Free Agency/Trade Period 2020 - Oct 30th - Nov 12th

Remove this Banner Ad

There is every year a lot of disagreement and annoyance around the compensation for free agents. As the compensation is calculated on the contract by the club the player is going to, there is the potential for figure adjustment to try and impact the compensation.
I've been thinking about this, and I believe the compensation is based upon the wrong contract.
The contract which should be being used as the basis, should be the one that the team that the player is leaving, offers the player. Effectively, that is their true value, and not the inflated contract given to entice the player to leave.

The flow on effects are then:
  • Inflated contracts are not used as the calculation
  • If a team offers an inflated contract to raise the compensation they have the risk the player stays and accepts the contract
The scenario where this could come astray is where a team offers a lower contract to leave where the current team inflates the contract value. I think this scenario is quite rare, as the risk is on the current team but this could be avoided by the option that the contract with the lowest value could be used for the calculation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And GWS have done well to turn that into Hogan. Cheap probably due to his struggles with injury etc. But preparing for Cameron’s departure at a minimal cost is smart, especially with their cap issues. Probably crossing their fingers he can reach some of his potential whilst there.

Was a disaster of a trade for Freo though. 6 and 23 to bring him over. Ouch.

If the PSD is a threat that you can use against Adelaide for Crouch, then surely it's an even greater threat to use against the 'stains for Saad?

More teams ahead of St Kilda in the draft and Crouch arguably a better proposition (being a midfielder as opposed to a HBF).

If the PSD is a threat that you can use against Adelaide for Crouch, then surely it's an even greater threat to use against the 'stains for Saad?

More teams ahead of St Kilda in the draft and Crouch arguably a better proposition (being a midfielder as opposed to a HBF).

Precisely

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back