Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just starting to think about whether to resub to Foxtel's sports package or give Kayo a go in 2019.

The alternative is just to watch games via commercial TV as I did last year.

Foxtel: retail price $30 / month, includes cycling

Kayo: $25 a month (2 devices), can be used on multiple TV's, devices

Ch7: cheap, Port only, even some port games not shown live

Interested in what others see as the pro's and con's of each option.

Personally I only watch Port games and don't bet or play fantasy footy.
I am happy to watch games on either a TV or a PC.
While $30/month is affordable the Scottish blood in me says don't spend it.
I go to all home games.

I'm happy for non-Port people to comment in this thread but please be civil.

Not sure I've seen Foxtel for $30?

In any case, it's Kayo for me. It's what I have always wanted - a dedicated sports only package. I've loved being able to flick through and catch up on some basketball straight after watching the Big Bash each night. All through my phone while Chromecasting to the TV. I'm amazed at the quality of the stream as well, far better than any FTA HD channels. Pretty much on par with the Foxtel HD, I think it even looks better sometimes. The colours seem to pop out more. I get notifications whenever my teams are about to start as well.

What's even better, you can split it with a mate or family and it'll work out at $12.50 a month. That's amazing value. And the amount of different ways you can watch it - phone, tablet, laptop/pc, chromecast, Apple/Telstra TV, bringing out Android TV app soon hopefully.

Being a new product, there's still a few little teething issues, but they will get sorted out. One minor gripe is the layout of Kayo, it does get hard to find some stuff. I've been onto customer support and they are implementing search functions, watch later play lists and hopefully a decent episode guide later down the track.

Can't wait for the footy season to start.

Foxtel offers all AFL games live*, plus recording on the IQ recorder (the recorder costs extra). It also offers the various media stuff like Open Mike, AFL 360, and Back Page which are worthy programs in their own right. Various other sport e.g. cricket in the off-season. We have no trouble justifying price v content offered.
* ad free during games, not counting the breaks.

Kayo seems to offer a similar product with the games alone and a similar price so IMO Foxtel is ahead with the extra media stuff. But given a lot of Open Mike, AFL 360 appears on YouTube pretty quickly that's not a huge differentiation

Free to air is not an option unless you can't afford the other two, or are like my super-pedantic mate who refuses to ever pay for anything online/streamed.

Foxtel offers all AFL games live*, plus recording on the IQ recorder (the recorder costs extra). It also offers the various media stuff like Open Mike, AFL 360, and Back Page which are worthy programs in their own right. Various other sport e.g. cricket in the off-season. We have no trouble justifying price v content offered.
* ad free during games, not counting the breaks.

Kayo seems to offer a similar product with the games alone and a similar price so IMO Foxtel is ahead with the extra media stuff. But given a lot of Open Mike, AFL 360 appears on YouTube pretty quickly that's not a huge differentiation

Free to air is not an option unless you can't afford the other two, or are like my super-pedantic mate who refuses to ever pay for anything online/streamed.
AFL 360 etc will be on Kayo as well. Live and on demand.

Foxtel isn’t 30/month. It’s way more expensive because of the regular s**t, I think it adds up to nearly 80 or so. I strongly advocate for Kayo, great price and for footy it’s just as good. I have the replays for all 2018 games on there which I’m not sure is possible for Foxtel. Kayo is what we’ve all been crying out for, I say go for it.

Kayo is the ****. Dumped Foxtel a month ago and haven't looked back while saving myself a motza.

Additionally as others have said you won't get Sports with Foxtel for 30 alone. You have to pay for their basic pack in addition to sports. It'll be around $60 a month as a starting price, and sports are not even in HD unless you shell out $10 more. You're looking at $70 a month if you want that.

Kayo is $25 a month and has MORE features than Foxtel with regards to sport, and it's HD. No brainer.

Kayo at this stage. Working pretty well for the cricket and I'd actually say it appears slightly better quality than 7HD.

They need some more apps though and have said smart TV and console apps are coming in 2019, so hopefully before the AFL season.

Anyone know if we'll get proper Fox Footy coverage on Kayo or if it'll be like Foxtel Now with Footy Play (or whatever it's called) using the 7 feed with ads for their games? The assumption is it would be the same, but Kayo appears to have the proper Fox Footy channel, so here's hoping it's different.

Going to give Kayo a go myself.

Just have to remember to go and buy a chromecast device to use on our new 55in TV.

speaking of CC for those who already Kayo, which CC works best with Kayo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kayo is literally just Foxtel with a different looking hat on.

latest

I'll give Kayo a go when footy season starts as for Foxtel nah never again talk about pissing money away on 90% garbage content I'd rather watch a potato stream on a laptop.

I'm on a reasonable Foxtel deal ATM ($39/month for Sport in HD) which I got when I rang up to cancel about 8 months ago. It's normally $69/month and in theory will revert back to this in 4 months time. At that point I'm planning to switch to Kayo. I expect they'll offer me another sweetheart Foxtel deal and I'll choose which way I want to go then - probably Kayo particularly if they have the PS4 app out as I tend to stream everything that way.

If you're with Telstra on a mobile plan you normally get the AFL Live Pass for free so that may be another option.

In regards to the OP, I have no idea, but Stan has Deep Throat so I’m going with them.

The best thing about the streaming revolution is no contracts and no loyalty. Just switch it up whenever you want. Want to binge something on Stan? Do that for a month. Switch back to Netflix after or whatever.

Foxtel (the service, not the business) in it's current form is ****ed.

Last edited:
What’s the quality for Kayo? Is it 1080p or 720p? Does it work with Apple TV? Or do you need Chromecast? Do they have an app you can d/l on the PS4?

Back