FOXTEL Football Broadcast Thread PART2

Remove this Banner Ad

This is to Rhett Bartlett or any other FOX Footy exec reading.

On Saturday nights 504 have a live game and then replay the other Saturday night game that is shown live on 501 straight after that.

So far everything is fine. Excellent.

But it is so annoying when Eddie McGuire gives us the running scores of the other game. Why does he do this? It spoils the game for us viewers who want to watch it next "as live".

If people want a score of the other game all they have to do is switch over to 501 and get a score. So why ruin the upcoming game for fans who want to watch both in full consecutively on 504.

For the life of me i can't understand why Fox does this when they are supplying the commentary for the 7.30 game on 504.

In short, stop Eddie McGuire giving the score for the game that is coming up straight after his game on 504.

This has happened all 3 weeks so far.

We want to watch the games "as live" on 504.

Hope you understand what i'm saying here. I could understand if it was a competitor giving the scores away at the other game, but not your own commentators.

Baffling and bloody stupid.

Hi Terry
I understand your frustration mate.
I was watching at the time as well
In my opinion, I think the commentator was about to say 'If you don't want to know the score look away' but the graphic came up a few seconds earlier, so it was redundant of him to say that.

But thanks for taking the time to voice your concern.

- Rhett

Now that we have all games live... why would people want to live under a mushroom in regards to scores at other grounds..

+1.

I actually think this is the point of why Fox are doing what they're doing. I get that it spoils it for people who want to watch the other game on replay, but given that every game is live on Fox, by giving the scores to the other game they're saying "hey don't forget this is on on our other channel, and look at the score". If it's close you might want to switch to the other game, if it's not close you'll most likely stay with the game you've been watching.

With all games broadcast live, keeping the scores around the grounds secret is kind of redundant now. It was far more relevant when watching the other game live just wasn't an option.

My advice would be to go make a cuppa during half-time and in the post-game wrap, which is pretty much the only time they do it and the score has any meaning.

Hi Terry
I understand your frustration mate.
I was watching at the time as well
In my opinion, I think the commentator was about to say 'If you don't want to know the score look away' but the graphic came up a few seconds earlier, so it was redundant of him to say that.

But thanks for taking the time to voice your concern.

- Rhett

Thx for the reply Rhett.

I won't harp on about this after i make this last comment,,,

...it just doesn't make any sense at all to mention the other Saturday night game during the 504 broadcast , because it is on the 501 channel at the same time.

Anybody who wants to know that score can just use the remote whenever he wants.

It just makes ZERO sense.

Re: FOXTEL Football Broadcast Thread

Hooking up Foxtel at the end of April - a bit late I know but yeah, only just decided to get it.

What shows are generally seen as pretty good to watch? I always liked watching On the Couch, if only even for Mike Sheehan's comments, and AFL 360 was pretty good I felt, the rare times I got to watch them on my girlfriend's parents TV last year.

Anyway, what's some good TV? Clearly that one with Eddie will be dreck.

Pretty much only 360 and On the Couch are worth watching

AFL insider is great for tactics, but i've only ever see them talk about big name clubs
Dermott makes league teams un-watchable. Much prefer the game plan on One
After the Bounce is an acquired taste (not really about footy)
Eddie McGuire tonight isnt too bad, but its a bit hit and miss. Negative Collingwood stories are ignored
Open Mike is good if the guest is decent

Foxfooty really need a Saturday night show like the 5th Quarter

AFL 360 is great, although I find the player and current coaches eps to be too orientated towards the clubs they represent.

On the couch is right up there for a serious discussion on things footy.

League teams is my current preferred thursday night show, but it competes with Marngrook (ABC), The Footy Show (Seven) and the Game Plan (one). (it still strikes me as ironic that everyone except the AFL broadcaster has a footy show)

AFL Insider is a case of it all being laughs until someone mentions hawthorn, it may take some warming to.

Open Mike has its moments guest pending.

EMT is bloody boring unless the guest is someone you want to watch.

After the bounce is a light look at the footy and lots of tomfoolery. I dont mind it, but it appears to be an acquired taste.

happy_eagle, thanks for your comments there mate.
Personally, I agree with you on the Saturday night review show - especially considering there are 4-5 matches on for that Saturday.

The _Wookie - thanks for the post.
Out of interest, who would you like to see on Open Mike?

- Rhett

Saturday night review with Sarah Jones would work quite well I think....

But if you put a review show on, what would all the people who want to watch a replay of the other game do? :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike's interviews are great, but very Vic-centric.

Some players from interstate would be good, although I'm guessing Mike wouldn't be completely across their careers as he is for someone like Brereton.

From a WA perspective, talking to Barry Cable or Graham Moss would be great, getting them to talk up the differences between the WAFL and the VFL, what it took to succeed in both to the levels that they did, their coaching styles and more.

From SA, Blight would be an obvious choice, but someone like Barrie Robran would be a great interview.

Personally, I agree with you on the Saturday night review show - especially considering there are 4-5 matches on for that Saturday.

- Rhett

As a carlton man, i demand more carlton people lol cant remember the last time mike interviewed someone from the navy blue.

And if you do a review show for gods sake dont let dwayne russell anywhere near it.

Saturday night review with Sarah Jones would work quite well I think....

But if you put a review show on, what would all the people who want to watch a replay of the other game do? :eek:

Sky Sports in the UK has viewers choice extended highlights (around half an hour) at 10:30 on Saturday and Sunday. And then on the main screen they just show shortened highlights.

Could work well I reckon.

After 3 weeks silence, the AFL made a comment today regarding the Foxtel HD issue to say that the AFL "acknowledges we are aware of the issues and working with Foxtel and Channel 7 to rectify" – https://twitter.com/#!/AFL/statuses/193131471739961344

Here's a blog post here which summarises the issues: http://josh.tw/GWLh21

Some people say they can't see the difference between SD, upscaled SD and true HD.

I found this video on YouTube which makes it completely obvious the visual differences between the three:

http://youtu.be/5TzQBKohiYM

- Rhett

Matthew Knights.

Massive kudos for offering Foxtel on the 360. As someone who doesn't have access to regular Foxtel and and none of the 7 channels work (all the others are crystal clear.. dafuq?!?!) this is a lifesaver and very affordable. Quality can't be compared to regular foxtel but I was surprised at how good it looks. Very happy customer!

Massive kudos for offering Foxtel on the 360. As someone who doesn't have access to regular Foxtel and and none of the 7 channels work (all the others are crystal clear.. dafuq?!?!) this is a lifesaver and very affordable. Quality can't be compared to regular foxtel but I was surprised at how good it looks. Very happy customer!

Oh Riders. ;):p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back