Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
The Bounce, 'footy show'.

Understandably (like most footy shows at the moment) it's barely watchable given there is no actual footy, but prior to this and I'll ask as diplomatically as I can - is this show's target demographic centered around 12-16yo kids that have some interest in AFL...?
If that is the case, then I get it, as for no other reason can I fathom how this rubbish has survived more than a few seasons on our TV's...!

If it's NOT the case - then I'm happy to be labeled a grumpy old man - because the cringe worthy bumbling production of various segments with the fake laughter (assuming it is) at nearly anything is simply a struggle to watch.

I actually think it's an achievement that reasonably intelligent adults (and high achievers in their own right) are able to undertake this on behalf of the show's so-called comedy theme and narrative every week!
Accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised (hoping) that after every show they actually have a 'genuine laugh' with each other about how they somehow got through another episode pretending everything they presented or said was somehow hilarious..?

In all honestly it wouldn't be so bad if any of them, including Dunstall (who is the best of the worst) and the late Spud Frawley (RIP mate) had some reasonable presentation and/or delivery skills for TV, but bizarrely none of them have, to be blunt, they are all awful!
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious and this is by design part of some new production strategy (Play School meets Funniest home videos), or is it simply the fact that Fox don't have a budget for decent presenters or comedians...?

On a more positive note I do miss the rapport Dunstall had with Frawley at times.
When they were discussing the 50th anniversary of Man walking on the Moon last year, Chief quipped; "What would you know about history Spud, first man to step on the moon was who?" Spud snapped back; "Well everyone knows it was Lance Armstrong, you bloody idiot!".
"Was it really Spud, what, did he ride his bike there?", Chief replies sarcastically...

End of rant.

ps. for those who reply 'don't watch it then you grumpy old bastard', note I reluctantly do in support of my 16yo son who somehow finds it entertaining, hence the target demographic question above...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
to me, the point of watching the classic games is the total experience of how everything was, including the commentary (for better or worse). I have little to no interest in a re-commentated classic game.
I do, I love it. Now I got two versions to watch. I not caught many of them but intend to before next week. 1993 game between Carlton and Essendon was great before I had to go out so ever since been meaning to find time to watch more of them but been binge watching Handmaid's Tale, Westworld and Curb your Enthusiam so never found the time Finished those all now so got more free time to catch more of these. I am probably not going to bother much of ones from last 15 years as too recent in memory for me to have the same interest of look back. But ones I not seen for sometime will really enjoy the live recalls.
The thing is, you can always watch the originals so do not understand why live recalls upset you so much.

The Bounce, 'footy show'.

Understandably (like most footy shows at the moment) it's barely watchable given there is no actual footy, but prior to this and I'll ask as diplomatically as I can - is this show's target demographic centered around 12-16yo kids that have some interest in AFL...?
If that is the case, then I get it, as for no other reason can I fathom how this rubbish has survived more than a few seasons on our TV's...!

If it's NOT the case - then I'm happy to be labeled a grumpy old man - because the cringe worthy bumbling production of various segments with the fake laughter (assuming it is) at nearly anything is simply a struggle to watch.

I actually think it's an achievement that reasonably intelligent adults (and high achievers in their own right) are able to undertake this on behalf of the show's so-called comedy theme and narrative every week!
Accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised (hoping) that after every show they actually have a 'genuine laugh' with each other about how they somehow got through another episode pretending everything they presented or said was somehow hilarious...

In all honestly it wouldn't be so bad if any of them, including Dunstall (who is the best of the worst) and the late Spud Frawley (RIP mate) had some reasonable presentation and/or delivery skills for TV, but bizarrely none of them have, to be blunt, they are all awful!
Perhaps I'm missing the obvious and this is by design part of some new production strategy (Play School meets Funniest home videos), or is it simply the fact that Fox don't have a budget for decent presenters or comedians...?

On a more positive note I do miss the rapport Dunstall had with Frawley at times.
When they were discussing the 50th anniversary of Man walking on the Moon last year, Chief quipped; "What would you know about history Spud, first man to step on the moon was who?" Spud snapped back; "Well everyone knows it was Lance Armstrong, you bloody idiot!".
"Was it really Spud, what, did he ride his bike there?", Chief replies sarcastically...

End of rant.

ps. for those who reply 'don't watch it then you grumpy old bastard', note I reluctantly do in support of my 16yo son who somehow finds it entertaining, hence the target demographic question above...
It was borderline watchable for a while, but the move to a live audience has killed it stone cold dead for me. I mean the promo during the lead up to round one was them having a bloody food fight, for Christs sake.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
It was borderline watchable for a while, but the move to a live audience has killed it stone cold dead for me. I mean the promo during the lead up to round one was them having a bloody food fight, for Christs sake.

Noted, but you didn't address my query, the show's target audience is kids, right?

I’ve posted here before that Fox Footy should put together mini game package of each game played each week ie a 30 min package like BEIN does with soccer.

Well looks like the NRL channel on Foxtel is now introduced it but looking at the schedule nothing on the cards for AFL. Just shithouse by Fox.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Mark Howard making his Fox Footy commentary debut this weekend in the Carlton vs Melbourne match

Apr 8, 2004
Canberra, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool member, GWS Fdn member
The were introducing a lot of female journos and presenters in recent years, and then went backwards on that this year.

I like Sarah Olle and Sarah Jones....

Anna Harrington...gone, Neroli Meadows...gone.. Couple of others escape me.

I didn't watch it every week, but Bounce is now insufferable without Spud there. Gaze and Dunstall are the real flogs.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The were introducing a lot of female journos and presenters in recent years, and then went backwards on that this year.

I like Sarah Olle and Sarah Jones....

Anna Harrington...gone, Neroli Meadows...gone.. Couple of others escape me.

I didn't watch it every week, but Bounce is now insufferable without Spud there. Gaze and Dunstall are the real flogs.
How anybody could classify Gaze as a flog is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 8, 2004
Canberra, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool member, GWS Fdn member
Struggling with Fox Footy at the moment...Jonathon Brown was a huge presence on the football although he played his best football after the 3 Premierships were won. Meaning their were other more influential players that got them over the line. However as a commentator he is as dumb as dogshite. Adds absolutely nothing to the program. Sounds like a hick and acts like one. Glad I do not have Fox on at home and if i did I would not be watching Browny.

Brown was lucky he was good at footy. He isn't exactly a brain surgeon.

Nothing, butchers the English language despite appearing intelligent. Going to be even worse if Jack Riewoldt and treloar follow him on from boring 360 guest to boring commentator.

The frameless glasses dob't make him any smarter.

reiwoldt, N, outraged and lashed out at the demons, specifically about maxwell gawns non appearance at the singing post game.

kinda funny when asked about this on melbournes MMM, gawn explained that he was being interviewed by foxfootys sarah jones hence missing the post game ritual

Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, PAOK
I thought it was a bit ridiculous how he tried to spin it into Melbourne's culture is poor and blah blah. I realise they are trying to create debate and a bit of controversy but come on that's just awful.

On the couch really has gone downhill, Brown doesn't fit in well to a show that is based on analysis, can't exactly articulate his points and speaks over people a lot. Don't know if they are trying to follow the Footy classified mold of talking over someone so they can't get their point and prove you wrong but I don't like it. Even so overall I didn't mind Riewoldt last night, despite him trying to spin the Melbourne thing into something it's not.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
I thought it was a bit ridiculous how he tried to spin it into Melbourne's culture is poor and blah blah. I realise they are trying to create debate and a bit of controversy but come on that's just awful.

On the coach really has gone downhill, Brown doesn't fit in well to a show that is based on analysis, can't exactly articulate his points and speaks over people a lot. Don't know if they are trying to follow the Footy classified mold of talking over someone so they can't get their point and prove you wrong but I don't like it. Even so overall I didn't mind Riewoldt last night, despite him trying to spin the Melbourne thing into something it's not.
Way too much of a rabble there. Gary Lyon the only cool head who talks in a listen able manner. At least Paul roos also spoke at a listen able tempo.
Why bother getting Dangerfield on? Such a spin doctor, again offered nothing in an interview. Can see the hosts looking at each other thinking ffs.

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Mark Howard to call has lost me. Bloke should go back to doing the lost dog reunited its owner after 6 mth stories before the sport on Channel 10. Must habe brown nosed alot of people to get his various gigs. Dead set cringeworthy with his level of carry on. Not a fan at all

Can anyone at all explain what Jordan Lewis offers??

At all?

Awful.
definitely doesn’t offer great knowledge of the players he’s commenting on, was complimenting a goal Taberner kicked one his left foot as being a good goal on his non dominant foot, when in reality he’s a left footer.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Mark Howard to call has lost me. Bloke should go back to doing the lost dog reunited its owner after 6 mth stories before the sport on Channel 10. Must habe brown nosed alot of people to get his various gigs. Dead set cringeworthy with his level of carry on. Not a fan at all
He's just as bad when he's doing the cricket on Fox. Total hyperbolic hack and a shameless sycophant as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back