Foxtel Cup 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Port are sending their seconds side to Darwin!What a joke .Deserve to get done.

Foxtel Cup - Final Score

NT Thunder 7.7.49
Port Melbourne 21.10.136

Crowd attendance: Approx. 300-400

Port Melbourne will play South Adelaide in the quarter finals.
Venue TBC, but most likely the MCG.

Shows the difference between the major leagues and the not so major leagues.

Absolutely.. I played in the match, and while we had some key players out (ilett, Vassel, roe, tapp and farrer), port obviously had even more out than us. Was a huge lift in intensity compared to neafl; their spread, skills, structures & overall fitness levels made us look second rate, particularly in the last 3 quarters (level at qtr time).

Certainly not the end of the world for us, just a real eye opener to the level we should aspire to get to, all credit to them they were very professional & the heat/travel factors seemed very minimal.

Anyone know how Tristan Francis has been going this year for port..?

Absolutely.. I played in the match, and while we had some key players out (ilett, Vassel, roe, tapp and farrer), port obviously had even more out than us. Was a huge lift in intensity compared to neafl; their spread, skills, structures & overall fitness levels made us look second rate, particularly in the last 3 quarters (level at qtr time).

Certainly not the end of the world for us, just a real eye opener to the level we should aspire to get to, all credit to them they were very professional & the heat/travel factors seemed very minimal.

Anyone know how Tristan Francis has been going this year for port..?

The difference in standard between VFL & other lesser leagues comes about through the differences in population & funding. Port Melb for instance spend as much on their team as the 10 TSL clubs down here put together. Tassie clubs dont have Pokies & only get a small amount of AFL money for club & zone development. A couple of clubs seem to get a bit extra for some reason (a look at the ladder & who has recruited well will tell you who)
Other VFL teams are heavily supported by their AFL masters & wouldnt exist without it, or without Pokies money.
If AFL money was spread more evenly to state league clubs, then the Foxtel cup might be a bit more of an even competition to watch. As it is, its a waste of time.

Shows the difference between the major leagues and the not so major leagues.

Obviously there is a big gap between VFL and NEAFL, but a bit of perspective, Port have won 28 of 29 in the VFL and given some VFL teams a hiding. Won by 140 odd about 3 weeks ago. Sure they rested 7-8 but they still had 15-16 regulars in the team. The guys that came in are still very good footy players who have finally got their chance in the seniors.

The Thunder also rested 7-8 of their best players and filled up with local kids. Not seasoned VFL reserves players. The team that the Thunder put out (embarrassingly and wrongly for that matter) would not have got within 10 goals of other top NEAFL teams.

Yeah, I was surprised how easy Port Melbourne did it, although if the Thunder weren't full strength then I could understand it. After they nearly knocked off East Perth last year I expected a little better.

Interesting that the 2 NEAFL teams left are currently sitting last and 2nd last in the Northern conference. Shame they're probably going to get fustigated in the next round. A full strength top NEAFL team could give a team from one of the big 3 leagues a scare, like NT did last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's all the posters that bagged the SA sides for not entering or putting in weak sides now :rolleyes:

Been considering this question for a bit.
Nice attempt at a troll I guess.

People complained about the top SANFL sides not joining and the ones that did being lower sides and not always taking it seriously anyway (eg: Claremont vs Wests recently).

These were fair complaints as those interested in the comp want to see the best that SA state level footy has to offer.

So South Adelaide come out and win a game they weren't tipped to win, good on them. It's what people want to see, ergo, no complaints.

So you want to know where all those who were complaining are? Sitting here quite happy in the knowledge that there is at least one side in the comp from SA that his having a go.

Yeah, I was surprised how easy Port Melbourne did it, although if the Thunder weren't full strength then I could understand it. After they nearly knocked off East Perth last year I expected a little better.

Interesting that the 2 NEAFL teams left are currently sitting last and 2nd last in the Northern conference. Shame they're probably going to get fustigated in the next round. A full strength top NEAFL team could give a team from one of the big 3 leagues a scare, like NT did last year.

Agree totally, NEAFL northern (old qafl comp) is very underrated. Evident by mt gravatt/morningside sitting bottom.

QLD state side only lost by 5 points to WAFL in Mandurah last year.

Agree totally, NEAFL northern (old qafl comp) is very underrated. Evident by mt gravatt/morningside sitting bottom.

QLD state side only lost by 5 points to WAFL in Mandurah last year.

I was at the game.

Whilst QLD did very well, WA buggerised around in the last quarter.

I was at the game.

Whilst QLD did very well, WA buggerised around in the last quarter.

Yeah that's true, but it was a huge improvement on the 100+ losses in the past.

Also interesting to see that the NEAFL Northern beat Eastern by 25 goals yesterday. There's clearly a large gap between the 2. Queensland probably deserved to play Victoria yesterday ahead of Tasmania. They would have got smashed, but it might have been a little more competitive than than the 20 goal to 3 shellacking that Vic v Tas was.

Yeah that's true, but it was a huge improvement on the 100+ losses in the past.

Also interesting to see that the NEAFL Northern beat Eastern by 25 goals yesterday. There's clearly a large gap between the 2. Queensland probably deserved to play Victoria yesterday ahead of Tasmania. They would have got smashed, but it might have been a little more competitive than than the 20 goal to 3 shellacking that Vic v Tas was.

Queensland beat Tassie two years ago.

Port should win tomorrows game by 200 if they put close to their best team on the park.Anyone got any idea what team they will choose?Who should TV spectators look out for as will prob watch the 1st half from my Gold Coast lounge room?

Port should win tomorrows game by 200 if they put close to their best team on the park.Anyone got any idea what team they will choose?Who should TV spectators look out for as will prob watch the 1st half from my Gold Coast lounge room?
One interesting in for Port will be Steven Salopek, who has just been cleared from Glenelg to play for the Magpies. Tomorrow will be Salopek's first game as a Port Magpie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back