Roast Francis Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I think its time we had a specific vent thread for Jackson.
In the last couple of days there has been rumors that Vickery, Lennon & Conca will be moved on.
3 1st round draft picks which all should be coming into their prime.
So with all the pressure on the board and coaches at the moment I think Jackson really needs to go.

He has been at the club since 2005.
In since then our 1st and 2nd round picks have been:

2005-Jarrod Oakley-Nicolls & Cleve Hughes
2006- Jack Reiwoldt & Shane Edwards
2007- Cotchin, Rance (no 2nd rounder)
2008- Tyrone, Jayden Post
2009- Martin, Griffiths
2010- Conca, Batchelour
2011-B.Ellis, Elton
2012- Vlaustin, Macintosh
2013- Lennon, no 2nd rounder
2014- C.Ellis, Menadue
2015- Rioli, no 2nd rounder.

2005,2008,2010,2013 are all complete distastes.

There is no way this man can be at the Tigers anymore.

He can't pick past he second round and even now some of his first round selections are looking like busts. Though even on here there were plenty that were prepared to defend his recruiting until it's now gone past opinion to fact.

Sam Lloyd
Oleg Markov
Jayden Short
Jason Castagna
Kane Lambert

All shown decent signs at AFL level.

Chol
Cal Moore
Drummond

All look shown decent signs at VFL level. All were picked past the second round.

His recruiting isn't flash, but it also isn't as bad as some would have you believe. I think his problem is that he hasn't drafted any starts apart from Jack, Cotch, Martin and Rance. The others are just sort of vanilla.

2010 was a ******* disaster. Conca and Batch over Heppell and Parker was an absolute atrocity.

Parker was passed over by 17 other clubs, not just Richmond.

Hans McGregor

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
His time was up years ago.

Would love to see him sacked, but it wouldn't give us much time to find someone else before the draft.

T4P

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
He wasnt responsible for 2005. He started late in '05 so he didn't have any input.

His recruiting is not our problem. Those three players leaving isnt his fault. Its development (and to a minor extent injuries, see Conca)

Is there anyone you blokes don't want toroast and sack?

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Sam Lloyd
Oleg Markov
Jayden Short
Jason Castagna
Kane Lambert

Chol
Cal Moore
Drummond

All look shown decent signs at VFL level. All were picked past the second round.

His recruiting isn't flash, but it also isn't as bad as some would have you believe. I think his problem is that he hasn't drafted any starts apart from Jack, Cotch, Martin and Rance. The others are just sort of vanilla.
From the last two years, also coinciding with the appointment of Luke Williams. However yes, his recruiting is that bad, it's a statistical fact that we are the worst since 2010.

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Sam Lloyd
Oleg Markov
Jayden Short
Jason Castagna
Kane Lambert

Chol
Cal Moore
Drummond

Nothing to really write home about there, compare him to other clubs and he he just stabbing the dark sometimes. Not hard to do if you look at it that way.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Sam Lloyd
Oleg Markov
Jayden Short
Jason Castagna
Kane Lambert

Chol
Cal Moore
Drummond

To be fair... it's just the sameness in his selections over and over.

- Uncompetitive talls.
- Small midfielders.
- Too many players without a pure position.

Adam Thomson vs Rory Sloane, just for example, absolutely sums it up.
Thomson being a fringe player at Port with no real upside and an average looking body, Sloane being a big bodied junior with clear upside.

This is constantly happening.

Time to change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harvey Leadpipe

Premiership Player
Sep 22, 2004
Deep in the Bullring
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't know how some could possibly be defending him, or any of the recruitment staff. Our recruiting, outside the no brainers that picked themselves, has been horrendous, inept, disastrous etc.

Notwithstanding the poor gameplan (if you want to call it that), the disinterested players, the lack of skills etc, whilst I agree that there's a lack of any answers from the coaches box, I want the guys that actually find these players put up in front of the fans.

Emma Quayle and the likes of her basically do a "skills based" analysis every year on all the potential draftees, where they'd possibly get picked at, what draft they'd go in etc. In other words, half the recruiting puzzle has already been done. Why is it we seem to only recruit shy, introverted, quietly spoken prospects?

Looking at the top teams both now and over the years, most of their list seems to be confident, fiercely competitive, outspoken, risk-taking types. I'm sure this is no accident. They seem to bark orders at each other all game, no matter their role or age, encourage each other continuously, and back themselves once the game is up for the taking. We do the opposite. Apart from Jack and Rancey, we look like scared little newborn calves, just dropped into the middle of Times Square, trembling like confused leaves.

Whilst I agree it is the footy departments role to develop the recruits into players/leaders/a team, surely we've got to find the right people initially to be able to be developed. I have no idea how deep we go into the investigation (Do we interview the recruit once? Twice? His footy coach? His PE teacher? His maths teacher? His mates?), but something seems to be missing. Year after year, we never nail a draft, a late pick, and now not even first/second round picks.

Jan 3, 2005
At Home
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
L.A. Kings, Oakland Raiders
Did we really need another one of these?
Yes.

That way when someone like RFC_Official is looking at social media and presents to the Club (I assume this happens, but it is Richmond so who knows) what's happening in regards to social media and Richmond. He/She can give a true presentation of the level of unrest amongst the Supporters.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
He wasnt responsible for 2005. He started late in '05 so he didn't have any input.

His recruiting is not our problem. Those three players leaving isnt his fault. Its development (and to a minor extent injuries, see Conca)

Is there anyone you blokes don't want toroast and sack?
sorry to dissapoint you but there are a truck load of people as well as evidence to suggest he is s**t.
Furthermore there are a number of people who have dealt with him who cant wait to contact him when he gets the arse.

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Time will tell once these guys have moved on..... If they are developed and become really good players then you have to say the development is crap.

I would say it is a combination of poor recruiting and poor development (both on and off-field) that has contributed to these failures.

CHBenchwarmer

All Australian
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
FJ...
vince-mcmahon-gif.gif

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
sorry to dissapoint you but there are a truck load of people as well as evidence to suggest he is s**t.
Furthermore there are a number of people who have dealt with him who cant wait to contact him when he gets the arse.
Curious how that conversation looks? Though I'd love to ask him what the smug * thought talking about Parker at a briefing and then picking Conca and how well that's going?

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Easy to be a recruiting expert in hindsight
Statistically anyone able to buy a herald sun would yield a better return on picks than this guy. He's like a fund manager that consistently under performs the market, when even a layman could buy an index fund and be better off without paying fees as well.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
To be fair... it's just the sameness in his selections over and over.

- Uncompetitive talls.
- Small midfielders.
- Too many players without a pure position.

Adam Thomson vs Rory Sloane, just for example, absolutely sums it up.
Thomson being a fringe player at Port with no real upside and an average looking body, Sloane being a big bodied junior with clear upside.

This is constantly happening.

Time to change.
So easy to recruit with hindsight isnt it?
Sloane was #44 clearly he upside wasn't very clear.
We traded pick #42 anyway, which ended up being a guy that played 19 career games.
But hey it sure is easy to look back 8 years and cherry pick the best players and say we missed them

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Give us a spell.
Conca over Heppel sure.
But Parker? Really? He went pick 40 ffs. That isnt a failure on us, thats someone that performed well above what ANYONE expected.
TigerImposter might recall the meeting. But we trotted out a presentation about the incoming draft and they posted a lot of stuff about Parker and a lot of attendees kept pushing him on the subject. Most people left fairly confident we were taking Parker at 6, not only did we go with Conca but we even took Batchelor before him. Simply a case of being too smart for out own good, the obvious choice was the best one.

Which also seems to be a recurring theme, when a highly performed mid lasts to our pick we seem to always take the project flanker or ruck/fwd, it's just not working for us. We don't even have an elite flanker or ruck from all these picks which is fairly damning in itself.

As a man in love with stats you'd have to accept that our draftees since 2010 have returned the least amount of games in the league and we have delisted 47% of those drafted, the highest in the league. That's a statistical fact that he's the worst in the league by a fair margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back