List Mgmt. Free Agency 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that we won't be losing any FAs (except maybe Waite but that will only happen if we choose not to offer him a new contract) I wouldn't be against us bringing in a FA as it wouldn't take away any of our compensation picks.

Frawley would be the ideal one. But given our current form, I can't see us getting him over other teams, and if we did you'd think it's cause we offered way too much money.

I would argue that as a KPF on exposed for Frawley is probably worth around $650,000.

Would love him in our side regardless as a KPF/KPD - but I've been impressed with his leading/marking as a forward.
Same. And given we won't be losing any FAs this year, it would only cost us cap space. But can't see him picking us.

Shaun Higgins (Footscray) - is a very good ball user but for some reason has gone off the boil over the past few seasons. Apparently he is looking for more time in the midfield and that is certainly something we can offer him if Carrazzo, McLean etc get shown the door. He'd cost us about $400,000 which may be a little excessive but seeing as he has just turned 26, it makes him an ideal target IMO as we would get around 4-5 years out of him when he should be in his prime. One thing we can dangle in front of him is the chance to play regular finals shortly, something the Bulldogs may not.

Higgins is an interesting one and I am intrigued to see what happens with him. Wouldn't rule out him staying at the Dogs but he'll have plenty of suitors should he decide to test the market.

He's certainly a classy player and the ability to add someone of his ilk without giving away anything other than $$ will appeal particularly to those who believe they are on the cusp of a premiership.

I'd be surprised if we went after him. Despite his obvious talents he's extremely injury prone and therefore is quite a significant risk for any club to take on. I don't believe we're in a position to go down that path despite the clear advantages to bringing him in.

In my mind the two best fits for Higgins if he does decide to leave would be Collingwood and Hawthorn and I can see both those clubs going after him quite strongly.

Tyson Goldsack (Coll) - I really don't want us to keep taking from the Pies but I cannot help but be impressed with his attack on the contest and the fact that he can play both ends of the ground. The journos say he is on or asking around $325,000 a season from the Pies and $375,000-$400,000 would get it done. The "Malthouse" factor could be a defining issue as well.

This is the one I've been saying since the beginning of the season. Makes perfect sense IMO and not just because of his connections to Malthouse.

MM loves players who can bring real versatility and one of Goldsack's main strengths is exactly that. Clearly not a star and never will be but he is a very solid footballer who can have a real impact at either end of the ground. This year we've seen him mainly play deep forward but there have been times where he's been moved back out of necessity and he's performed very well there also.

At 193cm he's no giant but he does have some very good size about him. Not only can he play at either end but he can also be used on a variety of opponent with the ability to play both tall and small.

The real positive to his game is, as you note, his attack on the contest and his defensive pressure. Averages over 5 and a half tackles per game which is frankly superb for a player of his height. A real leader in terms of the pressure he applies and the difference in Collingwood's forward pressure when he is there compared to when he isn't is significant and very noticeable.

I'd be thrilled to see him at Carlton next year as a relatively cheap acquisition and a player who can really make a difference particularly in terms of applying pressure and playing with sustained effort over 4 quarters.

i would agree regarding Frawley...but at that price....no thanks! which would basically put us out of the game to get him.
Not really because that price isn't true and Geelong or Hawthorn won't pay that to get him. Frawley will have to fit into their salary structures.

However, in order to convince a Frawley to choose us over Geelong or Hawthorn, it is most likely we'd have to over pay.

Higgins is an interesting one and I am intrigued to see what happens with him. Wouldn't rule out him staying at the Dogs but he'll have plenty of suitors should he decide to test the market.

He's certainly a classy player and the ability to add someone of his ilk without giving away anything other than $$ will appeal particularly to those who believe they are on the cusp of a premiership.

I'd be surprised if we went after him. Despite his obvious talents he's extremely injury prone and therefore is quite a significant risk for any club to take on. I don't believe we're in a position to go down that path despite the clear advantages to bringing him in.

In my mind the two best fits for Higgins if he does decide to leave would be Collingwood and Hawthorn and I can see both those clubs going after him quite strongly.

This is the one I've been saying since the beginning of the season. Makes perfect sense IMO and not just because of his connections to Malthouse.

MM loves players who can bring real versatility and one of Goldsack's main strengths is exactly that. Clearly not a star and never will be but he is a very solid footballer who can have a real impact at either end of the ground. This year we've seen him mainly play deep forward but there have been times where he's been moved back out of necessity and he's performed very well there also.

At 193cm he's no giant but he does have some very good size about him. Not only can he play at either end but he can also be used on a variety of opponent with the ability to play both tall and small.

The real positive to his game is, as you note, his attack on the contest and his defensive pressure. Averages over 5 and a half tackles per game which is frankly superb for a player of his height. A real leader in terms of the pressure he applies and the difference in Collingwood's forward pressure when he is there compared to when he isn't is significant and very noticeable.

I'd be thrilled to see him at Carlton next year as a relatively cheap acquisition and a player who can really make a difference particularly in terms of applying pressure and playing with sustained effort over 4 quarters.

Collingwood won't let us get Goldsack cheaply ;)

Goldasck I'd consider, but I think we already have someone similar in Everitt...if we weren't paying too much I'd be ok with it though.

Goldsack might be a similar height to Everitt but that's just about where the comparison ends.

Andrejs has shown himself to be capable of playing through the midfield but his effectiveness is limited when asked to play as a tall defender or forward.

Goldsack is the opposite - can impact a game at either end of the ground but he's not someone you'd be looking at bringing in to add directly to the midfield rotations.

i would agree regarding Frawley...but at that price....no thanks! which would basically put us out of the game to get him.

We're a bottom-8 club, how exactly are we in salary cap difficulty that we can't afford another free-agent? :confused:

I have hoped we'd cleared the backlog of overpaid underachievers.

We currently only have a squad of 34 players. (2 players short at the beginning of the season, plus losing Duigan and Bootsma)

We're a bottom-8 club, how exactly are we in salary cap difficulty that we can't afford another free-agent? :confused:

We currently only have a squad of 34 players. (2 players short at the beginning of the season, plus losing Duigan and Bootsma)
It's not that we can't afford Frawley. It's that he isn't worth the 750 it would take to get him to choose us over more successful teams.

Frawley is a player that honestly is worth around the 500-600k mark. Yes he has great hands but has a few weaknesses as well while being no superstar at all, just an honest player and certainly not worth anything over 650k a season IMO.

We would be better off drafting a young kid and putting the time into him with our first selection in the draft instead of offering Frawley what he wants which is around the 800k range.

Pies did this with Jessie White ( although not 800k )and he is a total spud in the Hampson mould of player.

sorry..to be honest i dont know how much we have in the salary cap to play with...but at the asking price why would we bother?
I just think at that price hes over rated, i would be pee'd if we paid more than 5-600k a year for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldsack might be a similar height to Everitt but that's just about where the comparison ends.

Andrejs has shown himself to be capable of playing through the midfield but his effectiveness is limited when asked to play as a tall defender or forward.

Goldsack is the opposite - can impact a game at either end of the ground but he's not someone you'd be looking at bringing in to add directly to the midfield rotations.
fair enough...for my mind hes similar to Everittt...just an opinion.
And I could have sworn Everitts been playing some lock down roles in the forward and backlines...and to extent the wing but I dont think Ive seen him in the middle.

I'm not basing it on Jon Ralph's article - i've had this gut feeling for a while now.
I suspect it stems from the fact that he was taken from the Crows clutches prior to the draft.
Even though he has settled into Melbourne life I suspect the pull from Adelaide will be too great for him to turn down.
You score zero for instinct

More power to you guys if you try to get him, but Tyson has made it pretty clear he is keen to stay a pie. I believe his management are currently in negotiations with the pies.
And his relationship with MM is unfortunately not an advantage for you guys. He was always a fringe player under Mick, whereas Bucks has always had him as a solid 22 player. Been told by a friend inside the club that he has a way better relationship with Bucks than he had with MM. Same as Beams.

This team is not one player away from being decent.

Unless we can get a 25yo star midfielder or a 60 goal forward, I would stay away from wasting coin at the moment.

Ship off dead weight senior listed players and get as low in the cap as legal. Have a good draft again the next two years (picking up three top mids and two top talls in that time) and chase FA in 2016 onwards.

I would make it my priority to chase as much cheap disgruntled first round talent from GWS and GC over the next three offseasons.

Realistically though you'd think the AFL becomes a dead rubber 2017-2022 anyway (the expansion dominance era), so I'm not even sure there is a point. Thanks Andy Dem

More power to you guys if you try to get him, but Tyson has made it pretty clear he is keen to stay a pie. I believe his management are currently in negotiations with the pies.
And his relationship with MM is unfortunately not an advantage for you guys. He was always a fringe player under Mick, whereas Bucks has always had him as a solid 22 player. Been told by a friend inside the club that he has a way better relationship with Bucks than he had with MM. Same as Beams.
10 clubs have contacted goldsack's management and he wont sign the deal Collingwood have presented to him.

10 clubs have contacted goldsack's management and he wont sign the deal Collingwood have presented to him.
Of course he won't. His management will be telling him to hold off signing so they can get the best possible deal for him, that's their job after all.
All I can tell you is the offer would have to be pretty amazing for him to leave.

Of course he won't. His management will be telling him to hold off signing so they can get the best possible deal for him, that's their job after all.
All I can tell you is the offer would have to be pretty amazing for him to leave.
That's fine with me. Just informing you of the current circumstances. And that Collingwood would have preferred he signed months ago.

This belongs in the rumour thread and i have posted it, but apparently he is not happy with Bucks and wants a change of clubs at years end. Whether thats us or someone else I dont know, but the MM factor would certainly put those odds a little better for us.

The guy was just a mate of Goldsack (also friends with Hodge), so you can take it for a grain of salt if you want. Also it was pre season so you dont know if attitudes have changed in that time. Of course he still hasnt signed yet so the evidence is things havent changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back