Stephen Coniglio (GWS GIANTS)
Brandon Ellis (Richmond)
Jack Newnes (St Kilda)

2019 Unrestricted Free Agents

Sam Jacobs (Adelaide Crows)
Richard Douglas (Adelaide Crows)
David Mackay (Adelaide Crows)
Andy Otten (Adelaide Crows)
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (Rookie, Adelaide Crows)
Ryan Lester (Brisbane Lions)
Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)
Ed Curnow (Carlton)
Levi Casboult (Carlton)
Kade Simpson (Carlton)
Ben Reid (Collingwood)
Jamie Elliot (Collingwood)
Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood)
Mark Baguley (Essendon)
David Myers (Essendon)
Stephen Hill (Fremantle)
David Mundy (Fremantle)
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)
Hayden Ballantyne (Fremantle)
Harry Taylor (Geelong Cats)
Jed Bews (Geelong Cats)
Sam Day (Gold Coast SUNS)
Tom Nicholls (Gold Coast SUNS)
Alex Sexton (Gold Coast SUNS)
Michael Rischitelli (Rookie, Gold Coast SUNS)
Adam Tomlinson (GWS GIANTS)
Matthew Buntine (GWS GIANTS)
Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
Shaun Burgoyne (Hawthorn)
Paul Puopolo (Hawthorn)
Ryan Schoenmakers (Hawthorn)
Ben Stratton (Hawthorn)
Nathan Jones (Melbourne)
Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne)
Majak Daw (North Melbourne)
Scott Thompson (North Melbourne)
Sam Wright (North Melbourne)
Matthew Broadbent (Port Adelaide)
Justin Westhoff (Port Adelaide)
Shane Edwards (Richmond)
David Astbury (Richmond)
Bachar Houli (Richmond)
Shaun Grigg (Richmond)
David Armitage (St Kilda)
Jarryn Geary (St Kilda)
Harry Cunningham (Sydney Swans)
Heath Grundy (Sydney Swans)
Jarrad McVeigh (Sydney Swans)
Nick Smith (Sydney Swans)
Nic Naitanui (West Coast Eagles)
Chris Masten (West Coast Eagles)
Will Schofield (West Coast Eagles)
Fraser McInnes (Rookie, West Coast Eagles)
Tory Dickson (Western Bulldogs)
Tom Liberatore (Western Bulldogs)
Dale Morris (Western Bulldogs)
Liam Picken (Western Bulldogs)
Fletcher Roberts (Western Bulldogs)
How are the crows going to lock down all those 💪

Shane Edwards would be the one i would like to target here. Would give a couple of good years. Super smooth still.
I think the last thing our list needs is another 30 year old. If we are going to bring in players through trade or free agency then we should target the 21-26 age range. If that’s not possible then we should head back to the draft and build a warchest because there are some quality young SA players out of contract at the end of next year, Lukosius, Rankine, Hayward, Cox. In an ideal world Schofield jnr will be a top draft pick and, like North last year, we’ll have no need to keep our top pick.

We also have an awkward list profile of lots of players 28+ and lots under 21. It’s good to have lots of youth deserving games at the moment but still need to be careful that we don’t create a cliff.

Last edited:
Love to get Conigilio, but no chance.

I'd take Stephen Hill 2011-16 version. 2017 wasn't too bad but last year injuries affected his output. Reckon he is the best corridor player of this decade.

It would cost more than $1M to get Coniglio. Obviously the guy is a star, but let's be honest, he is not coming here. Don't think there is any free agents I would go after this year. Maybe Sexton but Gold Coast will throw enough money at him to mean it's likely he stays.

Because, he is a West Australian probably in the top 10 players in the comp. He could stay where he is on big coin. He could go back to WA, or a big Vic club. It's not just the money from his contract, it's the off field, marketing money he could make. We just don't have the financial clout to provide the opportunities to attract a Top 10 player in the comp. Sure, ask the question, do due diligence, but at the end of the day, our playing list is decent, but not elite. So no premiership lure and financially it doesn't make sense for him to move here. I'd love to be wrong, but it isn't going to happen. Save our resources for another target, maybe not this year, have another shot at the draft, see if there is anything we can target next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the last thing our list needs is another 30 year old. If we are going to bring in players through trade or free agency then we should target the 21-26 age range. If that’s not possible then we should head back to the draft and build a warchest because there are some quality young SA players out of contract at the end of next year, Lukosius, Rankine, Hayward, Cox. In an ideal world Schofield jnr will be a top draft pick and, like North last year, we’ll have no need to keep our top pick.

We also have an awkward list profile of lots of players 28+ and lots under 21. It’s good to have lots of youth deserving games at the moment but still need to be careful that we don’t create a cliff.
I dont agree. Edwards is a star and we will be bringing in young talent with FS picks in the next two years (Mead, Burgoyne, Schofield). I think hed be ideal with what will be a fairly young list.

If you got 3 years out of him that would be terrific.

We would be able to offer obscene money to Coniglio to be honest. Obscene. Who the hell is getting paid on our list now? That massive payday we gave Hartlett of 500k is pretty well average right now. There will be spuds getting paid that this off season. That 650k to Dixon is heading well into bargain territory with how high salaries are now. Lycett took a 550-600k payday I think and that’s pretty stock standard. Wines would be on big money but not that crazy. Motlops pay would be bog standard now what did he take 500k? Ryder one of our highest paid comes out of contract now and prob retiring or taking a big cut for a 1 year deal. No one in defense would be getting paid f all. Boak and gray would have been our highest paid but now at 30 they won’t be getting pay increases. Clurey might get a pay rise but doubt it would be big money at all. No one is about to get a big pay rise on the list.

We could in all likelihood blow most offers out of the water.

Having said that I don’t think Coniglio will be all about that money, and he will get paid wherever he goes anyway. It will likely be a hearts decision about where he wants to be, which probably makes it hard to land him when wa is home and Vic has former teammates and friends. We should be right into him but think it extremely extremely unlikely.

Love to get Conigilio, but no chance.

I'd take Stephen Hill 2011-16 version. 2017 wasn't too bad but last year injuries affected his output. Reckon he is the best corridor player of this decade.
I don’t know, in the words of Hans Solo, “I’ve got a funny feeling about this one.”

If we offered Coniglio $1m a season and we had just won the flag, do you think he'd come then?
If he thinks like Shane Crawford then probably not unless he believes we can go back to back, or win another one soon after that.

Crawford talked about the Port offer we made in 1996 and then Sydney one when he was on Ch 10's I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! a couple of months ago.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02...ford-reveals-port-adelaide-and-sydney-offers/
The 1999 Brownlow Medallist also revealed he agreed to join Sydney but would later change his mind after they went on to win the premiership in 2005. “I was so over Hawthorn, because we were changing coaches and whatever,” Crawford said.

“So I met with Sydney and I first agreed to go. I needed to go and walk away from all the leadership stuff. I needed to go and concentrate on myself and finishing enjoying footy, and I was really excited. “Then Sydney won their Grand Final about month later, and I said, ‘I’m not going’. “Because they won, if they had of lost … because they won, I just knew it wasn’t the right time to go now.”
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/02...ford-reveals-port-adelaide-and-sydney-offers/

If he thinks like Shane Crawford then probably not unless he believes we can go back to back, or win another one soon after that.

Crawford talked about the Port offer we made in 1996 and then Sydney one when he was on Ch 10's I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here! a couple of months ago.

The 1999 Brownlow Medallist also revealed he agreed to join Sydney but would later change his mind after they went on to win the premiership in 2005. “I was so over Hawthorn, because we were changing coaches and whatever,” Crawford said.

“So I met with Sydney and I first agreed to go. I needed to go and walk away from all the leadership stuff. I needed to go and concentrate on myself and finishing enjoying footy, and I was really excited. “Then Sydney won their Grand Final about month later, and I said, ‘I’m not going’. “Because they won, if they had of lost … because they won, I just knew it wasn’t the right time to go now.”

Crawford wanted to enjoy his football, and going to the premiers who would be scrutinised and hunted every week wasn’t going to help with that. He wanted relative anonymity - he was the exact opposite of Franklin.

If Coniglio is like that, he’ll stay at GWS regardless.

If he wants to leave, he’ll do what every free agent has done and go to the club that offers the best combination of money and potential success.

If he wants to leave, he’ll do what every free agent has done and go to the club that offers the best combination of money and potential success.
Thrown in the go home factor and the ASA and other long term non footy opportunities, and the WCE would have the front running.

Thrown in the go home factor and the ASA and other long term non footy opportunities, and the WCE would have the front running.

West Coast used their money to keep McGovern and Gaff. Their target this season is Kelly.

How is Nic Nat a UFA? Wasn’t there a big kerfuffle when he re-signed a few years back about him being on 800k+?

Ben Reid is the one i’d Be looking at. Injury ravaged, so should be cheapish. A change of scenery might be the best way to get his body right.

West Coast used their money to keep McGovern and Gaff. Their target this season is Kelly.
West Coast would cut players if they have to get him. Nick Nat comes out of contract and after 2ACL's he wont be commanding $900k+. Then there is back ending contracts, especially as current TV deal ends in 2022.

Coniglio would be returning home, Josh Kelly would be returning back to mum and dad's old home state, not his.

Edit Sorry my bad. I immediately though of Josh Kelly son of ex dual Sandover medalist Phil Kelly, who is out of contract at the end of this year, not Tm Kelly of Geelong going back home.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back