Fox footy channel 504 - off season

Remove this Banner Ad

So there's been some old school On the Couch, classic games also.

I noted with interest that today there is "Best game of 2018: AFL Adel vs WC"

I swear last night the "best game" was a different match.

What should the channel do in the off season?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Why wasn't the richmond vs Collingwood prelim shown in the recent run of all teams games? Didn't feature in the richmond games (qualifying final vs hawks was their last) or the Collingwood games ( gws semi was their last). Was looking forward to putting it on fox IQ but it wasn't shown

I'm liking some of the classics they're showing at the moment. They're not just the stock standard 1989 GF, 1984 SA v Vic SOO etc. They had the 1970 GF on earlier today, one of the 1997 SF's (North Melbourne v West Coast), and the 1996 Prelim between Sydney and Essendon the other night. This has been one of the better off seasons for Fox Footy IMO.

Bit more variety this year. This weekend have ha Buddy '13' game and Lockett '1300' game

Yeah, definitely seems a bit more effort in the scheduling than last year.

Flicked on the other day and had Pies v Swans at VP in 1987 on, also seen Roys v Dockers 1996 & North v Eagles 1997 final.

I did have a giggle at Fitzroy v Freo in front of two men and a dog at Whitten Oval being listed as one of the "great games" of the 90s.

Fitzroys last ever win?

Correct - probably more 'historically significant' than a high quality match given Freo weren't much better than Fitzroy on field in their early days. No issue having it appear in the classic matches for the off season IMO.

I wonder if they'll dig out both parts of the the blackout match at Waverley too :D

According to Boof, only 3 games were worthy of being shown. Huss, is showing 4 games on loop - all 4 of West Coast's grand final wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Boof, only 3 games were worthy of being shown. Huss, is showing 4 games on loop - all 4 of West Coast's grand final wins.

I wonder if the like of Boff, Huss etc are actually getting to choose matches or are Fox just doing the 'Oh Boof's a Crows supporter, we'll show 3 classic Crows matches today and put his name alongside them.'

Did anyone watch the 1997 doco on the Crows?

The obviously fake radio jock spots supposedly from 1991, 1992, 1994 and 1997 that were shoe-horned into the show were hilarious. I'm sure it was Tom Morris and I guarantee he thought it was some of his best work.

"Oooh, the whole of South Australia is gearing up for this game, it'll be a ripper"

Interestingly it's a C7 feed they're using for the game - C7 feeds would be like hens teeth!
Certainly rare! It's interesting that it was a C7 feed, considering it was on Optus at the time not Foxtel. I'm surprised that this sort of thing would be in the Fox archives, perhaps the AFL are providing more archival content this year to Fox, which may explain the more diverse range of matches shown. Was it this match here? Uploaded by Costa Sports on YouTube.

Certainly rare! It's interesting that it was a C7 feed, considering it was on Optus at the time not Foxtel. I'm surprised that this sort of thing would be in the Fox archives, perhaps the AFL are providing more archival content this year to Fox, which may explain the more diverse range of matches shown. Was it this match here? Uploaded by Costa Sports on YouTube.

Yep that's the one. From memory it was only selected matches involving two Victorian teams that got C7 graphics, and only if there were two other games on. The vast majority of matches in this situation got the budget graphics. No idea what the criteria was that resulted in some matches getting C7 and others getting budget (besides anything involving non-Victorian teams definitely getting budget graphics).

Now showing Richmond V Fremantle from round 4 2000. I think it's Kevin Bartlett and Paul Couch commentating for Seven.
Amazing how outdated Docklands Stadium looked early on with the old style sponsor signage and the horrible looking surface!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back