Foxtel - how atrocious has it become year after year?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's really dumb, I'm now going to dump movies so it will be 64 a month plus they have the admin of new account setup+ the install which is included in the deal. Oh and the box needs to be sent back

It's mind boggling that they think they have a monopoly on movies considering their content isn't great and if I desperately want a movie that isn't on Netflix or any other streaming services, I can always hire off YouTube which is cheaper than hiring off foxtel.

Tell them the primary person who watched it has died.

When my dad died earlier this year, I called up to cancel. The bird said she can suspend the service for 12 months at no cost and I said to be honest, my dad died and he was the only one who watched it. She said no problem, I can cancel it for you.

I'm all good mate, I've been out for a while. I just meant that cancelling requires you to call up which you then have to wait for ages as a pose to most other services which allow you to cancel online. Foxtel are scum like that. Regardless of that I still like to come on here and take pot shots at them.

... especially with vegies:

View attachment 1035845
And Hams
SteamedHamss.png

So Aust Post won’t take Box returns due to Covid19 and the closest Parcel Point is 2 hours round drive. So after SMS tennis they have put a note on my account that I cannot return at the moment.

Pretty hopeless for Regional customers.

I am tipping a $300 fine by the end of August.
I cancelled my Foxtel early 2018 and forgot to send my IQ3 back, never got a fine, no one called me about it, its sitting under the TV (not connected tho) lol.

Cancelled back in December - they didn't even offer a better deal - was only really watching it for the races which you can get on FTA or the TAB app these days. I reckon they will be dead inside 5 years

When I moved back to Vic late 2017, I signed up with them as my ISP and with the full platinum tv package, $154 per month, cheap as chips, where do I sign?

I had that for 2 years and then a year ago the price went up to $174 for the same, locked for 12 months. They sent me an email a month ago to remind me my 12 months is almost up. I rang them up and I asked them what if any new deals they had to keep me, none was the reply, I can stay on my current deal for 3 months and then it will increase to $204, I said nup, how much for NBN, Foxtel+ and Favourites, $145, nup, poor value, disconnect me please.

They said they'd disconnect me on 26.01.2021 and of course I got up this morning and it had already been shut off. So they didn't try and charge me $300 for the equipment, I sent the bits and pieces back this arvo.

Half an hour after I got home from the post office, I get a phone call, it's Foxtel asking if we could do a good deal, would I be interested in reconnecting? Maybe, depends how good the deal is.

NBN - half price for the next 6 months and upgraded to a higher speed. $37.50 per month, unlimited.

Foxtel+ and Favourites at $39 per month if I lock in for 12 months.

$76.50 for 6 months
$114 for the other 6
HD thrown in
new IQ4 box

Done deal.

If they don't offer it up again next year I'll just disconnect again.

They are fair dinkum morons - they have supposedly booked in 3 times for a courier to pick up our box since we disconnected and they have never shown. Then they ring us up asking where the box is.

I called up and cancelled the service on Dec 27, disconnection happened on Jan 5 as I was paid up until then

They only asked what could they do to keep me. No offers, no extra channels... nothing

Foxtel is no longer relevant - content is average, too many repeats, way too many ads

When I moved back to Vic late 2017, I signed up with them as my ISP and with the full platinum tv package, $154 per month, cheap as chips, where do I sign?

I had that for 2 years and then a year ago the price went up to $174 for the same, locked for 12 months. They sent me an email a month ago to remind me my 12 months is almost up. I rang them up and I asked them what if any new deals they had to keep me, none was the reply, I can stay on my current deal for 3 months and then it will increase to $204, I said nup, how much for NBN, Foxtel+ and Favourites, $145, nup, poor value, disconnect me please.

They said they'd disconnect me on 26.01.2021 and of course I got up this morning and it had already been shut off. So they didn't try and charge me $300 for the equipment, I sent the bits and pieces back this arvo.

Half an hour after I got home from the post office, I get a phone call, it's Foxtel asking if we could do a good deal, would I be interested in reconnecting? Maybe, depends how good the deal is.

NBN - half price for the next 6 months and upgraded to a higher speed. $37.50 per month, unlimited.

Foxtel+ and Favourites at $39 per month if I lock in for 12 months.

$76.50 for 6 months
$114 for the other 6
HD thrown in
new IQ4 box

Done deal.

If they don't offer it up again next year I'll just disconnect again.
At a guess I reckon I would paying a little over that to have Telstra NBN with 45 mbps download average with Kayo, Netflix, Stan and Binge. I really should do the Math on it.

Edit- 52 mbps

Ive just got 3 months of Binge for free
Quite a lot of what I watch is on FTA or FTA catchup
I just caught the last bit of Big Bang (which I think is still on catch up for free???)
Fargo is free on catch up too
I might need to watch the wire, Walking dead last few seasons, sopranos (again) and GOT before it runs out and I cancel it.

At a guess I reckon I would paying a little over that to have Telstra NBN with 45 mbps download average with Kayo, Netflix, Stan and Binge. I really should do the Math on it.

Edit- 52 mbps

Foxtel TV and Foxtel NBN over 12 months will work out to $95.25 per month
Netflix $20 per month
Spotify $20 per month
Disney+ $7 per month (paid for annually)
Mobile phones x 4 sim only plan, $80 per month (12 month expiry with 300gb of data on each for $240 each)
Kayo $17 per month

$2,868 per annum
$239 per month
$55 per week

3 years ago

ADSL2 on it's own was $99 per month
Foxtel was $155 per month for Platinum plus and extra box for the bedroom.
4 x mobile phones were 2 x handset repayment at $125 each per month and 2 x prepaid at $30 per month each for a total of $310 per month.

$564 per month
$130 per week

add the rest in, it would be more like

$628 per month
$145 per week

Some people reading it will say it's not value for money but compared to 3 years ago, we're $90 per week better off, I'm stoked with it compared to what it has been. We can afford it and we're really not going to compromise for the sake of saving a dollar or two a month, if it's a substantial saving then I look at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foxtel TV and Foxtel NBN over 12 months will work out to $95.25 per month
Netflix $20 per month
Spotify $20 per month
Disney+ $7 per month (paid for annually)
Mobile phones x 4 sim only plan, $80 per month (12 month expiry with 300gb of data on each for $240 each)
Kayo $17 per month

$2,868 per annum
$239 per month
$55 per week

3 years ago

ADSL2 on it's own was $99 per month
Foxtel was $155 per month for Platinum plus and extra box for the bedroom.
4 x mobile phones were 2 x handset repayment at $125 each per month and 2 x prepaid at $30 per month each for a total of $310 per month.

$564 per month
$130 per week

add the rest in, it would be more like

$628 per month
$145 per week

Some people reading it will say it's not value for money but compared to 3 years ago, we're $90 per week better off, I'm stoked with it compared to what it has been. We can afford it and we're really not going to compromise for the sake of saving a dollar or two a month, if it's a substantial saving then I look at it.
Can you do my tax return?

Paid for Kayo with the NRL starting this weekend. Seems fine. Clicking the fixtures menu really does remind you of the dirty little secret of Australian sport that nothing local outside of NRL, AFL and some cricket is worth watching.

Call from old mate today.

Said " UNLESS YOU CAN GIVE US A DISCOUNT ON OUR CURRENT DEAL WHICH WE'RE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH, WE'RE NOT INTERESTED " about 15 times.....he'd just go back to the start of his speech each time.

Hung up.

Foxtel form Telstra offered. 12 month suspension for ‘covid hardship’ I had had the dish and ic4 installed for free but the much vaunted 4K content never really arrived. Took kayo on Telstra offer and suspended Foxtel. Replays arrive quicker anyway.

last straw was a 3 year old UK gogglebox repeat which had at least 25% of the time riddled with adverts

Called FOXTEL today as my 'offer' is about to expire. I've been with them for 20 years. For the last 12 months I've been paying $109 per month for all the channels and boxes in two rooms. Best they are offering now is $149 per month (apparently this gives you sport for half price). No other offers available.

Any advice? If I just go through with cancelling will they come to the party and pull out a better offer or just let me walk?

Called FOXTEL today as my 'offer' is about to expire. I've been with them for 20 years. For the last 12 months I've been paying $109 per month for all the channels and boxes in two rooms. Best they are offering now is $149 per month (apparently this gives you sport for half price). No other offers available.

Any advice? If I just go through with cancelling will they come to the party and pull out a better offer or just let me walk?

they should, but what can’t you live without? You can get Kayo and Binge for $39 a month all in HD, and add Flash for all the news services for another $8. Can watch on multiple devices in multiple rooms at no extra cost.

they should, but what can’t you live without? You can get Kayo and Binge for $39 a month all in HD, and add Flash for all the news services for another $8. Can watch on multiple devices in multiple rooms at no extra cost.

It's criminal that foxtel slug you more money to watch in another room. 25 a month for another box which apparently you can enjoy the features of the box, or 15 for the app. If you're a paying customer the app should be free.

Just cancel and if they don't come to the party from the retentions team sign up to the current offers which has platinum for like 104 under your partners name.

In the end I told them I was going to do this last year which would cost them extra to do the new 'installation' but they wouldn't budge. Just kept offering stuff that was zero value to me.

I don't really know what I'd be missing, as I've never investigated what the streaming services offer and have just always watched FOXTEL and free to air. Most of what I watch on FOXTEL is sport, news (including overseas channels) and documentaries. The kids watch kids stuff and the wife watches movies and shows.

I cracked it when an episode of uk celebrity gogglebox on repeat mind you had more adverts than show.

I have a covid Telstra 12 month suspension rightnow and don’t miss it at all

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back