Free Agency Compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this has been explained properly, but I'll give it a go.

Band 1: Pick straight after 1st rounder (If you had pick 12, AFL gives pick 13)
Band 2: End of 1st Round (Pick 19 onwards depending how many are given out)
Band 3: Pick straight after 2nd rounder etc.

When Franklin went to Sydney, the Hawks won the premiership. Band 1 and 2 were therefore both Pick 19. If Hawthorn come last, they would've received pick 2 for Franklin on top of pick 1 from their ladder position.

Now, this year there are 17 1st rounders tied to finishing position due to GWS/Whitfield saga. Brisbane got pick 18 for Rockliff (Band 2, lowest placed side), followed by Geelong getting 19 (Band 2, next ranked side).

Is it fair that Franklin = Motlop due to both going for Pick 19? No. But those are the rules.

Those are or were the rules sure. But as I said you would think the fat cats at AFL house who are getting paid stupid amounts of money to administer the game would find the time to run a logic test over a couple of scenarios to see if their "formula" passed the basic sniff test.

Because to date they have run a root of this fa compo system. That and the match reveiw system are a shambles. They act more like politicians spending more time spinning crap or sweeping things under the carpet you really do have to wonder what is going on.

And there is the problem. If you win the premiership or finish anywhere near the top then there is no difference between band 1 and band 2 compensation, and there is no difference between band 3&4 either.

Hawks definitely got screwed with Buddy compo pick but equally a start of first round pick would not be equitable either.

It is interesting that no one has ever matched a free agency offer. That would be very different without compensation picks.

Without compensation everyone would match and it’d end up as a trade scenario so why not just scrap FA if compo doesn’t work...

It is interesting that no one has ever matched a free agency offer. That would be very different without compensation picks.

Had to wait 6 pages to read this. Good point, I think.

The AFLPA would probably then get rid of the "restricted" FA concept.

Without compensation everyone would match and it’d end up as a trade scenario so why not just scrap FA if compo doesn’t work...
Because the whole idea of Free Agency is about the player being able to move in order to either play with a club they want to or to maximise their contract value with another club.

If clubs all of a sudden start matching offers because there is no compensation, then the second reason is fulfilled as far as the player is concerned, they get a better contract. If they want to leave at the end of their contract then they leave anyway as happens in soccer everywhere, which is what Free Agency is all about.

Rather than wait to get a compensation pick for a free agent, clubs will be forced to either pay players their due to keep them thus spreading talent across the league a LITTLE further, or look to trade them whilst they still have value.

I also think that some additional trade periods might be an option, even a mid year trade period for players who come out of contract at the end of the year, but that might be a bridge too far.

I can not understand why all the other clubs are not querying the compo pick Geelong received. 19 is overs. AFL corruption at its best.

Yet in both instances players move clubs.
What a seriously dumb argument.

Trade period should be about contracted players wanting moves to other clubs.

If clubs are worried about losing a player for nothing then they can trade that player before his contract runs out.

This garbage that you get rewarded with a nice and handy pick because a player didn’t want to play for you anymore is a joke.

No other sporting league does it.

I understand the AFL would have had battling clubs in mind when it was created but instead it’s become a way for top clubs to get extra draft picks out of nowhere. Farcical.

If a team is in the top four they do not need a decent draft pick if one of their average players gets a big contract elsewhere and leaves.

Firstly there should be no compensation. If you lose a player that's bad luck or poor management.

If we are going to have FA compensation, then how do we have a complex SECRET formulae? How is that acceptable to anyone. How does the media not make more noise about it? I heard Stephen Wells on SEN this morning and he didn't know the formulae. He had an understanding of some of the determinants - which have been spoken about in the media since inception - but not the formula. It's so secret that club recruiting/list managers don't know it? It's staggering. The only explanation can be that there is not set defined formulae and the results are massaged.

Because it was a deal to appease AFLPA pay demands so it reduces the salary cost of all clubs and to ensure there are more player transfers. Failing a mechanism to facilitate player movement the rules are more likely to be challenged in court and more likely to be ruled an unreasonable restraint of trade. In other words, FA keeps equalisation measures in place. A lot of competitions have unrestricted m=movement of uncontracted players because that's what the law dictates.

Its not full compensation.

So you could argue the Buddy one wasn't completely unfair going off that.

But as for Frawley, Melbourne got about 3 times his worth. Thats been the biggest screw up so far for mine.

What a seriously dumb argument.

Trade period should be about contracted players wanting moves to other clubs.

If clubs are worried about losing a player for nothing then they can trade that player before his contract runs out.

This garbage that you get rewarded with a nice and handy pick because a player didn’t want to play for you anymore is a joke.

No other sporting league does it.

I understand the AFL would have had battling clubs in mind when it was created but instead it’s become a way for top clubs to get extra draft picks out of nowhere. Farcical.

If a team is in the top four they do not need a decent draft pick if one of their average players gets a big contract elsewhere and leaves.
The NFL (who the AFL likes to copy) do this. The formula is even a secret as well (based on new contract, playing time and awards).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back