Status
Not open for further replies.

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
As this topic seems to have garnered a descent conversation on the rumour thread, I thought it best to open up its own thread as this will no doubt run all year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-11/the-big-free-agency-targets-in-2014

Carlton - Bryce Gibbs, Michael Jamison, Marc Murphy, Heath Scotland, Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite, Andrew Walker
What are our thoughts on who is most vulnerable from our list, as well as who are likely targets?

I think Walker is the one most likely to be on the move. That is not to say it will happen, but the fact he was shopping around a few years ago means he is open to the idea. That being said he wasn't playing where he wanted to be playing. Hopefully he has a good relationship with Malthouse. Gibbs would be the other one perhaps as he could be shown some big $$$ elsewhere and that may tempt him.

From other clubs, I really do think we are a realistic chance to get Goldsack and i think that would be a stella get for us. I also think Harry O'Brien will walk but I am not sure if our club will be interested. I certainly know the majority of supporters aren't keen on him. Dane Swan could be an interesting one. I think he will go as well as the exodus from Buckley continues.

Kensa Carter

Team Captain
May 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Have a feeling we'll lose my two favs Walker and Gibbs.

Gives us more cash to lock Tom Boyd in for fifteen seasons. Joking?

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think in the next two years our aim should be to sign one of Frawley or Reid as FA's, if not we go for those homesick youngsters in the trade then hit the draft hard.

Priority must be to sign all those players mentioned. I don't think Walks will move. He never asked for a trade during the clubs dark times and with a new coach and the early 2000s penalties finally wearing off, I think he'll stick around.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I think in the next two years our aim should be to sign one of Frawley or Reid as FA's, if not we go for those homesick youngsters in the trade then hit the draft hard.

Priority must be to sign all those players mentioned. I don't think Walks will move. He never asked for a trade during the clubs dark times and with a new coach and the early 2000s penalties finally wearing off, I think he'll stick around.

Shopped himself around like a bit of Amsterdam window dressing.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
The way I remember it the club put him on the table due to attitude? Happy to be proven wrong.

Quite keen to move on account of being played out of positions (in his opinion)....Adelaide thankfully went for Tambling, then get's a reprieve forward for a year and sure showed em, and now returns to the backline where he was originally unhappy and plays the best footy of his career. Go figure.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Quite keen to move on account of being played out of positions (in his opinion)....Adelaide thankfully went for Tambling, then get's a reprieve forward for a year and sure showed em, and now returns to the backline where he was originally unhappy and plays the best footy of his career. Go figure.

Very thankful that he made the right decision.

Interesting that he is quite happy to play in the backline under MM but under Ratts he was unhappy. Maybe it was more to do with the coach? Or maybe he is just to scared to threaten Mick with a move out :D

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Bryce Gibbs- Will be the targeted by other clubs. Seems settled at Carlton. Hope he stays. Just about to come into his prime
Michael Jamison- Not going anywhere.
Marc Murphy- Skipper. Not going anywhere
Heath Scotland- Will either retire or be at Carlton. Most likely retire
Kade Simpson - Not going anywhere
Jarrad Waite - Retire or at Carlton. No chance of moving.
Andrew Walker- About to go on Vets list. Will be targeted but hopefully he wants to play out his career a one club player.

Blueboiiz

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Fc Barcelona, OKC Thunder
I don't think Gibbs will leave. Has good mates at the club and was playing well.

The first one to put their contract talks on hold until the end of the year to "concentrate on football" will be the first one to have fielded offers from other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. Could we reasonably expect to lose 1 and pick 1 up?

May well lose at least one.

Tipping we have a crack at a couple, not sure how successful that will be. Anyone over 195cms is likely to be on the radar.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
As this topic seems to have garnered a descent conversation on the rumour thread, I thought it best to open up its own thread as this will no doubt run all year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-11/the-big-free-agency-targets-in-2014

Carlton - Bryce Gibbs, Michael Jamison, Marc Murphy, Heath Scotland, Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite, Andrew Walker
What are our thoughts on who is most vulnerable from our list, as well as who are likely targets?

I think Walker is the one most likely to be on the move. That is not to say it will happen, but the fact he was shopping around a few years ago means he is open to the idea. That being said he wasn't playing where he wanted to be playing. Hopefully he has a good relationship with Malthouse. Gibbs would be the other one perhaps as he could be shown some big $$$ elsewhere and that may tempt him.

From other clubs, I really do think we are a realistic chance to get Goldsack and i think that would be a stella get for us. I also think Harry O'Brien will walk but I am not sure if our club will be interested. I certainly know the majority of supporters aren't keen on him. Dane Swan could be an interesting one. I think he will go as well as the exodus from Buckley continues.

Walker May have shopped around in 2010 however he has said countless times since then that he hated doing it and was only doing it because he felt he had no other choice. Only way he goes is if he gets offered too much money that we won't match and he moves for the better of his family.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Really difficult to know who'll stay. I would've locked Betts in at the start of 2013.

True. But the difference is players like Walker and Gibbs etc deserve big bucks and the club would match offers if need be for those two. However, a small forward like Eddie, you can't justify that sort of money and the club was never going to match it given his age and our surplus of younger small forwards.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Srsly though…you'll need to think of a Melb club with the cap space, coz Gibba ain't leaving Victoria. FACT.

And stop calling me Shirley.

And even then it would probably take a club offering him 1mil a year for us not to match. The club won't be willing to give up Gibbs. Or Tex.

We all understood it was good list management letting Eddie go given our list balance etc. However, players like Gibbs and Walker would be worth matching offers given their position, talent and versatility. And don't think the club will let Adelaide raid us again - Sticks was not happy with Adelaide when they poached Eddie, don't think he's going to let Gibbs go too. Or anyone else for that matter.

Azul

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 22, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd expect Hawthorn to be active, after losing Murphy, Young, Ellis and Franklin in the previous 2 FA periods - Jamison, Reid and Frawley targets to take over from Lake, who'll turn 33 for the 2015 season.

Nick Smith is the one I'd target - a mentor to Docherty.

Shaun Higgins would excite me if he could recapture his pre-injury form.

But if we lost a free agent, e.g. Gibbs, I'd use the first round compensation pick.

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
I'd expect Hawthorn to be active, after losing Murphy, Young, Ellis and Franklin in the previous 2 FA periods - Jamison, Reid and Frawley targets to take over from Lake, who'll turn 33 for the 2015 season.

Reckon they'll go hard after Frawley - especially if Melbourne don't show any signs of improvement this year at all - and will get him.

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
Hard to get South Australians out of Adelaide. But definitely worth a go. Westie plays like Casboult 2.0

Westhoff is a much different player to Casboult. Much more mobile, has the ability to play higher up the ground and is a good disposal of the football. Cas will break more packs and can pinch hit in the ruck, but i wouldn't see them being anything similar apart from height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back