Free AFL Live Pass for select Telstra Mobile customers

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Spoted a thread on the main board & I know some here don't venture there so I thought a thread here might be useful.

Mods, I just posted this in a new thread for visibility, feel free to merge with the existing AFL Live Pass (but update the thread topic if possible). Thanks.

This was posted in the other thread by glasto so credit to him as well:

Here's the full details from Telstra site:
https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/sport/sports-offer-eoi

To get your pass, dial #820# with your compatible Telstra mobile and follow the prompts.

Then you'll get a SMS with links to select either an AFL or a NRL pass

Things you need to know
You must be on a consumer or small business Telstra post-paid mobile plan
One 2016 Footy Pass per customer (NRL or AFL). Redeem offer by 31 December 2016 using your compatible Telstra mobile on the Telstra mobile network. Pass expires 31 January 2017.
Existing Telstra AFL Live Pass or NRL Digital Pass holders are also eligible for one 2016 Footy Pass if they are on an eligible Telstra mobile plan.
If you’re an existing subscriber, and you are eligible for our 2016 Footy Pass, ongoing subscription payments for your NRL Digital Pass or AFL Live Pass will automatically stop when you activate the 2016 Footy Pass, unless you subscribed through an app store. If you purchased your AFL or NRL subscription through an app store, cancel with the iOS App store or Google Play Store
You must have a compatible device. The pass is for use in Australia only.
For compatible devices, visit AFL FAQs here or NRL FAQs here.Not available with any other offer or promotion.
This 2016 Footy Pass is included as part of your eligible Telstra plan. You will not see this appear on your bill.
Standard data charges apply when downloading or using the NRL or AFL app. Video data usage is currently unmetered only for eligible Telstra customers using a compatible device in Australia.

Just got my free pass working, us Telstra suckers customers got to have a win now & then, no?;)

Just saw it on ozbargain. Already have a subscription from June last year so will wait till then to do it. But it's great they are finally doing these things for telstra customers.

Just saw it on ozbargain. Already have a subscription from June last year so will wait till then to do it. But it's great they are finally doing these things for telstra customers.
you might be able to get a refund if you do it now, also I don't think waiting will get you any extra time. Having activated last night I'm listed as my next renewal on: 31/01/2017

you might be able to get a refund if you do it now, also I don't think waiting will get you any extra time. Having activated last night I'm listed as my next renewal on: 31/01/2017
If it's January I'll just go ahead and do it. Got it for free last year as part of recontracting so wouldn't be able to get a refund. :)

Winning.

Is there an iPhone to HDMI cable? Does such a thing exist? Hopefully the quality stands up on a TV.

You can sync your phone to a lap top watch the stream on your PC and then use a normal HDMI form PC to TV.

It worked when I tried last year but the picture was pretty bad. Not sure if phone direct to TV will be any better.

You can also get a free trial of the AFL live pass for the duration of the NAB challenge.
https://id.afl.com.au/livepass?cid=NABLivePassHomepageTile

If you have an Apple TV (device that plugs into the HDMI port on a normal TV and allows video streaming to the TV over wifi) and an iPhone/iPod/iPad with the AFL app, you can use the settings that slide up from the bottom of the iThing screen to AirPlay 'mirror' it on to your TV. They've blocked the normal airplay button from the video playback screen, but if you turn on screen mirroring then it works. I think I usually use my phone because then you get it in widescreen with no clock at the top, whereas the iPad screen is a different aspect ratio and you get weird black borders on your TV. (I don't have Foxtel so this is what I do when the game isn't broadcast on channel 7). The quality is *not terrible*. edit: Having done my first test for 2016, its actually pretty decent :D They must've improved it since last year. Not too pixelly, although there is a bit of speed blur. The attached screencap is probably the worst it gets once its buffered. But then my internet connection is also crap, so....

View attachment 220262

I think there is a way of doing it with the Android equivalents, but I don't know because I don't own those products :p

This is what I do. Worked really well for me on Saturday.

Apple TVs do cost a bit and the latest ones have more features and are dearer, but getting one has been the best investment for me. You can use Netflix, YouTube, access the iTunes Store or your iTunes library on a computer and a bunch of other things on there as well. The new ones have the AppStore and you can get games as well (I have an old one).

I have more apple products than I can count so I'm probably not the person to ask about android stuff haha.

This is what I do. Worked really well for me on Saturday.

Apple TVs do cost a bit and the latest ones have more features and are dearer, but getting one has been the best investment for me. You can use Netflix, YouTube, access the iTunes Store or your iTunes library on a computer and a bunch of other things on there as well. The new ones have the AppStore and you can get games as well (I have an old one).

I have more apple products than I can count so I'm probably not the person to ask about android stuff haha.
My TV can do all those things for me. But I've got an Apple TV so I'll give it a go tomorrow night to see how the quality stands up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't dial the number.

Your phone must be like mine, I've been looking for the hash symbol everywhere. Maybe it's the red button on the left.

(in seriousness, I had to do it a few times on my iPhone before it worked. You just punch in the digits then press the call and it goes to a weird screen for a while).

Cheers for the heads-up Rumply. This is a good win!
phone.jpg

I just followed those instructions and signed up. I did notice it said subscription type or something similar as weekly, 5.99. Hoping this doesn't mean i will be charged? As i am a longtime telstra post paid customer. Did anyone else notice that?

I just followed those instructions and signed up. I did notice it said subscription type or something similar as weekly, 5.99. Hoping this doesn't mean i will be charged? As i am a longtime telstra post paid customer. Did anyone else notice that?

No didnt notice anything like that, I did see something about a postpaid subscription though but no reference to any fees.

I will be keeping an eye out early next year though as I reckon they might try slipping through an automatic renewal for the next season, Ive heard others have had a go at that in the past...

Chromecast for Android phones. Apple TV for Apple products, but ATV works out to be over $100 compared to the $50 Chromecast. HDMI to IPhone is about $75 so it's not cheap either.
I can chromecast the afl app on iPad, but can't get any sound :/

How on earth are you chromecasting using an apple product? I was under the impression you needed the Chromecast feature in the app to do it unless you cast the screen, which you can't do on an Apple product.

Ahh my bad. I forgot I had the afl app on my phone too. So I must have ben chromecasting off that.

Got the stream going into the PC via side sync (Samsung) and onto the TV via HDMI.

Picture is good enough. Not perfect definitely watchable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back