for fear of being unpopular.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That Bradman was a prick is one of the best-known but least discussed facts of Australian cricket.
I think he was more aloof and approached cricket more like a job than his teammates (ironically given his stance on WSC) more than he was a prick. I recommend the book The Private Don by Christine Wallace for an intimate look at the guys personality (also gives insight into what a ruthless prick Rupert Murdoch was funnily enough, via a bio of some newspaper editor Bradman corresponded with).

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Not enjoying Darren Lehmann tonight

I wasn't either, I switched to ch7 pretty early.

It annoys me that Fox Sports are normally more reliable in producing a straight down the line, serious and quality analysis of sport... but with the BBL they've not only accepted all the vested interests, they've embraced them. To have Lehmann commentating on his son the night after they had Symonds commentating while wearing Heat gear is dragging their coverage down terribly.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

It's not like WSC magically made everything better for Australian cricketers. Australian cricketers were still poorly paid right through the 80s, as well. That's what motivated so many to sign up for the South African rebel tours, or brother Greg to not tour overseas. Mark Taylor was offered less than ten thousand a year after the 1989 Ashes - compared to Ian Chappell 's $25k a year for WSC, despite him doing it purely for love, apparently.

Ian Chappell was neither the first nor the last Australian to stand up to appalling management from the ACB - one of the reasons I feel so strongly about The Don - and I honestly and genuinely applaud him for doing so. But to say every contemporary cricketer should genuflect at the very thought of him is a bit rich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was pretty awkward hearing the commentary whenever O'Keefe and Mark Waugh came to the com box.

Howard: Mayank Agarwal averages over 50 in the Ranji trophy.

Waugh: Well everybody averages 50 over there, 50 over there is like 40 in the Shield cricket.

O'Keefe: I think he also has a triple ton to his name in first class cricket.

Waugh: Is it?

O'Keefe: It was apparently scored against the Jalandhar Railways canteen XI with the pantry chef and waiters in the team probably..

*blokey laughter from everyone in the box*

A few hours later..

Waugh (to Bhogle): You should teach us the Indian head shake Harsha..

*Bhogle goes on with the awkward conversation*

Waugh: You should do the Indian headshake masterclass tomorrow Harsha in the Fox studio.

*Cringe level increases but Harsha tries to go on with the awkward conversation in his usual style*

Really felt for Bhogle being the lone Indian guy in the commentary team lol..

Last edited:
Was pretty awkward hearing the commentary whenever O'Keefe and Mark Waugh came to the com box.

Waugh: Well everybody averages 50 over there, 50 over there is like 40 in the Shield cricket.

O'Keefe: It was apparently scored against the Jalandhar Railways canteen XI with the pantry chef and waiters in the team probably..

A few hours later..

Waugh: You should do the Indian headshake masterclass tomorrow Harsha in the Fox studio.

*Cringle level increases but Harsha tries to go on with the awkward conversation in his usual style*

Were Waugh and O'Keefe wrong about the Ranji Trophy?

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong

A few hours later..

*Cringle level increases but Harsha tries to go on with the awkward conversation in his usual style*

Bhogle should have asked Waugh how his bookie mate was going

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Were Waugh and O'Keefe wrong about the Ranji Trophy?

Which bit?

The 50 averagers being 40 average equivalent? Not sure how I can answer that one because none of the Indian players play Shield cricket and vice versa for Australian cricketers. All we can do is speculate. But what I can say though is that most of those who average over 50 in the Ranji trophy are fairly talented batsmen and 45-50 is generally the accepted qualifying bar to earn a test cap in the Ranji trophy.

I think the disparity in averages (between Indian and Australian batsmen) is because Australia is going through a particularly lean patch in their history in terms of producing world class batsmen. They still boast of having the cream of the world's bowling attacks and they have sufficient bench strength to back it up but it's not the same case when it comes to batting which is why you see so many Australian test batsmen averaging in the low 40s and high 30s in first class cricket. It was not the same case a decade and a half back when you had guys like David Hussey, Michael Bevan and Hodge averaging 50+ in fc cricket but still not finding a place in the Australian test side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back