Game Day Fox Footy 50 / 50

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 round 11 Ess v Hawks is the line in the sand match? Bombers smashed it by like 10 goals, how is that in the top 50 matches? Top 50 brawls yeah but come on

Yep, very average, one-sided game.

The only reason it “lives on” is Dermie talking about it incessantly for nearly 20 years.

The day he made the Hawks boys into men.

They lost by 12 goals and didn’t even play finals until three years later.

After they’d tanked for Buddy and Roughead, and also drafted Lewis and Birchall.

Oh and sacked their coach and brought in a bloke called Clarkson.

But it was a critical moment that turned the club around. Led by Dermie. Just ask him.

What's your beef with it?

One of the best 50 games I've seen. 30-40 seems about right.

There are others in their top 50 that are more questionable.
To be fair the first half was pretty s**t. End of the game was awesome though.

What's your beef with it?

One of the best 50 games I've seen. 30-40 seems about right.

There are others in their top 50 that are more questionable.
Close finishes aren't always good games. That prelim was just an ordinary game

Close finishes aren't always good games. That prelim was just an ordinary game
It was a tough contest, Giants getting 5+ goals clear, then the Pies storming home, the controversy with the Thomas goal even though it was clearly touched, Maine's flukey soccer goal, the ball stuck in the Pies F50 for the last 5 mins with the Giants defending grimly, tense finish..

Second half was awesome.

It was a tough contest, Giants getting 5+ goals clear, then the Pies storming home, the controversy with the Thomas goal even though it was clearly touched, Maine's flukey soccer goal, the ball stuck in the Pies F50 for the last 5 mins with the Giants defending grimly, tense finish..

Second half was awesome.
I think the tough slog that this game was plus the extra game contrubuted to GWS horrible GF performance. They looked out of it from the start.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That West Coast midfield was so freakishly good. Cousins, Kerr, Judd and Chick all tore us apart.

Hird and Lloyd though. Bring them back Essendon!

Kerr has to be an under-rated figure in terms of 'greatst kicks of all-time'. Was a brilliant one in his prime.

Also it's crazy how indundated this box is for 1997. Three play-by-play guys (Sandy, Morphett, KB), a special comments guy (Tim Watson), the "fourth umpire" (Russo), the video analyst (Lethal) and boundary rider (Kerley). That's like 2018 levels of media saturation.

Modra's ACL looks innocous as * in hindsight.

Kerr has to be an under-rated figure in terms of 'greatst kicks of all-time'. Was a brilliant one in his prime.

Also it's crazy how indundated this box is for 1997. Three play-by-play guys (Sandy, Morphett, KB), a special comments guy (Tim Watson), the "fourth umpire" (Russo), the video analyst (Lethal) and boundary rider (Kerley). That's like 2018 levels of media saturation.

Modra's ACL looks innocous as fu** in hindsight.
It was. He was never really the same player after. It also effected his relationship with Blight, as he was gone after 1998. Part of me feels he would have only ever played for the Crows if it didn't happen.

1993 Elimination Final Hawthorn vs Adelaide, considering how big of an underdog we were

2002? Adelaide vs Collingwood, Tarrant kicks the winning goal after the siren.

1998 Semi Final Sydney vs Adelaide, Peter Vardy kicks 6 in the wet

1998 Qualifying final Sydney vs St Kilda, Swans hang on in a thriller. Side Note, those 2 points kept the Crows alive that year, who ended up winning the flag.

None of these games will make, but still great games all the same.

1993 Elimination Final Hawthorn vs Adelaide, considering how big of an underdog we were

2002? Adelaide vs Collingwood, Tarrant kicks the winning goal after the siren.

1998 Semi Final Sydney vs Adelaide, Peter Vardy kicks 6 in the wet

1998 Qualifying final Sydney vs St Kilda, Swans hang on in a thriller. Side Note, those 2 points kept the Crows alive that year, who ended up winning the flag.

None of these games will make, but still great games all the same.
I think it was 03, at Football Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back