Admin Announcement Fred, long time BigFooty Admin, passed away on Saturday night. Funeral Sunday 30th at 1pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Been traveling the last couple of weeks and just caught this thread now on the MB. Horrible news.

RIP Fred.

Chief
As a suggestion, could we have like a "Remembrance Board" somewhere on BF, where this thread, and the other RIP threads of Lidge, Cammo, Toots, Jozeph, etc (I'm sure I've missed a couple more) can reside?

Sad news.

He once kicked me off GD for posting a picture from the movie Spanglish.

On reflection he was right.
I was going to say, that's your own bloody fault.

After a long battle with cancer, long time member and admin of BigFooty, Fred, passed away on Saturday night.

Fred was a big part of BigFooty for over a decade and will be missed by all who knew him.

A message from his family:

Sadly I write to let you know that Ian (Fred) passed away last night. He was peaceful and slipped away quietly. A Saint to the end he will be buried in his St Kilda scarf. RIP Ian.

Thank you for sending messages which were read to him.

Funeral service:

The funeral for Ian Roper will be a graveside service at Echuca Cemetery on Sunday April 30 at 1pm.

Anyone from the Bigfooty community will be most welcome.

Flowers:
Send to
Kyabram Funerals
119 Albion St
Kyabram

They will bring them to the funeral.

Make a donation:
You can also donate to Bowel Cancer Australia:
https://www.bowelcanceraustralia.org/donate

I have seen a few people on this site pass or be in ill health of late, it makes you reflect on the frailty of life and just how finite and precious our time here is, it is gone too soon.

It doesn't matter the team someone supports or if they are an admin or just a supporter going through the roller-coaster of emotions that football generates, we are all here sharing our time together, all part of the Big Footy family.

Fred has been here for a very long time and has left his mark on making this place what it is today, it has come a very long way since I joined and he has helped to make it a better place and will be missed.

My condolences to his friends and family, and to the BF people who knew him well. Rest in peace.

I've been away from BF for a while and have only just out this sad news.

I have no doubt he put in a lot of work behind the scenes with BigFooty, unseen to the vast majority.

I had a few "discussions" with him behind the scenes over mod rulings and he was very good at putting me in my place. :)

Rest in peace mate. :heart:

I've been away from BF for a while and have only just out this sad news.

I have no doubt he put in a lot of work behind the scenes with BigFooty, unseen to the vast majority.

I had a few "discussions" with him behind the scenes over mod rulings and he was very good at putting me in my place. :)

Rest in peace mate. :heart:

R.I.P.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming back to Big Footy after an enforced absence to find this makes me very sad.

Fred was an awesome guy. And he he did a huge power of work to make BF what it is today.

Met him one day, he took the train down to Southern Cross, and he said to me, "I'll be the crazy old guy wearing the cowboy hat. You can't miss me"

I didn't miss him then. But I do now.

Coming back to Big Footy after an enforced absence to find this makes me very sad.

Fred was an awesome guy. And he he did a huge power of work to make BF what it is today.

Met him one day, he took the train down to Southern Cross, and he said to me, "I'll be the crazy old guy wearing the cowboy hat. You can't miss me"

Good to see you Grizz. Having been away, it would be like it just happened for you. We've lost a couple over the past 18 months.

Good to see you Grizz. Having been away, it would be like it just happened for you. We've lost a couple over the past 18 months.

Hey mate, hope you're well. Yes, it is like that. I knew, obviously, he was very sick, but yeah it's like new and horrible.

Last edited:

Welcome back Grizz. Sorry about the bad news when you've first logged back in. Hope you're well mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back