Fox Footy 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Aus Fox Sports (and other) producers are slowly introducing the US model of sports broadcasting where pre and post game studio analysis/presentations allows them to commercialize the hell out of any match. You'll note cricket broadcasts are heading the same way, e.g. the 'cricket-360' show after ever test last year.
It didn't always used to be that way up here. You'd have pre-game NFL shows every Sunday on the networks that showed football, but that'd generally be it. No postgame, even, just a few thoughts from the commentators after the game — might have been over in a matter of 15 minutes, and that's on the long side. CBS still doesn't have a postgame show, actually, and Fox only has one when they have the doubleheader, only so they can take their football coverage up to 8 p.m. on the east coast (if it runs late, they just go right to regular programming).

Things started to change, in my opinion, when the major leagues moved their broadcasts to dedicated cable sports networks. When MLB games were on local stations, for example, there was no pregame to speak of. It was live at the top of the hour for a brief intro and first pitch at five minutes past. That's why games start at 7:05, for example — it was the only way to set anything up at all, like who was the starting pitcher. (I figure they keep the "tradition" for the sake of the extra commercials they can squeeze in, even in spite of the half-hour pregame.) Now that they have networks that are more or less dedicated to the team (the off-hour programming on the Florida networks is traaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssshhhhhhh), they have all the time in the world to do these studio shows.

I don't mind them, though. They can be interesting at times, and it's not exactly taking up airtime on a network that'd be showing something quality otherwise. The postgame shows tend to be more interesting than pregames, though.

But the advertising is getting out of hand up here in some sports. In the NHL, after an icing, NBC has been double-boxing with a 15-second commercial because they can't go to commercial after icings (the idea is to penalize the team who iced the puck; you keep the same line out there, you can't call timeout; TV can't go to break). That's bad, but at least there's no play going on, unlike in the NBA, which will do the same thing during free throws.

So you shouldn't fear the American-style pre and post-game shows as much as you should fear the networks trying to squeeze in ads where they don't belong, because it's jarring as hell, even when you know it's coming. I've heard Seven does it on AFL, but since I watch through WatchAFL, I get the Fox Footy feed, which I guess is cleaned up. Not sure how that works, tbh.

I was shocked when I lived in the US many years ago to discover (and this is on the extreme end) that the yanks sit in front of a TV to watch an NFL game which is a three hour broadcast, to view only around 8 minutes of actual live play...!
The live play number seems to get less and less every time I hear it, even though the game seems to remain the same. IDK, part of the core of American football is that downtime between plays that allows for teams to strategize their next move. Gridiron is just a completely different game. I'd compare it more to baseball in that sense than I would any other code of football.

Related, I followed the NY Jets and without consultation stupidly subscribed to the official NFL channel/App, thinking I could watch live games, only to soon discover it was all studio pre and past match analysis with some replays of highlights as they (the actual NFL) didn't have/had sold the broadcast rights for live play to NBC/Fox/CBS etc....
So that brings me to the next thing: NFL Red Zone has completely changed the way a lot of us watch football up here. It's whip-around coverage (without commercials) from across the NFL. Its mission is to cut to games that are literally in the red zone, though in the late-afternoon window, it'll usually just stick with alternating between games depending on the situation, since there are fewer games, and thus fewer chances for red zone opportunities. Theoretically, if someone could just subscribe to that (I'm not sure if you can, I just get it through my cable), they'd be able to follow all 32 teams pretty well. It's a miracle of broadcasting, in my opinion. (Which makes you wonder how the NFL has screwed everything else up on that front so badly, right?)

Anybody know where I can find the video of the Fox Footy 'festival of footy' ads featuring guys in space and so forth?

I've looked everywhere, can't find it.

This channel has its head so far up its own arse it's not funny.

And it seems to hire football "personalities" who exhibit similar tendencies (Jack Riewoldt, Jordan Lewis etc).

Just horrible.

AFL360's ratings have dropped off a lot from their peak a few years back so clearly the sentiments here aren't isolated examples. Wonder if they'll shake up the format next year?

AFL360's ratings have dropped off a lot from their peak a few years back so clearly the sentiments here aren't isolated examples. Wonder if they'll shake up the format next year?
They definitely need to. I've posted in more detail in the 360 thread during the year, but basically they've been drinking their own bathwater for a few years now and have killed the very good show that they had.

Liking Ultimate Preview, should come back for the regular season 2021, but would probably need to be 2 hours. Is the perfect replacement for the outdated league teams they ditched a few years back. Not sure how much analysis that an Adelaide v North game would get or need lol

So that brings me to the next thing: NFL Red Zone has completely changed the way a lot of us watch football up here. It's whip-around coverage (without commercials) from across the NFL. Its mission is to cut to games that are literally in the red zone, though in the late-afternoon window, it'll usually just stick with alternating between games depending on the situation, since there are fewer games, and thus fewer chances for red zone opportunities. Theoretically, if someone could just subscribe to that (I'm not sure if you can, I just get it through my cable), they'd be able to follow all 32 teams pretty well. It's a miracle of broadcasting, in my opinion. (Which makes you wonder how the NFL has screwed everything else up on that front so badly, right?)
Redzone is fantastic and perfect for NFL because it removes all the stoppage in play and you get a feel of all the games. I used to subscribe to full package on NFL Gamepass but it’s now over priced so I subscribe to their Essentials package which is Redzone plus the 40min condensed games.

Hopefully condensed or mini games is included in the next round of AFL broadcasting rights because it’s way way overdue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Rod Law say it was cancelled?
All I've got for ya is that he didn't correct Sam when he said about 3 times that it was gone. 17 mins into this:

Last edited:
The NFL Redzone is great way of doing around the grounds but didn't ESPN drop it last season because I couldn't find it and by last season I mean the 19/20 season.
Yeah NFL decided to keep it on NFL Network to force you to subscribe to Gamepass ...which worked because people like me paid for it. You can subscribe to Essentials package which is a lot cheaper that full package. Gives you Redzone and 40 min condensed games

Has The Bounce been canned? How come? Rod Law said on Sam Newman's podcast that it's one of their highest rating shows
I think any show coming on in prime time straight after live football would rate well. Whether it's canned or not, something else needs to fill that timeslot (e.g. further coverage of the match that has just finished or a Sunday Stretch type show, either of them leading in to First Crack). Bounce used to have a better feel on a Friday night as a lead in to the round, but it was also less silly back then. While I like the people on there, I basically see it as a kids show.

the bounce was great Sunday evening. A great way to wind down. Even if you lost the Sunday afternoon game it brought you back to normal with some silly laughs and weird stats.

The question is.. will it be the same without Spud...
The answer... it will feel forced and meh

Replace it with a Sunday evening show straight after the last game and just have a "The round that was" show with highlights, coaches conferences etc

the bounce was great Sunday evening. A great way to wind down. Even if you lost the Sunday afternoon game it brought you back to normal with some silly laughs and weird stats.

The question is.. will it be the same without Spud...
The answer... it will feel forced and meh

Replace it with a Sunday evening show straight after the last game and just have a "The round that was" show with highlights, coaches conferences etc
It was on this year without Spud.

It was on this year without Spud.

And from the 4-5 episodes I saw, it absolutely sucked.

I said a year ago that the show should've ended with Spud, cos he really was the show - the episodes I saw this year really backed that up, because a mediocre-but-light hearted post-round show really became unwatchable swill this season.

I totally get the need to have a woman on the show. Representation is important, and they should have a woman on their panel every week - but Sharni Layton is just so not a tv star. Give me Tegan Higgenbotham. Given me Sarah Jones. Give me Neroli Meadows (in a past employ.) Give me the other Sarah (formerly of Triple M I think?) who seemed to disappear from Fox Footy this 'rona year. Give me any number of female comedians from Melbourne who understand AFL much better than many men would give them credit for. Give me any number of AFLW stars deserving of a greater media profile.

Layton's not the worst thing on the show - Bernie Vince was just as intolerable, it's just that he doesn't even need replacing. The show should be Dunstall, Gaze, Mooney (minus the cringeworthy numerology that isn't helped by Dunstall telling us every week that it sucks), and whoever the most appropriate woman is who fits the tone of the show and has some charisma (which I though was Tegan from her appearances, but this thread at the time suggested otherwise. So give me Sarah. Or give me someone from AFLW who has some charisma like Darcy Vescio.)

not just fox footy and Im not sexist but having females on these footy shows makes the whole thing a bit meh.

Dunno why. Just prefer listening to ex players and broadcasters like the great 90s AFL
Richo, Ling, Darcy, Ricciuto, Brownless...they’re all s**t. And Gaze and Vince are absolute garbage on Bounce or anything else. How are Sarah Jones and co worse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back