Taylor Duryea^
Ryan Gardner*
Will Hayes*
Lin Jong
Tom Liberatore
Stefan Martin^
Roarke Smith*
Mitch Wallis

It certainly has the potential to be a bumper FA year, that said, we're not a realistic player to bring anyone of note in looking at where we are at in the rebuild.

Depending on how our kids go, it might open a very interesting problem with us potentially needing to decide whether we want to go hard at keeping Crouch, or Laird.

The only direction for free agents at this club should be out

Yup, we're a seller.

Though, if you want a somewhat crazy idea, I could see justification on trying to lure Joel Selwood across (especially if we opted to move one of Crouch/Laird on). Old head who has been in a consistent finals side and would suit our game plan that we're trying to build (as much as I don't expect him to play, just he'll probably be a good mentor to Berry, Pedlar and co). Especially if he is interested in coaching after football.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
It certainly has the potential to be a bumper FA year, that said, we're not a realistic player to bring anyone of note in looking at where we are at in the rebuild.

Depending on how our kids go, it might open a very interesting problem with us potentially needing to decide whether we want to go hard at keeping Crouch, or Laird.
Laird Yes ......Crouch No, he's not essential to our future

Laird Yes ......Crouch No, he's not essential to our future

Neither are outside of being that experienced hand for our midfield. Laird is 27 this year and Crouch is way too much of a one trick pony to be genuinely worth building around.

You probably keep both seeing it's really a year too early to look at moving on, but for me, the best case scenario from our kids sees us keep Laird and trade Matt.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Neither are outside of being that experienced hand for our midfield. Laird is 27 this year and Crouch is too narrow of a player to really build around in this era.

You probably keep both seeing it's really a year too early to look at moving on, but for me, the best case scenario from our kids sees us keep Laird and trade Matt.
I'm seeing an increasing open game, faster thru the midefield .....point kickouts this year could consistently hit the centre circle .....you'll increasingly need a speedy midfield, and speed has been a focus of our drafting

It's going to be increasingly harder for a Matt Crouch if ball-ups reduce

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally I would pass on FAs this year, but make a play next year when we see where our needs are.

As far as trading them out, well it all depends on what compo we get... :oops:

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has Ben Davis officially been delisted?

I'm seeing an increasing open game, faster thru the midefield .....point kickouts this year could consistently hit the centre circle .....you'll increasingly need a speedy midfield, and speed has been a focus of our drafting

It's going to be increasingly harder for a Matt Crouch if ball-ups reduce

I don't think it's too unexpected to see a more open game, after all, the best way to break a zonal defence is to run at it. Though point kick-outs increasingly hitting the centre circle is probably not going to happen. After all, the torp works best as a surprise tactic.

Matt Crouch will survive any changes to a more open game because he's a gun accumulator. That said, we probably want more well-rounded footballers (which players like Schoenberg, Berry, and Pedlar project to be) in our midfield then a Priddis/Scott Thompson clone. The game has been slowly moving away from the smaller inside accumulators with limited game-breaking ability.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Yeah IMO we should be moving on one of Laird or Matt. Both will be similar types of players for our midfield going forward, need to start investing in Hately/Pedlar/Schoenberg etc

Keep one around for club leadership, though. Matt seems to be the more leadership-focused one?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I don't think it's too unexpected to see a more open game, after all, the best way to break a zonal defence is to run at it. Though point kick-outs increasingly hitting the centre circle is probably not going to happen. After all, the torp works best as a surprise tactic.

Matt Crouch will survive any changes to a more open game because he's a gun accumulator. That said, we probably want more well-rounded footballers (which players like Schoenberg, Berry, and Pedlar project to be) in our midfield then a Priddis/Scott Thompson clone. The game has been slowly moving away from the smaller inside accumulators with limited game-breaking ability.
With the 15 mtr allowance for the point kicker in .... he’ll run another 10 mtrs and hitting the centre circle will happen

Or a mark in the centre square, and play on
... either way the DEF is going to be under a lot of pressure this year

May 4, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah IMO we should be moving on one of Laird or Matt. Both will be similar types of players for our midfield going forward, need to start investing in Hately/Pedlar/Schoenberg etc

Keep one around for club leadership, though. Matt seems to be the more leadership-focused one?
Age wise, makes sense to move on Laird (25 vs 27). Laird also has the VIC gf.

But would suck to lose either one. Really love Laird. He's looked amazing since moving to the midfield (IMO better than his 2018 AA/BnF year).

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like Davis but it is systematic of what is wrong with this club that we hold onto a player until he is coming into FA and give him 2 games. I'd understand if he was unluckily injured and we still thought if he got his body right but we need to learn to cut our losses a little quicker than that.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I like Davis but it is systematic of what is wrong with this club that we hold onto a player until he is coming into FA and give him 2 games. I'd understand if he was unluckily injured and we still thought if he got his body right but we need to learn to cut our losses a little quicker than that.
Davis hasn't been around long enough to earn FA. The reason he's a FA is because we had to delist him last year, as part of the process of transferring him from the senior list to the rookie list.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Davis hasn't been around long enough to earn FA. The reason he's a FA is because we had to delist him last year, as part of the process of transferring him from the senior list to the rookie list.

Ah OK makes sense ( Just saying, would not be beyond the realms of our club to keep someone that long and not play them).

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Ah OK makes sense ( Just saying, would not be beyond the realms of our club to keep someone that long and not play them).
We've had plenty of examples of player who hung around that long, while playing minimal numbers of games - CEY springs quickly to mind. Mitch Grigg wouldn't have been too far off earning FA by the time they finally sent him back to the SANFL where he belongs.

Back