Game Day Fox Footy 50 / 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, every game in the first weekend of the 94 finals series was pretty good. North beat Hawthorn in extra time, first time I believe they ever played extra time in a final. The largest margin for the weekend was only 27 points to Melbourne over Carlton.

Could have had any of 4-5 games in the #1 spot .
#2 is the one that looks well out of place to me , cracking game yes but wouldn't be near my top 10.

Bit suprised a few seem to have the 89 GF overated.
Would have thought if you like your footy it ticks a lot of boxes. Physical , hard , skilled , one of the games greats lighting it up, one team hanging on while the other comes home like a freight train.
Each to their own though

It’s the lack of lead changes which let the 1989 GF down for some. If the Cats hit the front a few times, it would be the perfect game.

Did the 99 prelim between Carlton Essendon feature? If so what number? What about 95 Anzac Day game? Both were a better game then either of the top 2
Just looked it up, the Essendon vs Carlton PF in 99 was number 8 by the look of it. ANZAC Day 95 was number 27. Both better than either number 2, not sure about number 1. Also better than number 4.

It’s the lack of lead changes which let the 1989 GF down for some. If the Cats hit the front a few times, it would be the perfect game.
What are talking about Geelong kicked the first goal ?😁
The round 6 game between the two sides was probably the better game of the two

It was done a couple of times, amazingly. Didn't get it right the first time I guess.

Obviously didn't get it right second time either. Hello Optus Stadium!
Did Subi have the same problem that Football Park had that it was in a bad location, i.e. not central and difficult to get to for a lot of people?

Did Subi have the same problem that Football Park had that it was in a bad location, i.e. not central and difficult to get to for a lot of people?
It's right near the city but the public transport wasn't great, the foot traffic around the venue was congested and there was no parking. The seating left a lot to be desired too.

It's right near the city but the public transport wasn't great, the foot traffic around the venue was congested and there was no parking. The seating left a lot to be desired too.
Football Park had some of those same problems as well, without being close to the city. Also got very cold there as it is close to the ocean and you would get the wind off of there on a cold night.

By the looks of the voting there was a lot of recency bias. The best game I ever saw was mid season game between Geelong and Hawthorn in 89 and another underrated game was the 97 grand final when Jarman put on a show.
Just like politics and everything else in this world when people vote they don’t think far back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 89 H&A game was an outstanding game. Geelong's score was 163 points - still the highest losing score in the history of the comp (and not likely to be toppled). It helped set the tone for the 1989 Grand Final - both sides were capable of piling on goals in a short amount of time. There's been a bit of trend to downplay the 89 Grand Final because Hawthorn were in front for so much of the game but the tone had been set back in rd 6. At no point, did I feel comfortable with the lead.

That 89 H&A game was an outstanding game. Geelong's score was 163 points - still the highest losing score in the history of the comp (and not likely to be toppled). It helped set the tone for the 1989 Grand Final - both sides were capable of piling on goals in a short amount of time. There's been a bit of trend to downplay the 89 Grand Final because Hawthorn were in front for so much of the game but the tone had been set back in rd 6. At no point, did I feel comfortable with the lead.

What people say about that game is certainly true. Hard physical contest. A true war of attrition.

It's those very qualities that make it dated in my opinion.

I've always felt it was a game full of snipers. And the most memorable moments people moments are moments that happen off the ball.

Many of those who hold it up as the holy grail of all football matches use it as an example of to support their views that today's game is "soft".

The game has moved on since then and I don't think it stacks up compared to modern football.

Just my opinion.

What people say about that game is certainly true. Hard physical contest. A true war of attrition.

It's those very qualities that make it dated in my opinion.

I've always felt it was a game full of snipers. And the most memorable moments people moments are moments that happen off the ball.

Many of those who hold it up as the holy grail of all football matches use it as an example of to support their views that today's game is "soft".

The game has moved on since then and I don't think it stacks up compared to modern football.

Just my opinion.

I suppose there is also that small side story of Ablett kicking a GF-record 9 goals to win the Norm Smith in a losing side but yeah whatever hey.......

It’s easily the best game in Fox Footy’s top 5 - even with the lack of lead changes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is also that small side story of Ablett kicking a GF-record 9 goals to win the Norm Smith in a losing side.....

It’s easily the best game in Fox Footy’s top 5 - even with the lack of lead changes.

Yes, that is true 9 goals in a losing GF is a great effort, but that is an overall performance, not a stand out moment that stays in the mind of the footy public.

Compare that to this:

"Leo Barry, you star!"
"Sheed from the boundary"
"the stadium holds its breath......and the western suburbs erupt!"

Yes, that is true 9 goals in a losing GF is a great effort, but that is an overall performance, not a stand out moment that stays in the mind of the footy public.

Compare that to this:

"Leo Barry, you star!"
"Sheed from the boundary"
"the stadium holds its breath......and the western suburbs erupt!"
That is more about the commentary though

That is more about the commentary though

I did that on purpose.

I bet you knew each grand final I was referring to.

That's because those moments are seared into our collective conscious as footy fans.

The 89 GF equivalent is Yeates taking out Brereton at the start of the game and Dipper having his ribs broken.

I just feel that as a sport we have moved beyond that. The inherent violence of 89 make it the spectacle it is on one hand, and it also knocks it down the list.

But saying all that I think North fans wpuld think North wouldve got closer to Haw in 2015 and Pies fans would be annoyed with last years GWS showing.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd like to think that, but it might be a stretch given the Hawks did flog us by 10 goals in our only meeting that year, although that was in round 5 at the start of the year, and we came home strong winning 9 of our last 11 games before the WC final.

Darling dropping that mark in the last minute of 2018, still can’t believe it.

How would you be if Collingwood went up the other end after that and nicked it back

Pretty ******* happy!

Love how they segued from Tony Lockett single handedly beating the Swans in 1994 in front of freaking nobody straight to Lockett leading the Swans to their first GF as Sydney in front of over 41,000 fans, just 2 years later.

We should never forget just how much of the success of the Swans in Sydney is due to Plugger.

Swans' home crowd average per year:
View attachment 854899

Also: how the hell is the 1980 GF one of the 50 best games ever? There must be at least a dozen Collingwood GF losses in the broadcast era more entertaining than that one.

Cause the tigers supporters voted it in

Anyone would have been more worthy host than Port if you think they could have got within 119 points of Geelong.
And yet, they were all below Port in the ladder. I take it being in the GF every single time.

Port could have gotten a closer score, still we didn't. There is no guarantee that another team would be better. It could be even worse. There is no "what if."

Subi was being re-developed.
And I think that WACA game there was some controversy about the siren not being loud enough? Jakovich kicked a goal right on/after the siren but I think the ump didnt hear it so didnt allow tge goal. .. or something

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet, they were all below Port in the ladder. I take it being in the GF every single time.

Port could have gotten a closer score, still we didn't. There is no guarantee that another team would be better. It could be even worse. There is no "what if."
You can thank Essendon's efforts in the final quarter that you were above West Coast on the ladder. You were below them at 3 quarter time of that game in final minor round game the 2007 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back