Frankston

Remove this Banner Ad

just saying Waverley was out that way and the Hawks wanted to stay there. The AFL gave no support whatsoever

Waverly was in an almost perfect location tbh. Problem was the lack of trainline next to it made it useless.

Dandenong or Carnegie would've been perfect. Carnegie has 4 train lines within 1km of it (Frankston, Pakenham/Cranbourne and Alamein)

Waverly was in an almost perfect location tbh. Problem was the lack of trainline next to it made it useless.

Dandenong or Carnegie would've been perfect. Carnegie has 4 train lines within 1km of it (Frankston, Pakenham/Cranbourne and Alamein)

Worked OK for many years, and the Monash Uni is also somewhere a train/light line should have been, and may be soon -don’t hold your breath

The Frankston ground is a brisk walk from Baxter station too

just saying Waverley was out that way and the Hawks wanted to stay there. The AFL gave no support whatsoever
Didn’t the Saints players do a cover of Fight for your Right about Waverley?

Carnegie isn’t that great.

Caulfield would of been better. It’s a major station for 3 lines and it shows that area can handle large crowds with the Caulfield Cup, Guineas etc.

Serviced nearby by Nepean Hwy, Princess Hwy, Monash is close as well.

Frankston Park is getting lights suitable for broadcast-level night footy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...l/news-story/f625ea9456950bef552720c1cc0a7aca

Question... would a club consider making it a second home like the Dogs are doing with Ballarat?

I guess we’re talking St Kilda due to geography.

Sounds silly but...

- if there were a couple of stands put in to make capacity around 15k with AFL-standard changerooms

- it’s serviced by a metro train line

- it’s in a marginal seat which makes it ripe for investment from both major parties... that’s why the lights are going in

- if it was a clean stadium in terms of seating, concessions, advertising etc to allow the home club to make good profits

A couple of games a year versus interstate clubs like Hawthorn, North and the Bulldogs do with their second home?
Not silly at all. Franktropolis is only going to get bigger as a hub down in that neck of the woods. Dandy and Werribee are other population explosion areas

But you don’t want to create the next VFL park either....

Need good transport!!

Totally. And how much did that area explode soon after? You could also have people from the La Trobe valley training in too

Genuine question, what the hell is wrong with you guys who take any sort of opportunity to pot other people's teams? Did neither of you grow up past the age of 10 or something?

I was living in Frankston when the St Kilda deal was unveiled years back - the original plan was for the Saints to move to Frankston Park (which I thought was a good idea). The idea to compromise and end up at Belvedere was a failure you could see coming a mile away. My major issue is with the dimwits at the councils who just enjoy blowing other people’s money that they get their hands on. The Saints didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory by bailing at the first opportunity either.

I’m now a resident of Kingston and it’s happening all over again, although Moorabbin Reserve will serve its purpose to the ratepayers more than that disaster down the road (you’d hope).

Lol

Frankston is definitely changing though. Long term it will lose that reputation. Housing prices are bringing a middle class down there and some of the surrounding suburbs are getting pretty ritzy

Apparently not long ago it was a pleasant little fishing town

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i wouldn't be catching a train in or out of Franga at night.
Pfft.

I go in and out of Armadale all the time.

That's like South Central LA compared to Frankston.

Lol

Frankston is definitely changing though. Long term it will lose that reputation. Housing prices are bringing a middle class down there and some of the surrounding suburbs are getting pretty ritzy

The Pines will ensure that’s never fully the case. I say this as a bloke who half grew up in public housing there.

Frankston and the Peninsula is virtually another world compared to Melbourne. Plenty of people who won't go north of Patterson Lakes down there.

I think itd actually be good for the game.

Bull s**t

Spent 22 years living down there, and you spent as much time in stkilda/south melbourne/prahran as you did frankston.

Bull s**t

Spent 22 years living down there, and you spent as much time in stkilda/south melbourne/prahran as you did frankston.
I work and know shitloads of people down there who simply won't unless they have to. Lack of transport options, distance and access.

I work and know shitloads of people down there who simply won't unless they have to. Lack of transport options, distance and access.

lol - lack of transport options?

you have a whole friggin train line and the nepean highway for easy city access

distance is a bitch (its an expensive cab ride at 5am), but the rest is rubbish

I had more issues getting in and out of the city when i lived in the eastern suburbs than down there.

and lol at you working down there and thinking you know what its like to live down there

lol - lack of transport options?

you have a whole friggin train line and the nepean highway for easy city access

distance is a bitch (its an expensive cab ride at 5am), but the rest is rubbish

I had more issues getting in and out of the city when i lived in the eastern suburbs than down there.

and lol at you working down there and thinking you know what its like to live down there
Easy city access? The Nepean? Kidding right? It's actually faster to go Eastlink -> Monash than the Nepean such is the traffic (and lights) if you are going into the city.

And Theseventhhamster is right with the PT, takes forever on the trains.

Working down there = dealing with Frankston and Peninsula logistics. None of my colleagues will consider a night out in the CBD without booking a hotel room - and half the time it's cheaper anyway. There is a real transport disconnect, and while you might be willing to see past it, plenty of people can't.

Easy city access? The Nepean? Kidding right? It's actually faster to go Eastlink -> Monash than the Nepean such is the traffic (and lights) if you are going into the city.

And Theseventhhamster is right with the PT, takes forever on the trains.

Working down there = dealing with Frankston and Peninsula logistics. None of my colleagues will consider a night out in the CBD without booking a hotel room - and half the time it's cheaper anyway. There is a real transport disconnect, and while you might be willing to see past it, plenty of people can't.

Booking a hotel room? Lol, you really have no idea

Frankston had a booming nightlife back in the late 90's. Busy joints on all 4 corners including the famous 21st. lol. Think the locals tend to go to Mornington these days. Teenagers still head up to the city on the train.

I moved when I got a job in the city. Just too ******* far to commute. Property prices have gone nuts in the last few years. Reckon most of the local white trash will be squeezed out in the next few years and it'll become another hipster-ish suburb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back