Foxtel - how atrocious has it become year after year?

Remove this Banner Ad

wouldn't know, not subscribed

whenever I am somewhere like a hotel that has some foxtel channels the amount of time they spend advertising is pretty annoying considering you are paying already just to be able to watch those ads

If it wasn't for the sport I wouldn't bother.
Becoming such a rip off when you consider the significantly cheaper options out there in Stan and Netflix.

What really grinds my gears is that they'll bend over backwards to get new customers, but won't do a damn thing to keep long term customers.

Becoming such a rip off when you consider the significantly cheaper options out there in Stan and Netflix.

What really grinds my gears is that they'll bend over backwards to get new customers, but won't do a damn thing to keep long term customers.
most retail companies work that way, all their deals go to getting new business, the loyal customer effectively finance the chasing of new business

banks, insurance, telcos, how many times do you see that *new customers only

I call them every year to disconnect. Telling them I don’t think I’m getting the value for money I used to. They drop there prices so quickly. I’m paying $85 for platinum HD.

Yep, it's a really outdated model
This

If we can just get a sports channel it’ll be worth it, sadly they make you package it with other channels.

Plus Foxtel Go does not have subtitles , despite Stan and Netflix having subtitles . Foxtel is a massive ripoff using old technology.

Im sure they know more about the financials than me but ive often wondered if they adopted a PPV system without having to subscribe would net them more money.

Probably not but id straight away pay a fee per match just to see the ones that arent on FTA.for my team or even matches of interest.

Actually, FTA is the outdated model.

Australia was very late on the uptake with pay television (and hasn't had a very widespread uptake either), which has ingrained a reluctance to pay for content, and the attitude that we have the "right" to FTA content. We're pretty lucky (when compared to a lot of other countries) that we get as much FTA live sport and popular programming as we do.

Im sure they know more about the financials than me but ive often wondered if they adopted a PPV system without having to subscribe would net them more money.

Probably not but id straight away pay a fee per match just to see the ones that arent on FTA.for my team or even matches of interest.

The stumbling block is always the need for installation and a set top box for a reliable (compared to streaming, and the need for a high-speed Internet connection) service, and the cost of providing that.

If it was as easy as just activating a subscription, I imagine that an on-demand service may be more viable, but I don't think there'll be anything like that in the near future which wouldn't just involve streaming via the Internet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stumbling block is always the need for installation and a set top box for a reliable (compared to streaming, and the need for a high-speed Internet connection) service, and the cost of providing that.

If it was as easy as just activating a subscription, I imagine that an on-demand service may be more viable, but I don't think there'll be anything like that in the near future which wouldn't just involve streaming via the Internet.

Yeah ideally its done over the net which obviously presents problems with the crap internet we have here but one can dream.

Actually, FTA is the outdated model.

Australia was very late on the uptake with pay television (and hasn't had a very widespread uptake either), which has ingrained a reluctance to pay for content, and the attitude that we have the "right" to FTA content. We're pretty lucky (when compared to a lot of other countries) that we get as much FTA live sport and popular programming as we do.

For example I dont wanna pay 130 a month for HD and content that is 90% crap. (that was the cost of the premium pack when I had it)
Happy to pay for just what I wanna watch, hopefully that would be the case with movie releases one day on broader scale.

Also I dont agree FTA is an outdated model just because the some other countries do things differently.
Also on foxtel you still get ads and are at the mercy of their programming.

Paying for HD on cable is a rort, the bandwidth is already allocated whether you use it or not, they are charging extra to decode the better signal

Would be like 7 saying footy is free in SD but pay $10 a month to be able to watch 7mate when the footy is on

I call them every year to disconnect. Telling them I don’t think I’m getting the value for money I used to. They drop there prices so quickly. I’m paying $85 for platinum HD.
I do the same, but i think i'll get my wife to do it next time. She's a better hagler than me.

Only have the basic package plus sport.

Because Darts.

I want to keep it for football and F1. But I’m going to call and say I want out and see if I’ll grt it cheaper. Only problem is if they just say ok and disconnect it. Can I call their bluff ?
Do it and stay firm don't talk to the Indians you get first up make sure they put you through to the disconnections team based in Australia, then you'll be offered something. I keep doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back