Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
It was with great sadness that I bade farewell to one of my favourite items of technology today.

In the summer of '03, I was a penniless student, and my parents stepped in and bought me a laptop for classes- I had no choice in the matter, they just came round my place and dropped it off- it was a BenQ Joybook which is a budget model, korean made concrete slab of a laptop.

It was never state of the art technology, but it got the job done- never had reason to replace it, and over the years, the thing which stuck out was its sheer unkillability. When I went on exchange i carted it halfway around asia with me, sent it through baggage handling on multiple occasions, dropped it down flights of stairs, used it in an outdoor bus station in drizzle, and on one memorable occasion dropped it out of a second story window into a snow drift- none of that bothered it in the slightest.

Over time, it ended up with standard cheap laptop problems, like a capacity to rapidly fry your family jewels if you used it as a literal lap top, and a battery life which was actually shorter than the time it took its processor to calculate remaining battery life once unplugged, but it still worked.

A landmark moment came in 2010, when I accidentally poured an entire cup of tea over the keyboard. It made a sort of electronic sneeze and switched off (along with all of the lights in the house.) I dried it off as best as I could, and figuring I had nothing to lose, rebooted. It worked okay for about 5 or 10 minutes, and then shut down again- this time, it wouldn't boot up at all.

I left it for a few days, and tried again, and it seemed to work okay- but some of the keys wouldn't work and finally with a massive crackling noise it shut down again. So I pried the case open and found that the motherboard was still actually under a pool of tea. I sponged it all off as best as I could (leaving soggy tissue inside it) and left it outside to bake for a few days.

After that.. nothing. Plugged it in, and absolutely no response. Left it switched on at the wall and forgot about it, a few days later I was woken up around 3am by the windows chime- somehow in the middle of the night BenQ had woken itself up, cooked off the moisture and booted up- presumably if there was a liquid metal computer in my room it would have fought it to a standstill and lowered itself into a pit of molten metal.

From that point onwards, it worked fine, although the touchpad was out of order so i used a plug in mouse. Still functioned perfectly well in every other regard although it would overheat very easily. Every so often I would step on the screen when I hopped out of bed and didn't look where it was, but that never seemed to bother it in the slightest. There were certain fraying parts of the power cord which gave a nasty shock if you grabbed hold of them.

Over the next year, one USB port after another flamed out, until I was left with an intermittent functioning one I had to jiggle the mouse connection around in. Sadly, that port finally died today, leaving me with a computer with no mouse input at all, and no way of plugging in a thumb drive to transfer files off- I am doing a massive wireless file transfer now whilst typing this post, after which BenQ will be retired with full military honours. Am still amazed at how much punishment it has taken over the years, and am full of respect for the korean factory worker drones who have constructed such an extraordinarily tough beast of a laptop. Even now, the processor is sound, it is just its namby pamby peripherals which have let it down.

I love technology which simply keeps on keeping on no matter what you throw at it, and I am curious to know whether other people have encountered similar unkillable products, whether computers, phones or other?

True warrior of it's race. But seems you didn't give it the care it may have deserved, but they say that true love is tough love.

I hope you decided to start backing up your work after the hot tea debacle of 2010.

I feel your pain.

My laptop is currently at that stage of the battery only lasting a micro-second without the power source plugged in.

Really annoying when you're using it and somehow you accidentally unplug. Frantic dive to retrieve the cord is always futile.

My Macbook is ageing much more gracefully.

Good story. The tea would've been eating it if you didn't wash it out.

When you spill anything on electronics there's a process you need to do.

First remove all electricity.

Second hose it out, the more clean water blasting through the better.

Then let it dry out. Only once it is bone dry can you re-introduce it to electricity. Your old faithful might not had died if you washed it out properly.

The experience sounds similar to my old compaq laptop, cheapest i could afford to get my own laptop in high school, the thing was dropped, spilled on, stood on and treated quite poorly. In the end it was killed by the pin on the motherboard coming loose and losing ac power (it's battery was knacked) tried fixing it with silicon but no luck. At the time of death 3 of its 4 usb ports didn't work, the pcmia slot didn't work, touchpad didn't work, left speaker didn't work, speaker mesh was rusting, used to randomly spark and on occasion start small electrical fires (quite funny in games when you start swearing followed by afk pc on fire...) All the main components still worked, it was simply let down by a single pin.

Followed that with a acer, first one died in the first day, second one just after the one year warranty ran out keys fell off, speakers lost quality, wireless dropped out... Honestly considering i treated that laptop like it was a ming vase it broke far too easily, compared to 4 years of reliable service from the compaq it got replaced after just over 1 year.

Non laptop but the much maligned ipods can be more durable than people claim, mine went from uluru to darwin, up the big rocks, had my cheap camelback burst and leak onto it, fell onto tiles and broke in 2, got thrown at a mates head a few times, stood on etc. Was joked about by friends since it was held together with duct tape and a subaru sticker from the motorshow. Eventually got out the polish and superglue and it looked good as new. 1st gen nano, still works to this day as my mother who now has it can confirm...

Nokia mobiles are known to be unkillable but one potentially saved my leg from a bad injury. Was riding a kick scooter back from working on a mates pc, had a screwdriver in my pocket with the phone. Hitting a downhill bit and well getting up more speed than i should've on a footpath, hit uneven pavement and well ate footpath (no helmet mind you...) got up in shock and walked home with some arm / wrist / leg injuries. Wasn't until i got to the doctors that i realised my nokia had the sharp end of the screwdriver impaled in it's lcd screen with the metal backing being slightly dented outward. Put simply the doc stated it was lucky the screen stopped it or yeah metal screwdriver meet leg and potentially arteries.Did however have a nasty phone shaped bruise on my thigh :p

Followed that with a acer, first one died in the first day, second one just after the one year warranty ran out keys fell off, speakers lost quality, wireless dropped out... Honestly considering i treated that laptop like it was a ming vase it broke far too easily, compared to 4 years of reliable service from the compaq it got replaced after just over 1 year.

Haha what did I say?

You just know as well that if you would have babied it, it somehow wouldn't have lasted a year.

Always the way for some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's stories like these that have me buggered as to why people own expensive smartphones.

I have a nokia flip phone. No idea what the name of the model is, it was my gf's old phone. Old enough not to be able to get online and new enough to play mp3s. I treat that thing like I would my wife and it refuses to die on me.

I dropped it on the road once and the power button went flying off. I just thought, I wont let it get flat. Eventually, the inevitable happened and it went flat and I couldn't turn it on for two days. While I was driving home, I just had this idea to use a key to try and turn it on. Worked! The key for my bike lock was the perfect fit. Push it in and giv it a slight turn and it was enough to start the circuits. Now, if I go out, I always take my keys with me in case I drop my phone and the battery comes out and I need to turn my phone back on.

I have a horrible habit of trying to catch my phone with my foot when I drop it. Once I did this at a party and it went cannoning into a brick wall. Front screen cracked, s**t went flying everywhere, but I just gave it the key treatment and it was all good.

Don't understand people with smartphones. I like taking my phone to the beach or river so I can tell the time. Mates all rely on me to have my phone when we go swimming somewhere because they all have smart phones and leave them in the car. Sure, it gets sand and a bit of water on it, but it seems to like that and I can always be contacted if needed or know the time.

I've thought about buying an iphone but I know if I buy one I'll leave it in a taxi or I'll crack the screen after one week and I'll be pissed off. I have worried about what will happen to my phone if it eventually dies, but one day my gf told me one of her friends has the exact same model as my phone and she gave it to me. It's sitting on the bookcase ready to take up arms once its brother finally falls from grace.

It's stories like these that have me buggered as to why people own expensive smartphones.

I have a nokia flip phone. No idea what the name of the model is, it was my gf's old phone. Old enough not to be able to get online and new enough to play mp3s. I treat that thing like I would my wife and it refuses to die on me.

I dropped it on the road once and the power button went flying off. I just thought, I wont let it get flat. Eventually, the inevitable happened and it went flat and I couldn't turn it on for two days. While I was driving home, I just had this idea to use a key to try and turn it on. Worked! The key for my bike lock was the perfect fit. Push it in and giv it a slight turn and it was enough to start the circuits. Now, if I go out, I always take my keys with me in case I drop my phone and the battery comes out and I need to turn my phone back on.

I have a horrible habit of trying to catch my phone with my foot when I drop it. Once I did this at a party and it went cannoning into a brick wall. Front screen cracked, s**t went flying everywhere, but I just gave it the key treatment and it was all good.

Don't understand people with smartphones. I like taking my phone to the beach or river so I can tell the time. Mates all rely on me to have my phone when we go swimming somewhere because they all have smart phones and leave them in the car. Sure, it gets sand and a bit of water on it, but it seems to like that and I can always be contacted if needed or know the time.

I've thought about buying an iphone but I know if I buy one I'll leave it in a taxi or I'll crack the screen after one week and I'll be pissed off. I have worried about what will happen to my phone if it eventually dies, but one day my gf told me one of her friends has the exact same model as my phone and she gave it to me. It's sitting on the bookcase ready to take up arms once its brother finally falls from grace.

This is my phone:

k1-black.jpg

I bought it at Christmas in 2007 for $200, on Optus Pre-Paid. Has been fine for what I want and lasted me ever since :thumbsu: I won't be buying a new one until it stops working.

Motorola Razors are great phones. Mine's still knocking about somewhere; I use it whenever I'm between phones. Still does the job.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Had one of these from whenever it first came out

2e91177f6c5f98a6fc985ae438c8e423_93879117631260983462.jpg

It's been through everything. I've dropped it of 50ft high rides at the show, had it run over by a motorcycle, it's been thrown up on after big nights out on several occasions (one of which broke the camera switch, but the camera still worked when turned on manually)

Only stopped using it a year ago because the speaker and part that makes the phone vibrate broke, rendering it incapable of telling me when I get a phonecall.

It did come in handy recently when I broke the screen on my iPhone. It gets better reception than it too :eek:.

140.jpg

In 1965 my Mum and Dad were married and were given a Sunbeam Toaster as a gift. It had no handle for lowering the toast (high tech for those days), instead you have to put the toast in, jiggle it up and down and it lowered the bread down automatically.

It had a darker-lighter setting that took a bit of finesse to use, but once mastered it would produce whatever shade of toast you wished in the same amount of time, every time. And every time with a Pavlovian 'click' as the toast rises, cooked to perfection.

It's had its moments, like when we used it so much and failed to clean the crumb tray out that it caught fire. The brilliant thing was, I just unplugged it, put it in the sink and turned the tap on. Not the smartest thing to do, but I was six at the time.

After it was cleaned out and dried off we plugged it back in and it went straight back to work, putting out round after round of perfect toast.

Nearly fifty years on and I stayed at Mum's the other day. The next morning I got up, made myself some vegemite toast and as we were eating breakfast my Mum asked me what I wanted to inherit when she dies. The first thing that came to mind was the Sunbeam. I don't doubt that if I ever have kids, they will inherit it off me.

Had one of these from whenever it first came out

2e91177f6c5f98a6fc985ae438c8e423_93879117631260983462.jpg

It's been through everything. I've dropped it of 50ft high rides at the show, had it run over by a motorcycle, it's been thrown up on after big nights out on several occasions (one of which broke the camera switch, but the camera still worked when turned on manually)

Only stopped using it a year ago because the speaker and part that makes the phone vibrate broke, rendering it incapable of telling me when I get a phonecall.

It did come in handy recently when I broke the screen on my iPhone. It gets better reception than it too :eek:.

Had that phone for years (maybe the next model up). Can't recall how many falls it went through. One in particular - running down the road at full pelt, flew out of my pocket and finally came to a stop 10 metres down the road. A corner of the case was scraped back a millimetre or two, but replaced the batteries and away it went.

It finally died after my brother slammed it as hard as he could into the tiles after an argument. :(

Bought a craptacular LG touch screen phone that died on me after a month or two. Piece of s**t cost me 200 bucks too. Screen would randomly turn green and freeze and eventually it stayed green.

Truth be told, I was happy to see the end of it, $200 investment or not. My brother in law then let me borrow a Nokia similar to THRILLHO's one. He watched with bemusement as I dropped it twice or thrice a day but I'm fairly sure the thing is unbreakable.

Now onto a HTC Incredible S which has served me well thus far. Reckon I've only dropped it once in 3 months too, though made the mistake of putting it in keys with it in my pocket and it's got a small scratch on it.

Speaking of Frankentech, my old Windows 95 PC is worth a mention. Bought probably back in 96/97 and was still going strong almost a decade later, long after my 3 year old Windows XP PC had slowed to a crawl. Not sure what happened to it in the end but it's gone for a few years. From memory the BIOS was deleted somehow and couldn't get it to boot. Miss the thing. :(

It was with great sadness that I bade farewell to one of my favourite items of technology today.

In the summer of '03, I was a penniless student, and my parents stepped in and bought me a laptop for classes- I had no choice in the matter, they just came round my place and dropped it off- it was a BenQ Joybook which is a budget model, korean made concrete slab of a laptop.

It was never state of the art technology, but it got the job done- never had reason to replace it, and over the years, the thing which stuck out was its sheer unkillability. When I went on exchange i carted it halfway around asia with me, sent it through baggage handling on multiple occasions, dropped it down flights of stairs, used it in an outdoor bus station in drizzle, and on one memorable occasion dropped it out of a second story window into a snow drift- none of that bothered it in the slightest.

Over time, it ended up with standard cheap laptop problems, like a capacity to rapidly fry your family jewels if you used it as a literal lap top, and a battery life which was actually shorter than the time it took its processor to calculate remaining battery life once unplugged, but it still worked.

A landmark moment came in 2010, when I accidentally poured an entire cup of tea over the keyboard. It made a sort of electronic sneeze and switched off (along with all of the lights in the house.) I dried it off as best as I could, and figuring I had nothing to lose, rebooted. It worked okay for about 5 or 10 minutes, and then shut down again- this time, it wouldn't boot up at all.

I left it for a few days, and tried again, and it seemed to work okay- but some of the keys wouldn't work and finally with a massive crackling noise it shut down again. So I pried the case open and found that the motherboard was still actually under a pool of tea. I sponged it all off as best as I could (leaving soggy tissue inside it) and left it outside to bake for a few days.

After that.. nothing. Plugged it in, and absolutely no response. Left it switched on at the wall and forgot about it, a few days later I was woken up around 3am by the windows chime- somehow in the middle of the night BenQ had woken itself up, cooked off the moisture and booted up- presumably if there was a liquid metal computer in my room it would have fought it to a standstill and lowered itself into a pit of molten metal.

From that point onwards, it worked fine, although the touchpad was out of order so i used a plug in mouse. Still functioned perfectly well in every other regard although it would overheat very easily. Every so often I would step on the screen when I hopped out of bed and didn't look where it was, but that never seemed to bother it in the slightest. There were certain fraying parts of the power cord which gave a nasty shock if you grabbed hold of them.

Over the next year, one USB port after another flamed out, until I was left with an intermittent functioning one I had to jiggle the mouse connection around in. Sadly, that port finally died today, leaving me with a computer with no mouse input at all, and no way of plugging in a thumb drive to transfer files off- I am doing a massive wireless file transfer now whilst typing this post, after which BenQ will be retired with full military honours. Am still amazed at how much punishment it has taken over the years, and am full of respect for the korean factory worker drones who have constructed such an extraordinarily tough beast of a laptop. Even now, the processor is sound, it is just its namby pamby peripherals which have let it down.

I love technology which simply keeps on keeping on no matter what you throw at it, and I am curious to know whether other people have encountered similar unkillable products, whether computers, phones or other?

I owned a Ben Q from around the same era. I think I had the Samuel L Jackson to your Bruce Willis version.

My first 3g phone was a lg flip, my first and only full flip phone... Granted it took a beating but i fidget too much and got in the habit of opening it to answer calls by flicking my wrist. One day i must've done it a bit hard and well the top half of the phone flung across the room. Actually my luck with phones is terrible in general, deaths include;
-Screwdriver through screen mentioned earlier
-The freak snap off mentioned here
-Working in a deli my first camera phone (alcatel something) fell out of my pocket and directly into the drain full of chicken fat from the rotisserie i just emptied
-After breaking a lot of phones in a short period i got given the old mans old tradies phone, worked well, me and a few mates even took goes throwing it at a wall to see if it would break (after i knew i was getting a new phone) in the end it died when my drink bottle leaked..
-My first 3310 lost a line of pixels from a drop, then eventually it fell out of pocket while riding my bike and it broke beyond the usual put back together. Couldn't find the charging bit from the bottom.
-3315 actually lasted well bar some melted case from accidentally putting it too close to a bbq, mate decided to kill it by throwing it onto a main road while the light was red and letting cars run it over...
-Samsung f480, had it like a month , dropped it and the battery cover no longer stayed on, sticker to the rescue!. Got dropped many times, never died...
-Not a phone but my last wireless mouse died when it fell off my laptop and directly into a cup of tea. Not talking a wide mug, was a skinny mug that was barely bigger than the mouse and the thing fell in plum.

Have a smartphone now, but whenever i go somewhere i deem high risk the trusty beaten up f480 gets pulled back out... For a phone that was all screen however it never cracked is beyond me, copped drops, got chucked in my cricket bag no issues, smacked into poles in the train after a match and it's a bit scuffed but no drama. Mates iphone he got the slightest knock into a seat in a train and his screen shattered, either some people just have rotten luck or they're incredibly weak...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back