• Kayo

Votes: 45 44.1%
  • Channel 7

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I rang foxtel to cancel and then to sign up with Kayo. They reduced my deal to $33.50 per month for base,sports and HD. Can suspend account at any time for up to 12 months at no cost. So obviously the price goes up at end of deal so I will just ring to cancel (again) and get offered same deal or better. I'm not on NBN yet and my adsl is crap so this is best for me. Happy days.

Cancelled my fox two days ago, disconnected yesterday, tried streaming ESS v Carl and foot stream was average at best. Suggested my Chromecast was too old, even though it was new! Anyhow life goes on, only TV

I streamed Carl v Ess on kayo last night running on an optus 4g wireless home internet.

Not one bit of buffering, not glitchy transitions of video, all no a 75inch TV (which is stretching the picture quite a bit). BTW streamed using Google Chromecast (not ultra) but 3rd generation.

So far its a thumbs up from me for Kayo, and at $25.00/month ($5.80) per week its an abolsute steal. Will prob also disconnect during footy off-season too so even more savings. Can't fathom costs of foxtel.

You can now download the app from Google Play on your Smart TV if you are operating 7.1 or above.

My TV said my current version was 7.0 but it still worked fine.

My streaming quality was poor, but I'd say that would be due to my internet connection. I'll need to update that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here's a post I made on the main AFL forum Kayo thread, hopefully it can be of some use to any of you -

For the moment if you are using a laptop hooked up to the TV via HDMI and want to control it, earlier on in this thread someone pointed me in the direction of a phone app which you can use as a mouse to control your computer/laptop.

There's a few different apps out there, I'm using Remote Mouse on an Android phone. Just have to download the app on your phone, the app on your laptop and then make sure they are connected to the same wifi network. Works awesome and saves getting up every time you want to pause it or whatever.

I've been using Kayo with Chromecast for a while now for the European football and the occasional NBA game. Works great for me, it worked well for the Essendon/Carlton game for me. I've had no issues at all. Well worth the investment.

Tested Kayo for the 1st time last night for Carlton v Essendon, via Telstra TV wifi - on a 65" screen.. Initially looked abit hazy/not crisp especially when camera is panned out but the stream adjusted itself within 10 seconds and it was faultless from there.

I didn't experience any buffering and the image was sharp, definitely exceeded my expectation :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was pretty decent. Only 1 or 2 buffering issues using the HDMI cable, but that resolved by itself immediately.

Considering the audience was up 30% from previous seasons I'm happy with it so far.

Is it possible to receive High Def streaming without NBN connection speeds?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
would depend on your internet speed

3.5gb / hour is what is mentioned as the amount of data per hour for HD which is roughly the max speed of an 8mbit connection so if you get more than that on ADSL 2 then you should be ok

I dont have NBN or Kayo yet but i do have a 20mbit ADSL2+ connection and i can stream Foxtel in Full HD with no issues at all (Foxtel Go)

For the moment if you are using a laptop hooked up to the TV via HDMI and want to control it, earlier on in this thread someone pointed me in the direction of a phone app which you can use as a mouse to control your computer/laptop.

There's a few different apps out there, I'm using Remote Mouse on an Android phone. Just have to download the app on your phone, the app on your laptop and then make sure they are connected to the same wifi network. Works awesome and saves getting up every time you want to pause it or whatever.
Good tip, certainly making my laptop into TV easier to control (especially since it's an old laptop not used for anything else).

That'll do until Kayo eventually release a Samsung TV or console app -- Samsung/Sony smartTV and Xbox/PlayStation are apparently both "on the radar", but with how long it took them to get the AndroidTV app out, it won't surprise me if we don't get them until late into the AFL season.

Kayo really need to get on more devices ASAP to be successful with a wider market. Netflix is a button on a lot of people's TV remote, and while Kayo is unlikely to get that level of integration, it needs to be a simple, easily accessible app on the major TV brands to appeal to the less tech savvy masses. Anything else is too hard for that market. Then there are people like me with heaps of ways to play content already. I have 3 devices plugged into my TV that can play all of Netflix, Stan, YouTube and Amazon. I'm not adding another one (Chromecast) just for Kayo, and while it'll do for now, I shouldn't need to mess about with a laptop over HDMI.

I have a 2018 Sony Bravia tv, downloaded the Kayo app from the play store last night. Watched a heap of tennis this afternoon - couldn't fault the stream on 65" display. Thought the JLT match last night suffered a bit of motion blur which I didn't get watching tennis.

I have a 2018 Sony Bravia tv, downloaded the Kayo app from the play store last night. Watched a heap of tennis this afternoon - couldn't fault the stream on 65" display. Thought the JLT match last night suffered a bit of motion blur which I didn't get watching tennis.
Having another crack with Kayo now the android tv app is available & it's JLT time, I agree it has motion issues with some stuff and doesn't always seem HD to me.. anything is better than potato streaming or signing up with fuxtel though.

So I signed up this morning just to see how it works.

The phone app is ok, although it isn't the most perfect interface, it's pretty good. Maybe too much information at once.

Secondly, I attempted to watch the replay of wce and Geelong. Good quality image, etc but I suspect that when watching a live game is when any picture quality and buffering would occur.

If you have a Google home hub (the one with a screen) you can cast to that in the same way you would a Chromecast. Neat, if not necessarily something I'd do (except say to watch footy while cooking)

And lastly, as the tv isn't smart enough and my Chromecast is the wrong generation, I grabbed my daughter's discarded school Chromebook and HDMI straight into the tv.

Hunky Dory.

Now to see if the live streaming is any different this afternoon.

So I signed up this morning just to see how it works.

The phone app is ok, although it isn't the most perfect interface, it's pretty good. Maybe too much information at once.

Secondly, I attempted to watch the replay of wce and Geelong. Good quality image, etc but I suspect that when watching a live game is when any picture quality and buffering would occur.

If you have a Google home hub (the one with a screen) you can cast to that in the same way you would a Chromecast. Neat, if not necessarily something I'd do (except say to watch footy while cooking)

And lastly, as the tv isn't smart enough and my Chromecast is the wrong generation, I grabbed my daughter's discarded school Chromebook and HDMI straight into the tv.

Hunky Dory.

Now to see if the live streaming is any different this afternoon.
Live streaming from my experience is flawless

I have a very nice internet connection speed though, other have complained when they have an average connection. I reckon if you have a decent connection, you will be impressed.

Live streaming from my experience is flawless

I have a very nice internet connection speed though, other have complained when they have an average connection. I reckon if you have a decent connection, you will be impressed.
We are on a 25 NBN plan but it's at usually between 12-18 so should be good

Unless my son is playing GTA Online or fortnight at the same time as my wife and daughter stream Netflix I guess.

We are on a 25 NBN plan but it's at usually between 12-18 so should be good

Unless my son is playing GTA Online or fortnight at the same time as my wife and daughter stream Netflix I guess.
Reckon you should be fine, regardless of what other devices are using your bandwidth. Kayo has the ability to select the quality: auto, SD or HD. In the setting it says HD need 6mbps. It also says the stream is 720p which is a little annoying as we expect 1080p when talking HD, however, if you didn't know this then you wouldn't notice. The stream is good

Back