Opinion Frankston. What can be done about it?

Frankston: What should be dona about it?

• Dome it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Great also when you go to the Toliet and you see this:

20160717_160056.jpg
Lol. Did the bombers play down there the day before?

Frankston will become a trendy suburb one day ...

... As Melbourne's population grows - and it is expected to grow substantially - people have to live somewhere.

So the developers build suburbs full of housing estates. Which are new and clean ...

... but they are also soulless. Public services are poor. There is no established community spirit.

So when folks are given the choice of living in a housing estate ...

... or living near the beach by the bay, next to a major transport hub, with good community facilities, on the doorstep of the Mornington peninsula? No brainer. People with money will flow in. People without money will flow out. It'll get gentrified.

It has happened all over Melbourne. Suburbs like Collingwood, Richmond, Kensington, Fitzroy, Footscray, Yarraville, St Kilda have at some stage in their history been cheap slums that nobody with means and dignity would deign to live in ...

... but are now are highly desirable places to live.

Not every suburb is destined to become rich and trendy. It'll only those that are able to provide fundamentals that people want and need. And Frankston has got it in spades.
Do you know '76, this was exactly what was being spruiked about Frankston when I was house hunting in 2005. It's cheap, it's by the bay, people will see it's virtues and flock to it as they are priced out of other suburbs. It didn't happen, hasn't happened and I suspect will never happen while the entire north half of Frankston is Broadmeadows by the bay. Disadvantage, Crime stats and reputation are a huge barrier to it ever really taking off the way you suggest it could.

Do you know '76, this was exactly what was being spruiked about Frankston when I was house hunting in 2005. It's cheap, it's by the bay, people will see it's virtues and flock to it as they are priced out of other suburbs. It didn't happen, hasn't happened and I suspect will never happen while the entire north half of Frankston is Broadmeadows by the bay. Disadvantage, Crime stats and reputation are a huge barrier to it ever really taking off the way you suggest it could.

These things happen over time, sometimes over a very long time.

When was the suburb of Collingwood founded? Dunno, probably 1840's?

When did the suburb of Collingwood become somewhere that people of means would live by choice? Dunno, probably 1990's?

When did the suburb of Collingwood become somewhere that people of means would live by choice? Dunno, probably 1990's?
Yes but Collingwood is INNER city with lots of "quaint" Victorian terrace houses and collingwood does no have huge areas of housing commission houses, nor the crime rate nor the stigma that Frankston does. I don't think they're comparable. Think Sunshine maybe.

It's not a Free Handout for People who are on the DSP.

Is for the one's who abuse it but not for the Real One's

Lot More Aussies in Frankston the Dandenong

Someone will no doubt shoot me down as racist but that is one of Frankston's big plusses... it's easier to get along with people who are similar to you, anglo Australians I mean, like they are interested in the footy and having a beer mostly, you know you can just say gday mate and its all good, but you go to Dandenong which is very multicultural and its very hard to find common ground with immigrants... plus the language barrier.

... As Melbourne's population grows - and it is expected to grow substantially - people have to live somewhere.

So the developers build suburbs full of housing estates. Which are new and clean ...

... but they are also soulless. Public services are poor. There is no established community spirit.

... or living near the beach by the bay, next to a major transport hub, with good community facilities, on the doorstep of the Mornington peninsula? No brainer. People with money will flow in. People without money will flow out. It'll get gentrified.

It has happened all over Melbourne. Suburbs like Collingwood, Richmond, Kensington, Fitzroy, Footscray, Yarraville, St Kilda have at some stage in their history been cheap slums that nobody with means and dignity would deign to live in ...

Not every suburb is destined to become rich and trendy. It'll only those that are able to provide fundamentals that people want and need. And Frankston has got it in spades.

This. Couldn't have put it better myself. Of course you have to pick your spot but from someone who knows as part of both of my jobs I travel to all areas and houses there are some places you wouldn't want to live like in some sections of the Pines, but go over the road to Carrum Downs and it's just all hard working families paying off mortgages... the undesirable people that people think Frankston is full of can't afford to live in the nicer spots already... and on the beach side of the rail line you already have to be a millionaire to get a look in probably... but people just hop off the train, see a bunch of punk teenagers smoking darts out the front and write the place off but as you say, it's got everything you want, it's connected to the metro train system, it's very well serviced by buses as well, there are nice schools, infrastructure is in place, it has restaurants, pubs, clubs, basically every type of business is trading in Frankston including a large industrial precinct. And it has a big theatre, library, 50m indoor pool and gym, loads of police which is a good thing if you are law abiding...

And there is plenty of jobs around and not many people who want them so if you are willing to get your hands dirty you can making a killing here...

Last edited:
An update on the locals. I stayed until 3/4 time at the VFL today, but it was interesting observing the Frankston supporters, from an anthropological perspective. Must say they enjoy their footy, with bongo drums, an air raid siren and another musical instrument - might have been a trumpet.

Hadn't heard the 'C' word yelled at the footy in a very long time, but I did today. Also p**fter. And my husband heard one fan urging Frankston to 'stab' one of our players. Driving away from the ground, we passed a gun and ammunition shop. All legal of course, but I don't see many in my protected inner Melbourne enclave.

I'm not judging, just observing. And probably no worse than we would have dished out at Vic Park in the 60s and 70s.

I don't know why that gun shop is still there and I never see anyone going in or out but I can't even see the entrance but yeah it's not great... there is no need for anyone in Frankston to own a gun...

It's not going to change in 10 years but wait until the station redevelopment and the removal of level crossings. You are hard pressed to find a rental house under $350 already so it's not that cheap... where did you end up buying?

It's not going to change in 10 years but wait until the station redevelopment and the removal of level crossings. You are hard pressed to find a rental house under $350 already so it's not that cheap... where did you end up buying?

God Knows. Guess go even more Rural

When my Mum was a kid their family lived in Oakleigh... that was the city fringe back then, if you went any further than that you hit farmland and Frankston back then was probably a holiday town much like say a Rye or Dromana is now... then when my parents got married they bought in Cranbourne which was the city fringe then in about 1980... a bit like Pakenham from not all that long ago, it was a small town with maybe 5000 people in it when I grew up there and now if you go to Cranbourne or Pakenham now you will see there is housing estate after housing estate after housing estate and now the City of Casey which encompasses Cranbourne has a population of 250,000!

You have to be pretty well heeled now to live in Oakleigh but 40 years ago it was the cheap area... the urban sprawl will always continue because the population is always growing and the less money you have the further out you have to go so what you are saying is correct although there is not much room for new housing in Frankston so you see places like Carrum Downs, Skye, and then out to Somerville where the houses are going.

Now that Peninsula Link makes it possible to get from Rosebud to Frankston in 30 minutes I reckon that region which is widely farmland will be the next major growth corridor in the next 40 years if I had to guess because people don't want to go out much further than Cranbourne or Pakenham and a lot of people only want to live in the East of Melbourne and most young people are locked out of buying in the nicer, inner city suburbs and I mean all the way out to Mordialloc is very, very pricey indeed.

When my Mum was a kid their family lived in Oakleigh... that was the city fringe back then, if you went any further than that you hit farmland and Frankston back then was probably a holiday town much like say a Rye or Dromana is now... then when my parents got married they bought in Cranbourne which was the city fringe then in about 1980... a bit like Pakenham from not all that long ago, it was a small town with maybe 5000 people in it when I grew up there and now if you go to Cranbourne or Pakenham now you will see there is housing estate after housing estate after housing estate and now the City of Casey which encompasses Cranbourne has a population of 250,000!

You have to be pretty well heeled now to live in Oakleigh but 40 years ago it was the cheap area... the urban sprawl will always continue because the population is always growing and the less money you have the further out you have to go so what you are saying is correct although there is not much room for new housing in Frankston so you see places like Carrum Downs, Skye, and then out to Somerville where the houses are going.

Now that Peninsula Link makes it possible to get from Rosebud to Frankston in 30 minutes I reckon that region which is widely farmland will be the next major growth corridor in the next 40 years if I had to guess because people don't want to go out much further than Cranbourne or Pakenham and a lot of people only want to live in the East of Melbourne and most young people are locked out of buying in the nicer, inner city suburbs and I mean all the way out to Mordialloc is very, very pricey indeed.

I be bit sad to see all the Beautiful Scenery be eaten by Progress with lot of Building be Build. Nuff Room to make a new Suburb or 2 even:'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankston has a lot going for it:
  • It's on the bay
  • It has Oliver's Hill, for a great view over Port Phillip Bay
  • It has Modernist architecture - check out the Round House
  • Its the gateway to the Mornington Peninsula
  • The Mornington Peninsula is a renowned wine making region
I'll be dropping by a few wineries tomorrow, in Red Hill, before making my way to the VFL game.

The Melbourne community needs a change of attitude, a different perspective, when assessing Frankston.

We also have some great posters from Frankston.:)
Apparently the crew from Struggle St were scoping Frankston. I would of thought that would go some way to remedying some of the negative stereotypes associated with the area.

Last edited:
Apparently the crew from Struggle St were scoping Frankston. I would of thought that would go some way to remedying some of the negative stereotypes associated with the area.

By picking the shittest housing commission street to represent us? I think you will find the vast majority of residents have jobs and are good, hard working people like anyone.

Toorak

To be fair to whoever was doing the spruiking, Frankston property prices actually have increased substantially in the last decade or so. A friend of mine bought down there around the '05 period for around $250k. Got divorced a couple of years ago and sold for a bit over $500k. It's a reasonable return for a 10 year investment, but the real money won't reach there for a good 15-20 years I reckon. There's still a good chunk of suburbs closer to the city to jump up in price ahead of it, like Mordialloc, Chelsea and Seaford. Frankston will still be affordable for a good while yet, but I can see the merit in a long term investment down that way.

Happening already.
As house prices increase in Frankston South (need about $750k to get in there now) those places on the fringe of Frankston South (Mount Erin, Heatherhill etc) are also increasing in price. Its almost impossible to get into Olivers Hill and again places on the fringe are increasing.
On the other side Frankston North, Carrum Downs and Skye have increased too but it is still relatively cheap to get in there but that will change as services increase in the area (new Cop Shop there already) and with the proximity to the Freeway. The "unsociable elements" with be forced into Cranbourne, Somerville or Hastings as housing in those areas is still extremely cheap

Yes, you are 100% correct, Frankston will become very much like Mentone/Mordialloc

To be fair to whoever was doing the spruiking, Frankston property prices actually have increased substantially in the last decade or so. A friend of mine bought down there around the '05 period for around $250k. Got divorced a couple of years ago and sold for a bit over $500k. It's a reasonable return for a 10 year investment, but the real money won't reach there for a good 15-20 years I reckon. There's still a good chunk of suburbs closer to the city to jump up in price ahead of it, like Mordialloc, Chelsea and Seaford. Frankston will still be affordable for a good while yet, but I can see the merit in a long term investment down that way.
I'd recommend buying a high set pole construction home then. By the time Frankston property is ready to take off the polar ice caps would've melted and it'll be a tidal lagoon.

Happening already.
As house prices increase in Frankston South (need about $750k to get in there now) those places on the fringe of Frankston South (Mount Erin, Heatherhill etc) are also increasing in price. Its almost impossible to get into Olivers Hill and again places on the fringe are increasing.
On the other side Frankston North, Carrum Downs and Skye have increased too but it is still relatively cheap to get in there but that will change as services increase in the area (new Cop Shop there already) and with the proximity to the Freeway. The "unsociable elements" with be forced into Cranbourne, Somerville or Hastings as housing in those areas is still extremely cheap

Yes, you are 100% correct, Frankston will become very much like Mentone/Mordialloc

Yes the ball just needs to get rolling with property developers knocking down the old scummy, weatherboard commission type houses in Frankston North and building new ones... the houses in Carrum Downs and Skye are still relatively new but cross over into Frankston North and the Pines and the houses are very old and cheap and the neighbourhood suffers as a result and at the moment those uglier houses give off bad vibes I reckon so once a few start getting rebuilt I think it will happen quickly that a lot of them will go and along with the crap houses will go the riff raff...

In terms of the CBD it has already been improved quite a lot with the Young St development and the upcoming train station renovation, there is still a bit of problem with wayward youngsters and deros hanging around and I don't know that the local economy is thriving but when more money comes in better shops and eating venues will come to and it wouldn't take long for Frankston to become a great little mini city. Parking is annoying in there though, there is nowhere to park for free really so I think that deters people... when they can go to Karingal or Seaford or Carrum Downs or Langwarrin and park for free...

Yes but Collingwood is INNER city with lots of "quaint" Victorian terrace houses

Value of "Inner" is that it is "close to stuff"

You can get "close to stuff" without being on the fringes of the CBD.

...and collingwood does no have huge areas of housing commission houses,

Isn't there a huge housing commission monstrosity on Hoddle St, opposite the Collingwood Town Hall?

nor the crime rate nor the stigma that Frankston does.

Not any more it doesn't. Once upon a time Collingwood was one of the biggest slums in the country.

"Power without Glory" is an interesting read chronicalling late 19th century / early 20th century Collingwood - it would make Frankston blush! :p

The gentrification of Collingwood is only a recent phenomenon - certainly within my lifetime.

I don't think they're comparable. Think Sunshine maybe.

Despite the rather optimistic suburb name, watching sunsets over the banks of the Maribyrnong doesn't really compare at all with what Frankston has to offer! :p

(And I say that as somebody who has a deep sentimental attachment to Melbourne's western suburbs, having grown up a spiralling torpedo punt from Sunshine)

Isn't there a huge housing commission monstrosity on Hoddle St, opposite the Collingwood Town Hall?

Not any more it doesn't. Once upon a time Collingwood was one of the biggest slums in the country.

Lol yes there is 2 or 3 massive housing commission blocks in Collingwood. You are right, Collingwood has a working class background, it was the team of the battler. That's how it got so big.

It always annoys me seeing those big housing commission blocks in Collingwood or Richmond or Prahran because they are in absolute prime positions anyone else would pay over a million to live there... the Richmond ones are in between Swan and Victoria St about 1km from the MCG, Prahran is a block away from Chapel St and they pay about $90 a week out of their Centrelink cheque to live there while I pay more than double to live in Frankston. Its not fair lol.

What is Struggle Street?

Back