Bumped Fox 'Open Mike' latest: Denis Banks tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah am surprised he wasn't mentioned last night in that story.

I watched Eddie's Open Mike last night, it is mentioned there. After Collingwood lost it's round 22 clash with Geelong which ended their season, Banks, Millane and McGuire had a celebrity bartender gig at the Tunnel nightclub. None other than Leigh Matthews dropped them off there.

McGuire rocked up to work the next day early and heard the news. He couldn't believe it, he said I was with them until 4am! Yeah it happened at 4.30am he was told lol.

McGuire actually blames the incident for Millane's death... said the bad headlines shattered him and he thought he blew his chance at the captaincy.

Surely you have some sense of humour?! I mistook you for me a much more broad minded poster than it seems you are. Markfs' humorous tale in no way diminishes Gavin Brown's character. Get a life.

I have a pretty awesome life thank you. :)

The "humorous tale" I read attempts to put a comical spin on a former club captain, and associates him with stained underwear (or the removal of those stains). It's not even good slapstick. Let's agree to disagree.

I considered you to be a more respectful poster than it seems you are.

Last edited:
Great interview.

I was hoping Mike would ask Banksy about his nightclub "altercation" with Anthony Rock back in 1991 still they covered some fascinating ground.

The urban legend in regards to the bus hijacking was that an up and coming reporter was with Banksy & Pants at the time.

The boys told him to leave the scene so that he wouldn't get into trouble and jeopardize his career.

See if you can pick who that reporter was V P?

His initials are E M...

Haven't heard about that. What happened?
They had a dust up at a night club and Banksy punched seven bells out of him. Rock was photographed at training with bark missing everywhere, Rock as a young bloke (I don't know what he's like now) had a reputation as a "mouth" and he clearly mouthed off at the wrong person in Denis Banks.

I watched Eddie's Open Mike last night, it is mentioned there. After Collingwood lost it's round 22 clash with Geelong which ended their season, Banks, Millane and McGuire had a celebrity bartender gig at the Tunnel nightclub. None other than Leigh Matthews dropped them off there.

McGuire rocked up to work the next day early and heard the news. He couldn't believe it, he said I was with them until 4am! Yeah it happened at 4.30am he was told lol.

McGuire actually blames the incident for Millane's death... said the bad headlines shattered him and he thought he blew his chance at the captaincy.

I vaguely remember that Open Mike too - might have to rewatch it at some point, cheers.

They had a dust up at a night club and Banksy punched seven bells out of him. Rock was photographed at training with bark missing everywhere, Rock as a young bloke (I don't know what he's like now) had a reputation as a "mouth" and he clearly mouthed off at the wrong person in Denis Banks.

Haha - I am not surprised by that. Banksy was far bigger than Rock and mad as hell.

My first game of football......very hard to forget that punch........cried on the tram home because we lost to the baggers that day.

Many years later he had his 50th birthday at my restaurant in the private room.

Very late night and heard some great stories. He could drink that is for sure.

Magnificent Collingwood Man.......when is see him I think of Pants :'(
Pants on or pants off?
:D

I have a pretty awesome life thank you. :)

The "humorous tale" I read attempts to put a comical spin on a former club captain, and associates him with stained underwear (or the removal of those stains). It's not even good slapstick. Let's agree to disagree.

I considered you to be a more respectful poster than it seems you are.
I have the utmost respect for Dennis Banks, even more so after watching the interview. He was always a bit of a larrikin and the fact he was best mates with Millane says it all - I even have an old Dennis Banks badge. However I still appreciated the underwear post and don't think him the type to be offended by it.

I have the utmost respect for Dennis Banks, even more so after watching the interview. He was always a bit of a larrikin and the fact he was best mates with Millane says it all - I even have an old Dennis Banks badge. However I still appreciated the underwear post and don't think him the type to be offended by it.

Hey TGG, not that it makes a big difference but MarkFS's post was about Gavin Brown. :) I was a little surprised you responded to my post because it was made ages ago (check the date). The first few pages of this thread are about Brownie. Anyway, peace mate.

Banksy could go. And as skinny as he was, he went like a cut cat. The beauty of Banks as a player was in the late 80s he was on the periphery of the team and then he reinvented himself and found a niche in that 1990 side. He was hard at it was Banksy. And I still reckon a mark he took at VIC park against Geelong in about 1984 when he launched and pretty much was horizontal across a number of players heads and took the mark was one of the best I've ever seen.

GG it somewhat surprises me that you would be an appreciator of skid mark based humor let alone an ardent defender of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey TGG, not that it makes a big difference but MarkFS's post was about Gavin Brown. :) I was a little surprised you responded to my post because it was made ages ago (check the date). The first few pages of this thread are about Brownie. Anyway, peace mate.
Hey my friend, no offence intended. I am a bit of a Markfs fan so probably give him more leeway than most. I did originally post knowing it was about Brown but forgot in my last post. I loved both players for similar reasons - courage. I am not a skid mark joke fan doodles. I just like Markfs' humour. Anyway, peace and good fortune comrades in conflict!

Banks, Brown and Millane would have to be 3 of the toughest bastards you could come across. From that premiership side you could also add Shaw, Monkhorst, Kelly, McGuane, Francis, Gayfer as pretty genuine hard nuts themselves.

They don't breed them like that anymore...

Ryan Lonie says hi. :) I'd have him best 22 in our current side btw.

I remember Doug Barwick and Christian as guys you wouldn't push around too much either. That side had presence.

Gary Pert's 1st game for the Pies was at Vic Park. At the start of the game he flew for a mark instead of attempting to spoil. He actually held the mark but I remember Kelly and Christian letting him know that wasn't how they rolled in defense. We could use that toughness now. Sometimes it seems like we're fielding a Colts side.

Last edited:
Banks, Brown and Millane would have to be 3 of the toughest bastards you could come across. From that premiership side you could also add Shaw, Monkhorst, Kelly, McGuane, Francis, Gayfer as pretty genuine hard nuts themselves.

Would love some of that hardness in our current team.

There'd be a lot of suspensions though.

I could be be wrong but I don't remember Millane getting suspended!

Like jathanas said above they had presence on the field...........especially Millane.

I still remember Anderson (Essendon) would stand a couple metres away from him out of fear :D

Doug Barwick, Manson and Ronnie Mckeown were likely types too.

Hey my friend, no offence intended. I am a bit of a Markfs fan so probably give him more leeway than most. I did originally post knowing it was about Brown but forgot in my last post. I loved both players for similar reasons - courage. I am not a skid mark joke fan doodles. I just like Markfs' humour. Anyway, peace and good fortune comrades in conflict!
I was just stirring GG. Just found it funny to read two posters getting a bit heated about the merits of skid mark humor. Sometimes I just love reading the strange side roads we go down in these forums.

Shane Kerrison was a tough little nut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back