Foxtel Just Blocked 28 More Torrent Sites In Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuff paying for a VPN.

I user Opera (browser very much like Chrome) which has a built in VPN that is free. Works perfectly for when I need to torrent. For example when Amazon Prime refuses to let me watch season 5 of a show even though it's been out already for a while and they have the first 4 seasons on there.

Up to you though, I'm not keen on my info being out on the web for anyone to see.

Stuff paying for a VPN.

I user Opera (browser very much like Chrome) which has a built in VPN that is free. Works perfectly for when I need to torrent. For example when Amazon Prime refuses to let me watch season 5 of a show even though it's been out already for a while and they have the first 4 seasons on there.

Or...... you know........ just change your DNS to point to the Google servers.

In terms of torrenting, VPN is only really useful for not getting busted for downloading things. If you're only using it to be able to access a blocked site you're wasting your money.

Or...... you know........ just change your DNS to point to the Google servers.

In terms of torrenting, VPN is only really useful for not getting busted for downloading things. If you're only using it to be able to access a blocked site you're wasting your money.

tbh for me I barely torrent these days, on the odd occasion like the scenario above I do but otherwise I stream most of my content (legally) anyway. Just thought it might be an option for some who don't want to pay for a vpn.

Is a VPN necessary or can one just take the risks these days for downloading via torrents?
I used to not use utorrent when I was younger, this was about 5-10 years ago and never had issues for something I didn't do.

Any suggestions for a VPN? Would be great to avoid geo blocks, also does the VPN just apply to that device or the whole network?

Is a VPN necessary or can one just take the risks these days for downloading via torrents?
I used to not use utorrent when I was younger, this was about 5-10 years ago and never had issues for something I didn't do.

Any suggestions for a VPN? Would be great to avoid geo blocks, also does the VPN just apply to that device or the whole network?

Have been using Nordvpn for a year, works well, not that cheap though but the one I had used previously which was half the price was junk. Whichever you go with, it's an idea to initially sub for a month & check that it's actually working.

I paid $40 for Windscribe for a year (on special).

Not the greatest speeds compared to other VPNs like Nord, but it does the job for me.

Pros:
- It has many countries on the Pro version
- works with Netflix (US)
- decent privacy policy
- kill switch
- built-in feature that blocks ads and trackers
- browser extension and phone app
- customer service is excellent - not that I ever really need it

I was on the free 50gb version (through an offer) for a year or so and it was great for Netflix but needed the extra features that came with the Pro version.

The only real concern is it's operated out of Canada (five eyes) country but that's a risk I'll happily tolerate.

I don't torrent a great deal these days but $40 is worth the peace of mind for when I do.

Is it a household VPN or per device? Really keen to get one for US Netflix on TV and also the laptop torrents.
Windscribe Pro can be used as a household VPN if you know how to set it up through your router.

The service is based on bandwidth so there's actually no limit on the number of users that can use it.

Windscribe Pro can be used as a household VPN if you know how to set it up through your router.

The service is based on bandwidth so there's actually no limit on the number of users that can use it.
Probably going to give NordVPN a go, not sure if the cheapest but has numerous positive reviews and apparently works well with the router I have. Does anyone know if I am permanently connected to my VPN in another region if that effects things like content only accessible in Aus or PS4 gaming where I am registered in AU? Like do you need to turn it off when not using it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Foxtel not heard of the Hydra effect? You chop one head off, two grows in its place? :D Maybe if it reduced its prices and made it a lot more flexible and timely people wouldn't be pirating the living hell out of it.

I've had VPN.AC for around 2 years now, never had any issues with it on my laptop or phone. Around USD$53 a year, can justify it just for the security in public spaces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back