Free Kick Count

Remove this Banner Ad

it's probably even worse than that. Too many games have I watched a one sided count (whole range of teams not talking just Freo) often with large effect on the outcome, only for the whistle to go, often softly, the other way in the last when it's usually too late, i.e. the 'correction'.

it's probably even worse than that. Too many games have I watched a one sided count (whole range of teams not talking just Freo) often with large effect on the outcome, only for the whistle to go, often softly, the other way in the last when it's usually too late, i.e. the 'correction'.
The old 'free kicks for them in front of goal' evened up with the soft frees in the back pocket for us

Yet the headline in the West says “everyone hates Collingwood except the umps”. Sounds like it’s going to be pies first and the rest a distant last. Which is what most WC fans perceive to be the case, and don’t try to tell them any different.

The old 'free kicks for them in front of goal' evened up with the soft frees in the back pocket for us
And the old free kick, play on, advantage that we seem to get a fair bit

one thing I've found that skews this is that many teams have a couple of outlier games with a massive free kick differential, which is why I do my free kick table based on who wins the free kick counts of each individual game. then you have things like correction free kicks once the result of a game is decided, timing & location of free kicks and perhaps the most telling yet most under-reported - the free kicks that aren't paid.

and even though WC tops the graph in the OP, since the 'affirmation noises' brouhaha last year they've really come back to the pack when it comes to free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proof that there are more undisciplined teams than others.

A team can win a free kick count 50-0 and it can be all correct decision/non-decisions

Taken over 20 seasons of AFL football. Absolutely no surprises here.View attachment 727338

So West Coast are the only non VFL team to get a fair go Away from home.
The other 7 interstate teams are all in the bottom half of Free Kicks for Away games.
That is strong support for two things that the vast majority of us already believe ... West Coast get looked after like VFL teams do.

If you really want to get a clear picture of umpiring bias, take a special note of what the Frees are early in a match.
West Coast will be well above that 125% after the first quarter.
I've posted previously how I went back over the matches and studied Freo's Free Kicks in the first quarters in 2015 from R7-R20. It was 27 to 61.
That was after some fair to even favourable umpiring in the first 6 rounds of 2015 ... but then with Freo unbeaten and on top of the ladder, there was an obvious change.

proof that umpires get sucked in by crowds

home teams win more games and typically you win the free kick count if you win. The reason why these teams struggle is that

Melb, Hawks, Saints, GC, Bris and Rich say hi.

Melb/Saints/GC/Bris/Rich all haven't been particularly successful over the journey.

For the hawks i guess they just got screwed.

home teams win more games and typically you win the free kick count if you win. The reason why these teams struggle is that

I look at a great deal of Free Kick stats and I generally don't see that. I think it's just your subjective opinion not backed by results.
For example, I just quickly looked at West Coasts last 5 years of losses at home (for Home & Away games).
They have lost 11 games. 7 times they won the free kicks and the totals were 226FF vs 180FA ... 125.5%.

So West Coast are the only non VFL team to get a fair go Away from home.
The other 7 interstate teams are all in the bottom half of Free Kicks for Away games.
That is strong support for two things that the vast majority of us already believe ... West Coast get looked after like VFL teams do.

If you really want to get a clear picture of umpiring bias, take a special note of what the Frees are early in a match.
West Coast will be well above that 125% after the first quarter.
I've posted previously how I went back over the matches and studied Freo's Free Kicks in the first quarters in 2015 from R7-R20. It was 27 to 61.
That was after some fair to even favourable umpiring in the first 6 rounds of 2015 ... but then with Freo unbeaten and on top of the ladder, there was an obvious change.

Don't forget the Margetts and Dalgleish factor..

Don't forget the Margetts and Dalgleish factor..
I do think that the the individual umpires need to be monitored. Not so much to "catch them out", because I think the nature of umpires is to be fair, but to redress any bias that comes into decision making. Fully professional umpiring needs to be the standard with the capacity for them to work nationally and regularly outside of their home states.

Having said that....not an easy game to umpire, which anyone who has ever worn the whistle knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back