Mega Thread Free agency discussion - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not sure why people want Sylvia to leave for i know he has never lived up to his talent but i think this year he has been solid, As for getting players the sad truth is no one of any note would want to come to this club at the moment.

We cant be happy if Sylvia walks at the end of the year for nothing, soon we will have most of our list under 25 which i dont think is a good idea.

Anyone in mind? I can't think of a quality midfielder in that age bracket who would want to leave his club for ours, or a club that would be willing to trade. Joel Selwood, Marc Murphy, Dayne Beams, Dangerfield, Martin, Cotchin, etc would be nice but there's buckleys we'd get them even if they were available.

No one in mind at all if I'm being honest. Would clearly have to be a bloody good midfielder to give up what will probably be the second pick in the draft. Even if we could get a good midfielder and just drop down picks (trade pick 2 for player and pick 8 or 9 for example) then we might want to go that way as well.

We cant be happy if Sylvia walks at the end of the year for nothing, soon we will have most of our list under 25 which i dont think is a good idea.

Don't think anyone is happy about it, but I can't see him signing another contract with us. I'd be happy to see him go but I'd prefer we got something for it.

Interesting that Sylvia is being brought up - Mark Stevens on Twitter saying the club wants to talk a new contract and Sylvia will decide soon on his plan of attack. Says that he would look good on a HFF for someone like the Pies but is known to be loyal and very grateful to the club. Shall be interesting to see which way he goes.

No one in mind at all if I'm being honest. Would clearly have to be a bloody good midfielder to give up what will probably be the second pick in the draft. Even if we could get a good midfielder and just drop down picks (trade pick 2 for player and pick 8 or 9 for example) then we might want to go that way as well.

Best bet for us is to pick up a few emerging young fringe players, like the Swans with Kennedy (and McGlynn). One thing we can offer anyone who can half play the game is a guaranteed spot every week. Probably have to pay them overs for the indignity of turning out for a team that has been embarrassing itself from week to week, but we should have plenty of room in the cap.

Problem with the trade period is that the other clubs know we're going to be desperate. We'll end up paying well over the odds there too. Not sure what we can do about it.

Alan Didak appears to be on the outer at Collingwood, looks past it but I reckon he needs a change of scenery. Unrestricted, so I wouldn't mind if we picked him up for nothing.

Alan Didak appears to be on the outer at Collingwood, looks past it but I reckon he needs a change of scenery. Unrestricted, so I wouldn't mind if we picked him up for nothing.

Has to be asked, but is he the right guy to help improve the overall "culture" of the club? It's only one guy I know but he doesn't have the greatest rep going around.

Why would we let Sylvia go? bar the Essendon game he's been a top performer for us this season given the circumstances and that he's been played just as much as a forward as a mid.

Wouldn't mind trying to lure classy rebouding half back Sam Docherty from Brisbane, although i don't think we should be trading our first 3 draft picks at this stage, we need them to build a long term midfield. Not sure what else we have that Brisbane would want.

Has to be asked, but is he the right guy to help improve the overall "culture" of the club? It's only one guy I know but he doesn't have the greatest rep going around.
I didn't think of that, and it's a very good point. Neeld would have coached him at Collingwood, so he'd have to know the answer to that question.

I think we would all be with you on that one, but we need to lure someone who can play and we aren't all that attractive at the moment. If there isn't someone with talent willing to come, then we sit on the money a bit and wait for the right players over the next 2-3 years.
We can't sit on money mate, minimum cap spend.

Why would we let Sylvia go? bar the Essendon game he's been a top performer for us this season given the circumstances and that he's been played just as much as a forward as a mid.
100% agree, have been largely disappointed with his career but believe he has really put in this season and would hate to see him walk.
Have heard he is a pretty loyal bloke who believes the club has been very good to him, hope he stays but would understand if he went to a club in contention as this is what free agency is all about.
Until we become a contender we will struggle to hold on to our better players as will the other lowly ranked clubs.

Col has gone some way toward restoring my confidence in him this season. If he signs with us again I'd have big respect for him.

Although I do worry that he's just doing his best to increase his value before leaving. Time will tell I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think of that, and it's a very good point. Neeld would have coached him at Collingwood, so he'd have to know the answer to that question.

True. I wouldn't say no straight up to him although I think his body might be past it now. He is worth a look if he came for free though.

We can't sit on money mate, minimum cap spend.

True, although we can front end some contracts so we are paying the minimum cap spend. Paying Clark and Dawes, for example, a larger chunk of their contracts would go some way to doing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back